What's new

Netgear RAX120 Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have nothing but issues on latest firmware droo back to 1.0.2.136 and its best it can be always having issues with dchp and 2.4. So have to have ac wireless extender to make sure my smart devices and ip cameras connect and also reserve the ip addresses, so that they connect as soon as I put 1.0.2.16 it works perfect for around 24 hours then it literally shirtsitself I believe its something with dchp as decices drop off and tells me to sign in. Hoping that openwrt or tomato firmware will be released.

This is what stops me from buying another NG router...hardware specs are great but it's a 400 dollar router with 90 days of software support. Then one is on their own with any issues...only recourse is to drop back to a working version the firmware and stay on it if you hit a firmware bug..or pay for support.

Did you try posting to the NG communities ..one can at least get "me toos" there.

This is what stops me from buying another NG router...hardware specs are great but it's a 400 dollar router with 90 days of software support. Then one is on their own with any issues...only recourse is to drop back to a working version the firmware and stay on it if you hit a firmware bug..or pay for support.

Did you try posting to the NG communities ..one can at least get "me toos" there.
Constantly putting threads on there would say around 12 and I just get ignored. Have contacted the moderators on that forum and all I get back is will get back to you. Had 1 rma and that was a nightmare to do as netgear support are scripted and just terrible . There hardware is fantastic but support and firmware is trash. If they had asus merlin firmware the router would be unbelievable.

Constantly putting threads on there would say around 12 and I just get ignored. Have contacted the moderators on that forum and all I get back is will get back to you. Had 1 rma and that was a nightmare to do as netgear support are scripted and just terrible . There hardware is fantastic but support and firmware is trash. If they had asus merlin firmware the router would be unbelievable.

How frustrating, it causes me to wonder if there is a hardware issue with your specific device. Of course, that means another trip into the Netgear NON support nightmare. I put my RAX120 up several weeks ago on or around March 16. Updated to 1.2.0.16 upon bringing it home and I have not experienced one issue with the router. I have today 34 devices connected of all types, iPhones, Pads, Ring, NAS, Printers, Generac generator, vehicles, three wireless extenders, etc., and when the offspring arrives the numbers go up quickly. I have a mix of AC and AX devices with 160mHz enabled. As I sit at my desk presently, I just did an Ookla speed test and it registered 1350mbs down and 42 up. It has not been below 1350mbs on every day this week. I do have a Netgear 2050V modem online with Comcast using the multi-gig lan port for modem/router connection. Stable as can be for weeks. It has been rebooted only when configuration changes required it. I do have an Netgear R7000 at my mother's running asus-merlin ver 386.2.4 (Xwrt-Vortex) without issue and ran Voxel on my R9000 and this router was astounding on the Voxel firmware and continues service for one of my daughters. I believe with some mystery I have version 1 of the RAX120.

Had one rma was also same unfortunately. They always say to do reset after upgrading firmwares and to do firmware upgrade wired. I have done tftp flash aswell and been into what people call secret Netgear menus and tried improve wifi option on and off. I have asked Christian at Netgear if any beta firmware or fixes are on the list but had nothing back its strange as its either 50/50 it either works or doesnt, I have been testing a Netgear extender which is due to come on the market soon but hasnt played nice with the rax120 and alot of people are rescently having issues with the eax extender. The hardware on Netgear devices are amazing but there support and firmware is just the worst im hoping they will make this router as good as the r7000 but I feel they know something is wrong and have abandoned the rax line. By the way super jelous of your broadband speed only get 60mbps down and 18 upload hoping for fttp soon.

No issues with my device either, QoS is a disaster they wont fix but the router puts out the best wifi speeds and coverage of any router I have thrown at it. Have you enabled 160Mhz by any chance? Or Bitdefender Armor? Both should be steered well clear of in my view, also I know the firmwares are the same on the surface but make sure you download the one for your version of the router. Flash leave while having coffee, hold reset button in on the back (Not GUI) for 20 seconds then wait for another 5 minutes while it sorts itself out then set up. I have 20 odd devices with DHCP reservation and no issues whatsoever with speeds or connectivity. Then again I don't run Armor, that seems to cause issues on all NG routers. I tried a RT-AX88U recently from a friend and it didn't give such good results with the wifi and the GUI I found interesting but cluttered. I can literally use 5 Ghz 30 ft away with a Factime call outside out of my 80 year old bungalow though very thick walls and it does not miss a beat.

Could you post your setup? Maybe that may help those of us with no major issues (apart from QoS) If you have turned it on and altered any settings you will loose speed on the download and upload (should not behave this way) and only re-flashing the firmware fixes the situation, ignore Armor by ticking never remind me and resetting will fix this issue until they push a new firmware out, considering its been almost 6 months since the last I have no idea when though.

Well, Netgear has released a new firmware for rAX120 v1 & v2-1.2.1.22. I will flash it later today and run it through its paces.

Firmware version 1.2.1.22 has been up for over 24 hours and is operating without a glitch I can find. When I first completed the update, the wireless icon in the system tray showed limited connection bars. I checked the ASUS PCE-AX58BT adapter status and it showed connected at 390 mbs. I disabled and re-enabled the adapter and it connected at 2 gig where it has remained. I am attaching an Ookla speed test.

I currently have 24 devices attached including extenders, NAS, and so on. Stable so far. I am running the AX and160Mhz w/OFDMA checked in both frequencies.

Attachments

• SpeedTestCSM746.jpg
    SpeedTestCSM746.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 198
Firmware version 1.2.1.22 has been up for over 24 hours and is operating without a glitch I can find. When I first completed the update, the wireless icon in the system tray showed limited connection bars. I checked the ASUS PCE-AX58BT adapter status and it showed connected at 390 mbs. I disabled and re-enabled the adapter and it connected at 2 gig where it has remained. I am attaching an Ookla speed test.

I currently have 24 devices attached including extenders, NAS, and so on. Stable so far. I am running the AX and160Mhz w/OFDMA checked in both frequencies.
Just checking in on the status of any rumors regarding Voxel firmware for the RAX120? Or any other rumors concerning improvements in firmware. I am still experiencing stability with the latest Netgear firmware. No problems. The adapter generally is connecting in the adapter status spec within Windows at 2.4 gig on the 160mhz channels. No problems with the other devices either. The internet download speeds with XFinity remain north of 1.3 gig. So, I guess I cannot bitch too much. Having used Voxel on the 7800 and 9000 with great results, it encourages one to wonder.

Just checking in on the status of any rumors regarding Voxel firmware for the RAX120? Or any other rumors concerning improvements in firmware. I am still experiencing stability with the latest Netgear firmware. No problems. The adapter generally is connecting in the adapter status spec within Windows at 2.4 gig on the 160mhz channels. No problems with the other devices either. The internet download speeds with XFinity remain north of 1.3 gig. So, I guess I cannot bitch too much. Having used Voxel on the 7800 and 9000 with great results, it encourages one to wonder.
Latest firmware for me is working alot better the only slight issue is google products seem to be dropping connection now and then but all other devices are working fine.

Yesterday, I flashed the latest firmware Netgear offers-1.2.2.24. All is stable and my speeds according to Ookla are: 15ms ping, 1304.60 mbs down, and 42.05 up. I have 25 devices attached including two Netgear EX8000 extenders, an Amped-EX AC2600 extender, and numerous machines, printers, and i devices. Still running 160 mhz AX enabled with only one machine that has that capacity through an ASUS AX58T. This mix and match of 2.4, 5ghz, and an AX machine and all is working fine. I have set up some guest networks as well and they are stable. So, unless something else rears its ugly head, I recommend this upgrade.

Yesterday, I flashed the latest firmware Netgear offers-1.2.2.24. All is stable and my speeds according to Ookla are: 15ms ping, 1304.60 mbs down, and 42.05 up. I have 25 devices attached including two Netgear EX8000 extenders, an Amped-EX AC2600 extender, and numerous machines, printers, and i devices. Still running 160 mhz AX enabled with only one machine that has that capacity through an ASUS AX58T. This mix and match of 2.4, 5ghz, and an AX machine and all is working fine. I have set up some guest networks as well and they are stable. So, unless something else rears its ugly head, I recommend this upgrade.
Did they fix the lousy QoS though, this router needed a decent QoS from the start and it just never happened. It seems only broadcom routers get a half decent QoS these days from Netgear in their AX range unlike the good old R7800 back in the days of AC Qualcomm routers. The QoS on the RAX120 has been crippled since it was released. So much power has been crammed into this router and its got the worst performing upstream only (for some weird reason) QoS I have seen in years, its a real shame.

Did they fix the lousy QoS though, this router needed a decent QoS from the start and it just never happened. It seems only broadcom routers get a half decent QoS these days from Netgear in their AX range unlike the good old R7800 back in the days of AC Qualcomm routers. The QoS on the RAX120 has been crippled since it was released. So much power has been crammed into this router and its got the worst performing upstream only (for some weird reason) QoS I have seen in years, its a real shame.
I did not see it in the brief release notes, but who knows. seems by the numbering they have a few fixes in the firmware. But, that is so frustrating and I stick with Netgear time after time. I was thinking of ASUS. I run an R7000 at my mother's that I run XWRT-Merlin on and I like the interface and the performance on such an old router....

So QoS doesn't work yet?
Last time I used it the router needed a complete firmware update to recover it, the QoS effected download (it should not) and the graph for upload looked like a demented buzz saw, QoS on this router has always been odd, it still lists MSN and Yahoo messenger, its very basic, and tbh I'm not going to turn it on and test it again to go though the nightmare of getting it back to behaving normally until Netgear admit there was an issue and its been fixed. The logs also vanished after about two weeks, not just the old ones that is expected but you would end up with gaps in the current logs, days would vanish and reappear its been a bit of a mess yet the router itself is great, lousy firmware has been the bane of it and the V2 has no new features over the V1 so there is no point in hunting one down, you wont get UL OFDMA even though the v2 should be capable of supporting this and BSS colouring and TWT. Great router stability wise as long as you don't use QoS (may have been fixed I'm just not using it so test it yourself is the best thing I can say), amazing coverage, but lousy firmware has not helped and reporting it has not helped maybe due to Covid 19 issues I would imagine and maybe a lack of people writing new firmware for Netgear, who knows.

Be carful that dude is known for back doors and hacking. I would never even consider running his illegal code.
Thanks for the advice, just happens I retired that router since I posted. Replaced it with a R7800 running Voxel that I had at one of my daughter's when we upgraded her's in Austin, TX. So, I appreciate it...thankfully, my mother does not use the internet (she is 88) and I only used it when visiting with idevices. I was unaware that this guy had a reputation.

I have been running 1.2.3.28 since early November 2021 with stable results. Speeds are still up there and no burps whatsoever. I still running over 25 devices and have 160Hz enabled using an ASUS PCE-AX58BT PCIE adapter. Download speeds remain in the 1.3 gig range. Don't know is QOS got touched for Killhippie, but it would be great if they would pay it some attention.