What's new

Netgear WNDR3700 available in the UK

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The only 680 MHz router CPU I am aware of is the Atheros AR7161, which is also in the WRT400N. While one way transmission for the two are not directly comparable since the 400N has only a 10/100 switch, total simultaneous throughput was around 150 Mbps. At 64MB, the 3700 has double the memory of the 400N.

I would not be terribly surprised if the radios used are the same as the D-Link DIR-825 B1 and WRT400N (Atheros AR9220/AR9223).

No contact from NETGEAR yet re the WNDR3700. Don't see it in FCC ID database yet either.

The only 680 MHz router CPU I am aware of is the Atheros AR7161, which is also in the WRT400N.

That's good info - thanks
As the WRT400N seems to be let down by features as opposed to function (other than range for the 5Ghz band), it looks quite encouraging. Certainly worth looking out for.

thanks

No contact from NETGEAR yet re the WNDR3700. Don't see it in FCC ID database yet either.

Hmm, so it looks like Broadbandbuyer have jumped the gun somewhat. How long in advance of general availability do products appear in the FCC database?

rgds

Hmm, so it looks like Broadbandbuyer have jumped the gun somewhat. How long in advance of general availability do products appear in the FCC database?
Depends. Some manufacturers get early versions of products FCC approved and then never ship them.

I'll ping NETGEAR and see where they are on the product.

Word is that NETGEAR is getting close to shipping. SNB will be one of the first to receive review product.

Brilliant - thanks Tim. Fingers crossed it's a good product.
I'll keep my eyes open on SNB for your review.

Just spoke to BroadbandBuyer and they said that Netgear had expected it to be released in August, but it's now been pushed out until October.
Not sure how these things work - I'm assuming you don't get review devices until very close to the release date at the earliest, and probably not until after the release date. I do hope it performs as well as it looks like it could.

rgds

It is now: PY308300092

Pictures aren't very telling though.
Memory: 2x32 MB DDR
CPU: Atheros
Switch: Realtek RTL8366SR
Radios are covered but the chip size doesn't rule out Atheros.

Thanks, jdabbs. With all of the thermal pads, looks like NETGEAR is trying to be cautious about thermal effects. Will be interesting whether all the pads survive to the production design.

Atheros-based design says a lot. Not sure of the exact chipset. But probably similar to Cisco/Linksys WRT400N:
- Atheros AR7161 CPU and MAC/Baseband
- 5 GHz: Atheros AR9220
- 2.4 GHz: Atheros AR9223

Ooh, now that is exciting (tho I'm not so au fait with component specifics). The WRT400N seems to have got a pretty good review here on SNB. And the FCC site (despite the invalid security certificate) has a link to the product manual PDF, which I've downloaded and will peruse at my leisure.

Fingers crossed here; really hoping it is the holy grail - fast routing, good coverage of both 2.4 & 5 Ghz, and a gigabit switch. Time will tell, no doubt.

thanks chaps.

Just scanning the manual, it looks to have some great functionality - for instance, assigning a name to a MAC address when using MAC address filtering - I always have problems remembering what MAC address applies to what wireless device.
That feature is not on any of the routers I've used recently.

I went to Netgear's site and "Pre-ordered" my 3700 this morning. I'm not in a hurry for a new router and i've always liked Netgear in the past. Hopefully it won't be TOO long before i get it.