What's new

FCC OET Filings--December

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdabbs

Super Moderator
For a device to utilize the radio spectrum in the United States, the FCC requires hardware manufacturers to apply for the relevant license. These publically-accessible applications typically include manuals, specifications, and photos of internal hardware; from this information the capabilities/performance of a particular device can be estimated weeks before the product reaches retail.

For December 1st-31st:

"D Link Corporation"
DIR-635 Rev B3 I wasn't familiar with this model. According to reviews, the 635 was D-Link's first entry into the 11n market. Present availability is scarce, but D-Link may have plans to change that with this new revision. Features a 200MHz Ubicom IP5100U CPU, Realtek RTL8306G 10/100 Switch Chip, and an Atheros AR9223 2.4 GHz 2T2R radio chipset. Markings on the memory were unreadable, but I doubt this unit strays from the 4MB Flash/16MB DRAM platform.
DWA-130 Rev C1 USB 11n adapter Uses a Realtek RTL8192U and 8256 radio. 2.4GHz; 2T2R.
DIR-605 Rev B1 The previous revision of this router debuted only a month ago; this time they've migrated to a single Ralink RT3052F integrated CPU/Switch/Radio. 10/100; 2.4GHz; 2T2R. This chip is also used by last month's Belkin F5D8236-4 v2.

"Cisco-Linksys LLC"
DMC-250 11n music player (Director) I don't know enough about multimedia players to have any insight. Dual-band.
DMP-100 11n music extender (Player) Also dual-band.
WRTU54Gv2-TM 11g router w/ 2 phone ports. No internal photos so details are sparse.
WRT160N v3 Newest revision of Linksys's entry-level 11n router. Broadcom combo 2.4 GHz radio/CPU (chip markings too blurry to read), 2 1.5 dBi antennas, BCM5325E 10/100 switch chip. RAM is also blurry, but appears to be 32 MB DDR.
WRT320N Dual-band Wireless-N Gigabit Router Compared to D-Link, Linksys has been neglecting the 5 GHz market, so this router is a step in the right direction. BCM4717 300 MHz combo CPU/dual-band radio, gigabit switch, and 3 5 dBi antennas. Given that Linksys's current flagship router, the WRT610N, has 3.5/4 dBi antennas, one wonders if Linksys is trying to set a new level of range/performance, or merely trying to cover up the shortcomings of a new-generation radio.

"Netgear Incorporated"
No filings.

"TRENDware International Inc."
TEW-P11G Wireless 11g Print Server

"Belkin International, Inc."
No filings (only an iPod FM tuner).

Last edited:
Updated for the entirety of December.

Added items:
WRT160N v3
WRT320N Dual-band Wireless-N Gigabit Router

While doing some digging on the WRT320N, I also came across the WRT400N Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router, which is probably positioned to compete directly against D-Link's DIR-825. CES is in January so we may get an official announcement regarding these products.

Edit 10Jan09: Nothing from CES. WRT400N FCC docs located here. Analysis will be posted in the January bulletin unless there is demand otherwise.

Last edited:
Updated for the entirety of December.

Added items:
WRT160N v3
WRT320N Dual-band Wireless-N Gigabit Router

While doing some digging on the WRT320N, I also came across the WRT400N Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router, which is probably positioned to compete directly against D-Link's DIR-825. CES is in January so we may get an official announcement regarding these products.

Your good at this FCC stuff I am just trying to get the hang of it...

The FCC site isn't exactly user-friendly, but there are a few tricks to help find what you're looking for:

If you can't find any products from a particular company, try googling "FCC ID product or company name." The first three characters of the ID is the grantee code, which should be universal for a particular company. This is useful for handling companies whose brand name differs from the FCC applicant name, like Trendnet/Trendware. This method isn't always foolproof; some companies maintain their own line of products while rebadging that of others, for which the license may only correspond to the original company (Hawking/Edimax). Another exception is Cisco, who uses a separate code to segregate Linksys products from their main line. I try to help people who want to perform their own lookups by putting the exact applicant name used in quotation marks.

I haven't found partial FCC ID searches to be terribly effective; wildcard searches usually end up being luck of the draw. Instead, I search a company's line with reasonable date constraints, then Ctrl-F through the results.

The FCC site isn't exactly user-friendly, but there are a few tricks to help find what you're looking for:

If you can't find any products from a particular company, try googling "FCC ID product or company name." The first three characters of the ID is the grantee code, which should be universal for a particular company. This is useful for handling companies whose brand name differs from the FCC applicant name, like Trendnet/Trendware. This method isn't always foolproof; some companies maintain their own line of products while rebadging that of others, for which the license may only correspond to the original company (Hawking/Edimax). Another exception is Cisco, who uses a separate code to segregate Linksys products from their main line. I try to help people who want to perform their own lookups by putting the exact applicant name used in quotation marks.

I haven't found partial FCC ID searches to be terribly effective; wildcard searches usually end up being luck of the draw. Instead, I search a company's line with reasonable date constraints, then Ctrl-F through the results.

I've tried the google method but still come up short. Sometimes I get luckly. I know you and me and Tim like to know what's inside the product before you shell out money. OpenWRT and DD-WRT have lots of info about what's inside the network device and Xbit is a good starting point.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!