What's new

NETGEAR WNDR3700 Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello

Apologies if I'm waffling but I would very much appreciate some guidance :)

I currently have Virgin (UK) 50MB cable which is served to a DIR-615 which from my limited time with the device isn't the best when it comes to provisioning wireless nor is the LAN stable as my previous Cisco 877.

I live in a Victorian house which has 5 bedrooms, the house has 4 floors, basement (L1), first floor (L2), Second Floor (L3) and Attic (L4).

The router and modem are currently located in the basement L1 and I have a Cat5e cable which travels to the attic L4 where I have an access point the Netgear WPN802.

We use a mixture of Windows and Mac's at home and I manage a speed of 50MB only when connected via ethernet. On the first floor speeds are around 21MB and in the attic I barely get 19MB even though I'm 2 meters from the WPN802.

I'm contemplating swapping the DIR-615 with the WNDR3700 and would also like a similar access point (any recommendations?).

With regards to the WNDR3700 purchase according to this article (I know it's dated) am I better off importing the unit from the USA?

Will I ever be able to have a full WLAN throughput of 50MB bearing in mind I can currently get half from the DIR-615?

Thanks everyone :D

Are you talking Bytes or Bits and how are you measuring speed?

Hi Tim

The cable connection (50mbps) gives me a download speed of anything between 5.5-6mb/sec download.

I use www.speedtest.net to measure the speed.

The figures above in my post are speedtests around various points in the house. I don't do much internal transfers. On my MacBook it doesn't tell me the speed I'm connected at

Sorry, I'm still confused.

If you are measuring download speeds from the Internet and you say that you typically get 5-6 Mbps speed (is this via wired or wireless connection?), then where do the 19 and 21 Mbps wireless speeds you previously quoted come from?

Sorry Tim

The speeds I am refering to are with respect to the ISP provisioning of 50mb, via cat5e I get 5-6mb/sec which is the max for 50mb when I'm downloading and the speedtest shows 50mb respectivley.

The same speedtest elsewhere gives me 21mb less than 50% of 50mb giving me downloads speeds of only 2-2.5 mb instead of 6ish

hope I haven't confused you even more

WNDR3700 as extender

hello,
Sorry but Im new to networking.
I just moved to the house and have no internet.
My neighbor has agreed to share his wifi with me until i get mine landline.
Because the signal is weak in my room I was thinking of getting the netgear, connect it with ETH cable to the computer move it to the place of better signal.
Can i use wndr3700 to connect to other network via wifi and not the WAN ETH cable ? if not then what would that feature be called so i can find other devices ???

Thanks for help

Smartin

Ok, so I returned a WRT610N (I got on sale at Best Buy) today and exchanged it for a WNDR3700.

So far, I'm not happy w/ the exchange. I've setup everything as close as possible to how I had my WRT610N setup and with the 5GHz radio, I'm only getting 54mbps connections w/ my PCs that have 5GHz cards.

I don't see any channel bonding settings either.

Hello guys,
Today I have purchased a new wndr3700, and I sell my wrt610n. The netgear router is awsome :)
But I hava a strange issue :
I have intel 5300 wifi card
and on 2.4 GHz up to 300 Mbps so @ 40 Mhz the speed is much faster than on 5 GHz up to 300 Mbps. It is quite strange I think. I'm sitting next to the router, so distance doesn't count. What should I do?
according to upc speedtest @ 2.4 GHz the speed is about 70-90 Mbit
& 5 GHz only 55-60 ..okay I see, almost same result in SNB test :)
Another question in connection with the DHCP: I assigned 192.168.1.6 for my wireless client, after I choose the 5 GHz channel it changes to 1.21, why? The mac address is the same

Last edited:
I just bought and hooked up my WNDR 3700 to my Windows 7 64-bit desktop PC. The initial hook up worked fine. It is upon REBOOTING, the next morning, when I discovered a huge issue: the WNDR 3700 puts TWO network adapters on my Win 7 64-bit desktop and one of them shows an address of 0:0:0:0. As this is a desktop, naturally, this is connected via a wired ethernet connection.

FYI: my Asus motherboard's ethernet controller (built-in) is the Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

The issue is that there are NO internet connections possible in this way. The only workaround is to disable all the network adapters and reconnect - this will allow internet to go through for ONE SESSION ONLY, without rebooting. Once you, say for example, turn the PC off for the evening and go to bed, the next morning, upon rebooting, the 2nd network adapter shows up again (along with the proper, expected, usual 1st network adapter showing the correct connection to the router, and NO internet connection is possible.

Oddly, the wifi portion to my laptops work fine because there is no direct ethernet connection, only wifi.

Netgear's phone support was no help: they told me to return this wireless router!

Is it possible to stream 1080p using wireless? I assume not but doesn't hurt to ask. (read in a user review 1080p youtube worked for him).

distance about 15 feet.

I'm gonna quote myself if anyone else wonders.

I have:
  • WNDR3700
  • linksys wusb600n
  • WD TV Live

Streaming 1080p mkv's from a HDD attached to the WNDR3700 works fine. Typical bitrate of these files video + audio is around 10-13 MBit/s.

fast forward also works pretty fine. No big difference comapred to directly attaching the hdd to the wd tv.

I'm running this on a seprate 5 Ghz network with a check mark at "enable video network".

linksys wusb600n was chosen because WD TV Live only supports certain usb-wlan sticks. but I think it's a good deal anyway.

Distance is of course short and there is only 1 wall in the direct line. So rather optimal conditions.

There are easly over 5 other wlans in the area but no issue. probably because none are 5 ghz.

So i would say this is pretty nice setup for a basic and cheap "Media network".

Slow connection with WDNR 3700

I Bought WNDR 3700 hoping the speed problem getting solved but it is much worst than all other Netgear routers i had before. This definitive my last netgear route i bought. It is a mess and that's my goodbye to netgear.

Even the Numbers on that Image are not recognizable. Damn Netgear

Guest Network Issue

I just installed one of these WNDR3700's and it is FAST. Remote access from outside the network is very responsive over the net, coverage is very good, nice router.

However, when I enable the guest network, it turns off the radios and I need to power cycle the router to turn them back on. Anyone solve that issue yet?

Jim

Much discussion about this on the netgear.com forum and elsewhere. Apparently a bug in the current firmware.

RA

WNDR3700 Guest Network

Thanks, RA. Otherwise, this router is awesome. I hope that they get this fixed soon.

I have logged it with support.

Jim

good day guys.

i am using WRT610N and very not satisfy with its wifi performance.
so i want to buy WNDR3700. My connection as following:

internet --> Modem -->WRT610N (wire)-->WNDR3700 --> wifi -->PC

thats to say i want WNDR3700 to become AP, can i set that?

btw: WRT610N using DD-WRT firmware

thanks much.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!