What's new

NETGEAR WNDR3700 Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just installed one of these routers and had major issues with 2.4 ghz wireless throughput. No matter WHAT I did I could not get it to throughput more than 1 Mb/sec on my laptop with 98% signal strength. I did several side by side, controlled tests with my TRENDnet TEW-633GR and the TRENDnet consistently pulled 3x to 4x the throughput of the WNDR3700 under identical conditions.

The forums at Netgear are full of the same kinds of issues. I tried everything, disabling the 5 ghz radio, turning off SPI, NAT, USB, traffic meter, no combination of features allowed me to achieve acceptable throughput.

I would reccomend staying away from this router until they issue new firmware and then try to find out if it performs as advertised in the many reviews that have praised it.

I'm having horrible luck with the WNDR3700. I was really surprised to see it get such high marks. It is just a horribly inconsistent router.

If you enable the guest network with the current version 55 firmware, it disables the wifi altogether. So I called up Netgear. They gave me a beta firmware that works with the guest network, but Wifi Protected Setup doesn't work with it! The bandwidth meter that is built in makes the router unresponsive after a few days. So do the log files.

If I run torrents overnight, by the morning, the internet connection through the router is extremely slow, requiring a router reboot.

Torrents also seem to make RDP sessions extremely laggy and unresponsive, and this is on a Gigabit network that might have 10Mbit worth of torrent traffic on it. There should be plenty of spare bandwidth for RDP on the LAN while the small amount of torrent traffic goes to the WAN.

Even when I'm not running a torrent, if I try to copy a large group of files (say 5GB or so) from one computer to another (wired connection through a Gigabit ethernet switch that is uplinked to the WNDR3700), eventually the copy stalls out and I need to reboot the freaking router!

When people report issues to Netgear, they say to wait for the next firmware, or to turn off features that you paid for because they are buggy.

Simple throughput tests are not good enough for testing routers these days. You really have to put them through real usage scenarios over time and see if they start to get unreliable or unresponsive.

Simple throughput tests are not good enough for testing routers these days. You really have to put them through real usage scenarios over time and see if they start to get unreliable or unresponsive.
Very true. But not practical from a review perspective.

This is why we have added a comments and rating feature for all product reviews, so that people can report their own experience.

I just wish more people would take the time to rate and comment about the products that they have purchased.

im tryin to figure out if netgear is really good or just a router thats not made for wireless gaming. The netgear is a WNDR3300 RangeMAX. ive heard that its really made for LAN not wireless. also ive heard from someone that DLink are good for gaming.
Ive got 1 PC on a LAN port 1 Wireless PC and a wireless Xbox 360.
Issue: I loose connection randomly, Cable Modem restarts on its ownmakes me have to wait sometimes.

Is there a better router out there than this one or something is wrong cause it never did this before.

All I can say is i have no problem with this router when it comes to wireless gaming or wireless streaming of netflix at this time. I have to xbox 360 playing at the sametime wirelessly, and most of the time I aam hosting those games.

Only 4k simultaneous sessions

Finally got around to testing the WNDR3700 with the new Simultaneous Connection test. I got only 4096 sessions. Should be plenty for most uses. But 2nd to lowest of all the routers I've tested with the new technique (the D-Link DIR-825 B1 is the lowest).

I've updated the review with this info.

Finally got around to testing the WNDR3700 with the new Simultaneous Connection test. I got only 4096 sessions. Should be plenty for most uses. But 2nd to lowest of all the routers I've tested with the new technique (the D-Link DIR-825 B1 is the lowest).

I've updated the review with this info.

That is because on the standard firmware the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max option has been set to a value of 4096. This value could be the linux kernel module default value based on the amount of RAM available on the box, or could be a specific value that is set by the netgear firmware. It is possible to increase this value, but care should be taken in relation to memory usage.

That is because on the standard firmware the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max option has been set to a value of 4096. This value could be the linux kernel module default value based on the amount of RAM available on the box, or could be a specific value that is set by the netgear firmware. It is possible to increase this value, but care should be taken in relation to memory usage.

In DD-WRT firmware on Buffalo if I use it as a Router the default value is 4096 connections even on 200MHz with 16MB of RAM. But the WNDR3700 has 680MHz with 64MB of RAM so can't see the harm to increase that by 4 = 16,384 connections. If you can do it though?

How could I do this?

Everytime I game on counter-strike and refresh the server list my router locks up because of the max connections...

I would like to increase this but don't know how, is it possible to modify this somehow?

Its a great router but Ive had to stop using it because of this issue when gaming and refreshing servers :(

Thanks!
Mr_DoughBoy

How could I do this?

Everytime I game on counter-strike and refresh the server list my router locks up because of the max connections...

I would like to increase this but don't know how, is it possible to modify this somehow?

Its a great router but Ive had to stop using it because of this issue when gaming and refreshing servers :(

Thanks!
Mr_DoughBoy

Not only gaming is effected, also P2p connections. The router just can't handle mass connections. It will lock-up. All there in black & white on NetGear own forum.

Not only gaming is effected, also P2p connections. The router just can't handle mass connections. It will lock-up. All there in black & white on NetGear own forum.

Yes however when flashed with DD-WRT firmware you can increase the max connections. I set this to unlimited and it worked perfectly and didnt crash once, however DD-WRT wireless preformance is bad and there isnt a fix out yet.

So I was hoping to see if its possible to modify the netgear's firmware to increase the max connections somehow?

Yes however when flashed with DD-WRT firmware you can increase the max connections. I set this to unlimited and it worked perfectly and didnt crash once, however DD-WRT wireless preformance is bad and there isnt a fix out yet.

So I was hoping to see if its possible to modify the netgear's firmware to increase the max connections somehow?

So you had increase the default 4096 to unlimited. DD-WRT wireless performance is only great on WRT310n where I had tested it as AP not as a router. I don't know about WRT320n. I was going to get that to see how it goes just $89 bucks brand spanking new.

So you had increase the default 4096 to unlimited. DD-WRT wireless performance is only great on WRT310n where I had tested it as AP not as a router. I don't know about WRT320n. I was going to get that to see how it goes just $89 bucks brand spanking new.

Its a bug or so I've read on the WNDR3700 on the driver with DD-WRT, I cant use the router with that firmware as the wireless signal drops when more than 2 feet away from the router. It seems to be effecting everyone who flashed their firmware with DD-WRT.

Its a bug or so I've read on the WNDR3700 on the driver with DD-WRT, I cant use the router with that firmware as the wireless signal drops when more than 2 feet away from the router. It seems to be effecting everyone who flashed their firmware with DD-WRT.

Beta DD-WRT, I guess they'll work it out?

Has the latest firmware update resolved the DHCP/DNS problems and bad behavior with BitTorrent-protocol applications?

I'm trying to find a modern replacement for my venerable WRT54GL (running dd-wrt), but it seems like there's something wrong with every single dual-band/dual-radio gigabit-switched consumer router on the market.

The Linksys WRT610N/E3000 has a lousy 5GHz signal and is hot enough to cook an egg.
The Netgear WNDR3700 has (as above) buggy DHCP/DNS and freezes up when under multi-connection load.
The D-Link DIR-825 has a mediocre wireless signal as well.

I feel like my needs aren't all that complicated, but it seems increasingly as if I'm going to have to pony up to a business-grade device if I want something that works properly and does what I need. Speaking of what I need:

1) Gigabit switch
2) Dual radio (planning to herd all N devices onto 5GHz and retain 2.4 for G devices)
3) Ability to have ~2,500 open connections for BT and not die
4) Properly-functioning DHCP and DNS (I address and connect to network machines by name, no interest in doing so by IP)
5) Handle a 10Mbit WAN connection

It doesn't seem like that big a deal, really. Can anyone suggest a device that can do these things? I suppose that, if need be, I could make do with a single-band device, I was just hoping to move the laptops up to 5GHz, since it's likely to be a much cleaner part of the spectrum than 2.4GHz is (I can see at least half a dozen networks in my building). My poor WRT54GL just doesn't cut it for wireless speed, and I'm getting tired of having to reset it weekly when it slows to a crawl because of BitTorrent.

Has the latest firmware update resolved the DHCP/DNS problems and bad behavior with BitTorrent-protocol applications?
Don't know, sorry. I can tell you I don't have any problems using uTorrent with my 3 Mbps connection. But I limit connections to 200 and only have 4 concurrent downloads.

I'm trying to find a modern replacement for my venerable WRT54GL (running dd-wrt), but it seems like there's something wrong with every single dual-band/dual-radio gigabit-switched consumer router on the market.

The Linksys WRT610N/E3000 has a lousy 5GHz signal and is hot enough to cook an egg.
The Netgear WNDR3700 has (as above) buggy DHCP/DNS and freezes up when under multi-connection load.
The D-Link DIR-825 has a mediocre wireless signal as well.
The more, faster, stuff you cram into a small package that doesn't have enough air moving through it to remove the heat, the hotter things are going to be. The hotter things get, the more chance of problems and shorter product life.

A single band N radio uses more power than a G radio. Two radios use more than one radio. Gigabit switches run hotter than 10/100 switches.

If you are going to push a router hard with constant high-speed traffic on wired and wireless networks, you either need to supply some cooling with a laptop cooler mat, use separate components or both. An easy place to start is to get the Gigabit switch out of the box into a separate component.

There is no router I've tested that stands out from the pack in the 5 GHz band. None of them have been able to reach my weak signal test locations that can be reached using their 2.4 GHz radios. 5 GHz signals are attenuated more than 2.4 GHz when passing through walls and manufacturers aren't willing to put the power amps in to compensate because most consumers buy on price.

I feel like my needs aren't all that complicated, but it seems increasingly as if I'm going to have to pony up to a business-grade device if I want something that works properly and does what I need.
You probably won't find better performance. But you might get better reliability.

Speaking of what I need:
1) Gigabit switch
2) Dual radio (planning to herd all N devices onto 5GHz and retain 2.4 for G devices)
3) Ability to have ~2,500 open connections for BT and not die
4) Properly-functioning DHCP and DNS (I address and connect to network machines by name, no interest in doing so by IP)
5) Handle a 10Mbit WAN connection
I would get a separate Gigabit switch and not count on 5 GHz unless you have a small area to cover with few walls, preferably not brick.

I can't speak to your DHCP/DNS issue, since I stopped trying to fight that battle awhile ago and just use mapped drives and static IPs for anything I want to be able to reliably find on the network.

Finally, handling a 10Mbps WAN isn't hard. All current-generation products can route at well above that speed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!