What's new

NETGEAR WNDR3700 Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I just got this router to replace my trusty D-Link DIR655 which had become flakey and would periodically dump wireless connections.

I'm confused by the QoS setup on this router. Nothing in the documentation I've found explains its use.

Must the bandwidth field be populated for QoS to function? Is there any auto-calculation of upstream bandwidth that takes place otherwise?

What is the queue mechanism for prioritized packets, is it strict priority queue in which the highest queue can completely monopolize the connection and force the lower priority packets to get dropped?

I do voice over ip implementation for a living and routinely program pretty complicated networks for QoS and I'm baffled by how they completely avoid providing documentation on how QoS is handled.

Maybe I will switch to DD-WRT after it is released for this router if there is not too much of a performance hit.

Hey guys two questions about this router:

Right now my internet service provider is through Qwest DSL and I'm using their provided wireless router. When I play Call of Duty, I often get these short "lags" during gameplay which sometimes causes me to die haha. My question is will hooking this router up and bypassing the provided wireless router from Qwest fix these lags during gameplay? I need something that is consistent and reliable for online gaming.

My second question is kinda off topic but I keep hearing about the 825 B1... Should I wait to purchase a wireless router until this one has been reviewed?

Thanks!
Matt

I'm looking for a new wired/wireless gigabit router and think this 3700 would suffice, BUT, I don't need the extreme wireless performance and wireless features. I feel like the wireless features are what really drive this router's price up (am I rite?), but I wouldn't mind paying extra for the other quality components of the router.

So the question is, is there an alternative model out there that doesn't have so much emphasis on wireless, but more on just being a high quality wired gigabit router? I just don't want to pay a premium for wireless features that I don't really need. 802.11g would even suffice...

It's hard to find alternatives that are as highly rated as this. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I essentially want this exact router, but without all the fancy wireless features. I replace my $25 netgear router once a year so I'm ready to step it up a little in the quality department.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

PS: Also eyeing the DIR-655. Quite a bit cheaper and people seem to be really happy with it (aside from the latest firmware issues...).

Now I was buying my second DIR-825b1, because the first one has been replaced by a WNDR3700, which was a huge disappointment (at least in my flat). I'll take back to the local Saturn store (Munich-Germany). The WNDA3100 is also not very performant in contrast of the "Fritz! Wlan Usb Stick N". The combination of DIR-825b1 and Fritz! Stick has an extremely balanced throughput on both of the supported bands and also the speed is nearly constant (well, better to say: not so much jumping, than...). I was very surprising about it. Even more: this equipment duo performs a little better on 5GHz than on 2,4 GHz ;) Funny isn't it? Another funny thing, that on both frequencies the upload to the router was remarkable higher that the download, I think it was around 5-10 MBit/s difference. Download was tipically 25-35 MBit/s and the upload 35-45 MBit/s on both bands. In the same position, on the same usb-slot, with same router (the DIR) performed the WNDA3100 Stick very depressed ;) Unbalanced performace between the two bands (of course 2,4GHz was better), very-very variing/jumping speed, 2,4 DL was 15-30 MBit/s, UL 25-45 MBit/s, on 5GHz DL was 8-18 MBit/s and UL 20-25 MBit/s. And the stick was even more worst with its company counterpart equipment WNDR3700...

The only problem with the stick, that the mediaplayer, I'm testing now, accepts only the WNDA3100(v1) fron the dual band sticks. DWA-160 wasn't be tested until now. The Fritz! was not recognized by the iStar H6 (like Popcorn Hour A110 or HDX-1000). I'm afraid to start streaming 1080p mkv-videos across my flat ;)

Two annoying thing at DIR-825b1: the sporadical working USB-interface and the access of the admin webinterface. I even not figured out the dependencies to get connected usb device working or not. Anyway, at the first example of the DIR, two weeks ago, the SharePort was completely quiet, not any seconds of working...

Best regards,
vasgyuszi

Last edited:
I'm looking for a new wired/wireless gigabit router and think this 3700 would suffice, BUT, I don't need the extreme wireless performance and wireless features. I feel like the wireless features are what really drive this router's price up (am I rite?), but I wouldn't mind paying extra for the other quality components of the router.

So the question is, is there an alternative model out there that doesn't have so much emphasis on wireless, but more on just being a high quality wired gigabit router? I just don't want to pay a premium for wireless features that I don't really need. 802.11g would even suffice...

It's hard to find alternatives that are as highly rated as this. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I essentially want this exact router, but without all the fancy wireless features. I replace my $25 netgear router once a year so I'm ready to step it up a little in the quality department.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

PS: Also eyeing the DIR-655. Quite a bit cheaper and people seem to be really happy with it (aside from the latest firmware issues...).

The nice thing about this router is that it allows you dial down the wireless to fit your environment, and the gigabit switch is spot on. I have had the DIR-655, and currently have a DGL-4500 that the WNDR3700 replaced, and both were good products until dlink started to mess up the firmware. The price premium for the WNDR3700 gives you a lot to work with, now and into the future, so for me, it is justified. Now that think about it, the DGL-4500 cost more than the 3700.:rolleyes: So, I say bite the bullet and get one. If you don't like it, take it back.

Hi all, you all seem much more knowledgeable than me, perhaps somebody can help...

I'm considering replacing an old AirPort Extreme (the flying saucer) with the WNDR3700. The clients will mostly be:

Laptop "A" with an Intel 4965AGN (which I understand to be an 802.11a/b/g/Draft N that operates in both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz)

Laptop "B" with an Intel 4965AG (I can't actually seem to find much info about this one -- I think it's the same as the 4965AGN, but without the Draft N -- meaning, I think it's 802.11a/b/g that operates in both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz)

Laptop "B" with an Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 3100 3B (just 802.11b)

I'm hoping to determine whether WNDR3700 is a sensible match, for example:

1) is the idea that I would run laptop "A" as an 802.11n client in the 5.0GHz band, and laptops "B" and "C" as 802.11g and 802.11b clients (respectively) in the 2.4GHz band?

2) is it correct that letting laptop "B" on the 5.0GHz band would interfere with the performance of both laptop "A" and laptop "B"? If so, is there a way to configure laptop "B" to stay off the 5.0GHz band?

3) similarly, is it correct that letting laptop "A" on the 2.4GHz band would interfere with the performance of all three laptops? If so, is there a way to configure laptop "A" to only use 802.11g when on the 2.4GHz band?

I hope these questions make sense -- my intention is figure out the smart way to use this stuff together -- or, alternatively, to learn that the WNDR3700 is a nice, but mis-matched, bit of gear for my LAN.

Thanks so much!

Log messages about DoS attacks?

I get periodic messages in the log of my WNDR3700 router about DoS attacks. Interestingly enough, I've used nslookup and tracert to look up the names of the servers at those addresses, and Facebook is one that comes up a lot, and my ISP (Comcast) is another. I'm pretty sure that neither of these sites is launching denial of service attacks against me, so I'm curious what this might mean.

Also, is there some setting that I need to change to deal with this?

Thanks.

-Roger

I get periodic messages in the log of my WNDR3700 router about DoS attacks. Interestingly enough, I've used nslookup and tracert to look up the names of the servers at those addresses, and Facebook is one that comes up a lot, and my ISP (Comcast) is another. I'm pretty sure that neither of these sites is launching denial of service attacks against me, so I'm curious what this might mean.

Also, is there some setting that I need to change to deal with this?

Thanks.

-Roger

Facebook just be careful and use better security software on that site. If you use Firewall Ad Block Plus you can use malware filters. Are you using software firewall?

This router didn't do so well against Belkin N+ V1 and DIR-825 when it comes to 2.4GHz wireless nor the 5GHz band. Still to much hype over a wireless router. I am not taken in by netgear products again. 5 top end switches and wireless N router are just crap.

Log messages about DoS attacks?

Well, I'm much happier with this router than the Linksys WRT310N (version 2) and the Dlink DIR-655 that preceeded it. It works really well at my house, especially with wireless operation and coverage, and I don't see any ill effects from these log messages that I'm aware of, Facebook and Comcast (my ISP) both work well. Just wondering what the router might be seeing that makes it think that it is defeating DoS attacks, and if other people are seeing this in their logs.

I'm currently planning to report it to Netgear as a firmware bug, since I think that's the story. Like I said, it apparently doesn't affect the operation of the router, seems like an anomaly in logging. One never knows, though.

I'm sure that the Dlink DIR-825 B1 and the Belkin N+ are also very good routers, I'm happy with this one at the moment.

Thanks.

-Roger

I gather the WNDR3700 supports a total of four separate networks (via four separate SSIDs) -- two in each of two bands (2.4 and 5), yes? If so, is this a sensible use:

SSID #1 in 2.4 -- for b/g clients
SSID #2 in 2.4 -- for guest clients (which I would turn off when not in use)
SSID #3 in 5 -- for n clients
SSID #4 in 5 -- video optimized

Is there a way to configure SSID #1 to not accept n clients? (so as to avoid the diminished performance when both b/g and n are on at the same time.)

Roger, messages like that aren't bugs. It's just the router telling you that it has detected repeated attempts to connect to a computer on your LAN without that computer initiating the connection. All sorts of things can cause this. Nothing to be concerned with or that you can do anything about.

The guest networks still run on their respective radios. So using a guest network doesn't stop the performance reduction you get when N and a/b/g clients are simultaneously active on each radio.

The guest networks are mainly for security in that they allow different security settings and traffic separation.

Thanks for such endless good info Tim.

If I have a laptop that supports 2.4 and 5 and n connections, I hope to mostly use n over the 5 network. But if I find I'm not getting enough distance over 5, I'll have to switch over to 2.4 -- but is there a way to make sure that connection is over g rather than n?

(if n is mixed with g over a 2.4 connection, I gather they both slow down -- but is this slower mixed n connection still faster than a pure g-only connection?)

Thanks again, -Scott

Dear advanced collegues!

Let me know, how can I use three router in my flat in the following configuration:
DIR-825 NR1: router, connected to the internet
DIR-825 NR2 and NR3: access points resp. bridges, connected to the networks delivered by the router.

So I'll have one network (with a unique SSID) for each band.

BUT how can I assign an equipment to a dedicated SSID when the equipment is behind a bridge and connceted via gigabit LAN to the bridge. As I know, each router/ap/bridge can have only one IP address at time. How can I tell to my computer/streaming player, which network shall be used after the bridge?

OR is there any adjustable routing table within the user interface of the DIR-825, where I can assign IP address of my storage computer to my streaming player?

The main idea was to separate internet traffic from media streaming traffic. My first thought was to get two DAP-1522s for my existing DIR-825, but after reading of Tim's review about it and the fact, that it has a dual radio but cannot be operated simultanous, I changed my position.

The very first idea/solution was: to operate only the DIR-825 (connected via LAN-cable to the NAS) and let receive media streams over WLAN-Sticks plugged into the network players, but the lack of compatibility and the less good radio capacity (compared to a radio built in to a router equipment) moved me to apply an AP/bride or a router.

What are your suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,
vasgyuszi

P.S.: May I found a possible reason to the poor results of my tested WNDR3700: namely the firmware. Maybe the european version has some problems. In the other hand, the europen DIR-825 b1 could have better FW than the US counterpart. Mine has 2.01EU and I was reading on the DLink forum about 2.02US version. Could make it some difference.

Last edited:
The nice thing about this router is that it allows you dial down the wireless to fit your environment, and the gigabit switch is spot on. I have had the DIR-655, and currently have a DGL-4500 that the WNDR3700 replaced, and both were good products until dlink started to mess up the firmware. The price premium for the WNDR3700 gives you a lot to work with, now and into the future, so for me, it is justified. Now that think about it, the DGL-4500 cost more than the 3700.:rolleyes: So, I say bite the bullet and get one. If you don't like it, take it back.
Thanks a lot for the reply.

My only question now is how does the DIR-655 compare to the WNDR3700 in terms of just being a high quality and durable gigabit router? I want something that can handle a lot of traffic and not start degrading after a year.

I should also mention that I have 3 switches hooked up to my router.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

My only question now is how does the DIR-655 compare to the WNDR3700 in terms of just being a high quality and durable gigabit router? I want something that can handle a lot of traffic and not start degrading after a year.

I should also mention that I have 3 switches hooked up to my router.

I also have a similar setup, but with a twist. I have three switches hooked to the primary wndr3700, two are unmanaged, and the third is a second wndr3700 I use for video streaming and legacy wireless. So the primary wndr3700 is handling the traffic from all of these sources. At last count, there are 20 nodes on my home network, and not a glitch one. All switches are gigabit, and have not had a problem one with the router, only time will tell on its durability, but for now, my money's on wndr3700 holding up. I hope this helps.

All switches are gigabit, and have not had a problem one with the router, only time will tell on its durability, but for now, my money's on wndr3700 holding up. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply bluegrass. It was helpful, but I'd still like to know why the WNDR3700 is so much more expensive than the DIR-655. Higher quality construction? More features? Better customer support? Better wireless performance? More durable? Simply overpriced? Looks like there are tons of people who chose the WNDR3700 over the DIR-655, so hopefully some of you out there can give an explanation as to why you chose to pay 80% more to have the WNDR3700.

I wouldn't mind paying more for the WNDR3700 if the cost was justified, but there doesn't seem to be any outstanding reason why it's so much more. If anybody can share some insight on this, it would be much appreciated. Aside from the DIR-655's latest firmware issue, it's hard finding a reason to pick the WNDR3700 instead, especially when considering the major cost difference...

Thanks all.

As an owner of a DIR-655 who then got a WNDR3700, just a few quick points...the WNDR3700 can use 2 bands simultaneously (2 radios), so one can using mixed mode or just wireless g on 2.4 GHz, and the other can be wireless n only on 5 GHz., which has less interference from cordless phones, microwave ovens, baby monitors, etc. And as a result, the 5 GHz. band can run faster since it is wireless n only. Of course, the range of the 5 GHz. band is not as good, so that has to be factored in as well, making it a mixed blessing *smile*.

Also, I had firmware version 1.21 on the DIR-655 (as I recall, the last one before they went to 1.3x where you couldn't go back to any earlier version), and you really couldn't move forward from there if fixes or new features were added since there were a lot of problems reported in the 1.3x releases and once you had gone to 1.3x you were stuck. Maybe Dlnk has put out a solid 1.3x firmware release now, I haven't looked in a while. Interestingly enough, they were continuing to sell the DIR-655 with firmware version 1.21 long after the 1.3x firmware versions were out.

One more thing, I find the wireless coverage with the WNDR3700 much better at my house than the DIR-655.

The total combined throughput for the WNDR3700 is also rated higher, but I don't really see that at this point...I hope to in the future *smile*, but right now I'm limited more by the throughput of what's connected to it than I am by the router itself.

-Roger

As an owner of a DIR-655 who then got a WNDR3700, just a few quick points...the WNDR3700 can use 2 bands simultaneously (2 radios), so one can using mixed mode or just wireless g on 2.4 GHz, and the other can be wireless n only on 5 GHz., which has less interference from cordless phones, microwave ovens, baby monitors, etc. And as a result, the 5 GHz. band can run faster since it is wireless n only. Of course, the range of the 5 GHz. band is not as good, so that has to be factored in as well, making it a mixed blessing *smile*.

Hey Roger, hoping you can help me with one question -- let's say that you're connected via n over 5GHz, and get out of range, so you want to switch to 2.4GHz -- would it be better to connect over 2.4GHz via g rather than n, or is n still better?

Hey Roger, hoping you can help me with one question -- let's say that you're connected via n over 5GHz, and get out of range, so you want to switch to 2.4GHz -- would it be better to connect over 2.4GHz via g rather than n, or is n still better?

Probably depends mostly on your wifi client in your PC. I would try "N" first and see what results you get. In theory, N should give you a bit more range (and obviously more speed), but it all depends on the client chipset, driver and how well it interops with the Atheros chipset in the WNDR3700.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!