What's new

NETGEAR WNDR3700 Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the reply bluegrass. It was helpful, but I'd still like to know why the WNDR3700 is so much more expensive than the DIR-655. Higher quality construction? More features? Better customer support? Better wireless performance? More durable? Simply overpriced? Looks like there are tons of people who chose the WNDR3700 over the DIR-655, so hopefully some of you out there can give an explanation as to why you chose to pay 80% more to have the WNDR3700.

I wouldn't mind paying more for the WNDR3700 if the cost was justified, but there doesn't seem to be any outstanding reason why it's so much more. If anybody can share some insight on this, it would be much appreciated. Aside from the DIR-655's latest firmware issue, it's hard finding a reason to pick the WNDR3700 instead, especially when considering the major cost difference...

Thanks all.

No problem, like some of these other folks are saying, the wndr3700 is a true dual band router. If you have no need for the the other band, then the wndr3700 may not be what you are looking for. There are several other single band gigabit routers out there that would suit your needs(heck if you don't need wireless "N" if you could find a DGL-4300 it would do).
On the price side if things, it is a new product, that has been anticipated and hyped since January, and that always drives the cost up. Add in the double radios on board, and the newer technology (meta-material on board built-in antennas) and the reason for it costing more than a three-time cost reduced product is a little clearer. Again, I hope this helps.

Satisfied users please tell me your WNDR3700 configuration (of course without sensitve data). The poor performance of my WNDR3700 may a result of not proper setup. Although I've done the same like on the DIR-825, may has WNDR3700 its own tricks.

Best regards,
vasgyuszi

Hi all, I just installed a WNDR3700, but it seems I'm getting slower performance over 5GHz as comapred to 2.4GHz (even when I'm sitting right next to it).

Is there anything you might suggest I try to get that up?

Also, is there an optimal physical orientation for the WNDR3700?

Thanks!

Hi all, I just installed a WNDR3700, but it seems I'm getting slower performance over 5GHz as comapred to 2.4GHz (even when I'm sitting right next to it).

Is there anything you might suggest I try to get that up?

Also, is there an optimal physical orientation for the WNDR3700?

Thanks!

I used the stand that came with the router. It places the antennas at their highest point in the enclosure. After that, it is all based on your own enviroment. From the FCC photos, the 5ghz are located on the top right hand side, the 2.4ghz on the left, when the router is in it's stand.

I used the stand that came with the router. It places the antennas at their highest point in the enclosure. After that, it is all based on your own enviroment. From the FCC photos, the 5ghz are located on the top right hand side, the 2.4ghz on the left, when the router is in it's stand.

Thanks -- over 5GHz it tells me I have a 300Mbit connection, and I'm showing 5 bars (excellent) signal strength -- but when I transfer a large file, it takes as long (and usually quite a bit longer) as compared to when I connect over 2.4GHz.

Any ideas what I should do to get to the bottom of that?

Newbie question.

I got a WNDR3700 the other day. Of course my notebooks are both G capable.

Do I need a dual band N adapter or can I get just get an N band adapter. What are the ramifications of using a plain N adapter vs the dual band?

Will I notice a substantial speed increase with either one?

Don

Thanks -- over 5GHz it tells me I have a 300Mbit connection, and I'm showing 5 bars (excellent) signal strength -- but when I transfer a large file, it takes as long (and usually quite a bit longer) as compared to when I connect over 2.4GHz.

Any ideas what I should do to get to the bottom of that?
Try moving away from the router at least 10 feet.

Also, try switching to 20 MHz bandwidth mode.

Dual-band adapter doesn't give you more speed. Just the option of operating in the 5 GHz band. Might be a more reliable connection if you are in an area with a lot of other networks. But range will be reduced.

Also, try switching to 20 MHz bandwidth mode.

Does that mean to change the 5GHz mode from "up to 300Mbit" to "up to 130Mbit"? If so, shouldn't I be shooting for 300Mbit?

I understand that dual-band doesn't necessarily give more speed, but my client (an Intel 4965AGN) can only to 130Mbit in 2.4GHz, whereas it can do 300Mbit in 5GHz -- so, I was expecting the 300Mbit connection over 5GHz to substantially outperform the 130Mbit connection in 2.4GHz (provided that I have an 'excellent' 5 bar signal).

But even with 5 bars, the 300Mbit connection is usually quite a bit slower than the 130Mbit connection.

Thanks for any thoughts! -Scott

I have the router and it is set up for 130 on 2.4Ghz.

My PC are only G capable. They are connecting at 54 Mbps

I bought a USB N adapter and it connected, but the speed would not go to 300 Mbps and my PC actually seemed slower.

Any suggestions before I take the router back?

Don

I bought a USB N adapter and it connected, but the speed would not go to 300 Mbps and my PC actually seemed slower.

Don
My impression is that USB wi-fi adapters are kind of a BS product,not actually capable of full thoughput even though they operate in the wireless N convention.

I am not a fan of this router myself but I would judge it with proper equipment - not a USB adapter.

If the router is set to 130 Mbps (20 MHz channel bandwidth), then that is the maximum rate that any N client will connect at. If you want the client to connect at 300 Mbps, then set the router to that mode.

G clients will connect only at 54 Mbps.

If you have both N and G clients active at the same time, both will run more slowly.

Add, Don't Replace When Upgrading to 802.11n

Don

Also, are you using WEP2/AES? (TKIP could also be slowing you down)

I am using WPA-PSK(TKIP) for security. Which one should I try?

I am also using autochannel. I have 5Ghz on even though I am not using it now.

How do you make sure G is off on the notebook?

Don

I am using WPA-PSK(TKIP) for security. Which one should I try?

I am also using autochannel. I have 5Ghz on even though I am not using it now.

How do you make sure G is off on the notebook?

Don

My understanding is WPA-PSK(TKIP) will force you down to 54Mbit -- what if you try WPA2/AES (I think that should help).

I have a slightly odd question for someone who has one of these products.
Could you describe the network cable that comes with the router?

The reason for this is that I bought a WNDR3700, and I need to send it back, so am looking to ensure I send back the right bits. I bought an ADSL modem at the same time, and am not sure which network cable I'm currently using - the one that came with the router, or the one that came with the (Draytek) modem.

One is grey, the other is yellow.

Thanks! :)

Odd thing just happened.

I changed my security from WPA-TKIP to WPA-AES.

I can now connect at a higher speed of 135 Mbps.

But, my internet speed tests show that I slowed down substantially. :mad:

What gives?

I have a slightly odd question for someone who has one of these products.
Could you describe the network cable that comes with the router?

The reason for this is that I bought a WNDR3700, and I need to send it back, so am looking to ensure I send back the right bits. I bought an ADSL modem at the same time, and am not sure which network cable I'm currently using - the one that came with the router, or the one that came with the (Draytek) modem.

One is grey, the other is yellow.

Thanks! :)

yellow, and i think it should also have a big number sticker on it... hth...

Odd thing just happened.

I changed my security from WPA-TKIP to WPA-AES.

I can now connect at a higher speed of 135 Mbps.

But, my internet speed tests show that I slowed down substantially. :mad:

What gives?

You do mean WPA2-AES, right? (I'd be surprised if your *internet* speeds slowed down much)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!