What's new

Netgear WNDR3800 Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldthor

New Around Here
Well I've been reading all the hype surrounding this router and I'm wondering , has anyone actually purchased one and critiqued it yet? While I don't really NEED a new router I like the fact that it's designed to be played with so I might taker the plunge if the it turns out to be a decent wireless router. How about it a:Dnyone get there hands on one yet????

Now I'm reading about the WNDR4500 (N900)...be interesting to see this one reviewed, as well as the WNDR3800.

Sounds like some choices are coming along from Netgear. Amazon now has the WNDR3800 for sale, "In Stock".

Just window shopping *smile*.

Actually, I'm in the computer business, and like to know what's new out there, and how new products stack up against each other, what new features are available, and so on.

And if new features come along that I've been waiting for, then I might try them out. As long as I have a solid fallback in case things don't work out, since I work from home frequently and my home network has to work.

As long as you know what you're getting into, knock yourself out! :)

The WNDR4500 looks to be available for purchase now. This explains why Best Buy is receiving no more shipments of the 4000 as of this month. Other than an upgrade to two USB ports (still revision 2.0), I'm not clear on how this improves upon the 4000 model.

EDIT: It looks like there's another radio added to the 5 GHz band. The WNDR3800 has the clear channel feature that supposedly improves bandwidth in the busy 2.4 GHz range. The WNDR4XXX routers don't have this.

Last edited:
Probably be a while for the WNDR4500 since Amazon says "available for pre-ordering" and that it will be released 9/20/2011. I'm also looking forward to reading a review to see if it lives up to the hype *smile*.

No, I hadn't, Claykin.

I seriously doubt the part about allocating radios to clients. I'll check with NETGEAR just to make sure.

The other part about radios looks wrong to me, too. It says that the WNDR4000 is 3-stream on 2.4GHz. and 2-stream on 5GHz. Then he says that the WNDR4500 adds one more stream for 5GHz. My understanding is that the WNDR4000 is like the Linksys E4200, 3-stream on 5GHz., 2-stream on 2.4GHz. And the WNDR4500 adds a third stream on 2.4GHz.

So, unless I'm a really bad reader (possible *smile*), I'm a little leary of anything that he says. Doubling checking is a good idea.

Thanks, Roger. I missed the error on the WNDR4000 bands. Yes, 5 GHz is 3 stream, not 2.4 GHz.

I heard back from NETGEAR. The WNDR4500 uses standard 802.11n technologies. So the radio-to-client assignment ability the AVForums poster describes doesn't exist.