What's new

Netgear WPN824 - WG311T vs WPN311

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnl12

New Around Here
Hi, I have a Netgear WPN824 v3 (MIMO) and a WG311T card. I am getting between 2 to 3 bars. inSSIDer RSSI = -71 to -78. Would switching to the WPN311 (MIMO) card increase signal? I have no other MIMO device in the house. I am going through a closet, kitchen and a bathroom. Around 80 ft.

What about adding a second WPN824 (repeater)?

Waiting for newer certify N routers to come out.

Thanks

John

It might. But, in general, N does not increase range. It provides higher throughput at a given range.

You may have better luck just putting a higher gain antenna on the WG311T or putting a short cable on the existing one to get it up from behind the desktop. Choose an antenna with at least 6 dBi gain to see any significant range increase.

I should have mention already have the D-LINK ANT24-0700 2.4GHz Omni-Directional 7dBi Indoor Antenna. I was referring to the MIMO feature which I really not sure if a understand it.

The Netgear WPN824 is a Rangemax G router. Since the WPN311 is also a Rangemax G adapter I am hoping that using both would increase performance.

I don't really understand how MIMO routers and adapter work with each other.

Sorry for not paying closer attention to your post. "MIMO" routers pre-date 802.11n routers. MIMO is one of the technologies used in 802.11n to increase wireless bandwidth.

In general, neither MIMO nor 802.11n increase range.

Your best bet is to get the router and clients closer to each other. Sometimes drilling one little hole in a wall to run a cable is a hell of a lot easier.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!