What's new

Voxel Netgear X10 R9000 ,Voxel Firmware ,VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

schneidewind

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have a Netgear X10 R9000 and would like to flash the firmware from Voxel. I've already read something because then I want to install a VPN.

Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with VPN data, I would like a VPN from vyprvpn

"https://www.vyprvpn.com/de/vpn-apps" import but does not know which data I should enter and where these are entered. Unfortunately, nothing is offered for the Voxel firmware. Firmware WRT-DD or ASUS OpenWRT, etc. is only available for routers. Do the data still have to be adjusted for Voxel? I would be happy if someone has some time and could help me a little.

I thank you for your help

It doesn't really matter what firmware you use to configure the OpenVPN client (I assume that's what we're talking about here), it's all pretty much the same since most of it is specific to OpenVPN itself, and not so much the router. Yeah, each may use slightly different naming of fields on the GUI, or perhaps expect you to configure some items in a custom config field, etc., but usually you can use any other third-party firmware as a guide. It should get you close enough. It does seem more difficult if you've never configured OpenVPN anywhere else before. The terminology can sometimes be overwhelming to anyone new to OpenVPN. If you're lucky, the OpenVPN client *might* even allow you to import an OpenVPN client config file provided by the VPN provider, vastly simplifying configuration.

Last edited:
Hallo eibgrad,
Ja, das meine ich. Welche Konfiguration könnte für die Voxel-Firmware funktionieren? OpenWRT oder DD-WRT oder Ubuntu oder Merlin ASUS, welches würden Sie vorschlagen?
Vielen Dank für deine Hilfe

According to wikidevi, the only third-party option is indeed Voxel. And I'm not familiar w/ Voxel personally, so I can't be much help there. FWIW, there is a separate Netgear R9000 dd-wrt wiki page at least suggesting it's supported, but I don't know how much I'd trust it. But I would be much more familar w/ dd-wrt when it comes to OpenVPN.

Last edited:
Laut Wikidevi ist Voxel die einzige Option eines Drittanbieters. Und ich bin nicht vertraut mit Voxel persönlich, kann ich dort nicht viel helfen. FWIW, es gibt eine separate Netgear R9000 dd-wrt-Wiki-Seite, die zumindest darauf hinweist, dass sie unterstützt wird, aber ich weiß nicht, wie sehr ich ihr vertrauen würde. Aber ich wäre viel vertrauter mit dd-wrt, wenn es um OpenVPN geht.
Ok ich danke Ihnen für die Infos ,ich möchte aber gern die Voxel Firmware flashen weil ich viel gutes gelesen habe über die Firmware deswegen muss ich noch etwas weiter suchen. Danke

You can of course run Voxel FW to achieve what you want.
You can as complement install:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/kamoj-add-on-v5-for-netgear-r7800-x4s-and-r9000-x10.60590/
Hi,

I have a Netgear X10 R9000 and would like to flash the firmware from Voxel. I've already read something because then I want to install a VPN.

Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with VPN data, I would like a VPN from vyprvpn

"https://www.vyprvpn.com/de/vpn-apps" import but does not know which data I should enter and where these are entered. Unfortunately, nothing is offered for the Voxel firmware. Firmware WRT-DD or ASUS OpenWRT, etc. is only available for routers. Do the data still have to be adjusted for Voxel? I would be happy if someone has some time and could help me a little.

Hi,

This VyprVPN mentions WireGuard VPN. I'd suggest you to try WireGuard instead of OpenVPN. WireGuard is much faster vs OpenVPN (R9000).

Voxel.

In diesem VyprVPN wird WireGuard VPN erwähnt. Ich würde vorschlagen, dass Sie WireGuard anstelle von OpenVPN ausprobieren. WireGuard ist viel schneller als OpenVPN (R9000).

Voxel.
Hallo Voxel,
Vielen Dank für die schnelle Hilfe, leider weiß ich nicht, wie ich die Daten in den (R900) einfügen soll und welche Daten? Können Sie mir bitte ein Beispiel zeigen? Leider bin ich absolut neu auf dem Gebiet, sollte ich die Kamoj-Erweiterung installieren oder ist es besser von VyprVPN? Ich hoffe, ich betone dich nicht mit meiner Unwissenheit.
Schöne Grüße

Hallo Voxel,
Vielen Dank für die schnelle Hilfe, leider weiß ich nicht, wie ich die Daten in den (R900) einfügen soll und welche Daten? Können Sie mir bitte ein Beispiel zeigen? Leider bin ich absolut neu auf dem Gebiet, sollte ich die Kamoj-Erweiterung installieren oder ist es besser von VyprVPN? Ich hoffe, ich betone dich nicht mit meiner Unwissenheit.
Schöne Grüße
Entschuldigung, aber ich werde auf Englisch antworten:

Variant 1: Really try to use add-on from @kamoj.

Variant 2: Manual, w/o add-on:

WireGuard client.

To start its using you should

1. Prepare the text file with name wireguard.conf defining the following values: EndPoint, LocalIP, PrivateKey, PublicKey and Port of you WireGuard client config from WG provider.

Example:
------------------------- cut here ---------------------------------------
EndPoint="wireguard.5july.net"
LocalIP="10.0.xxx.xxx/24"
PrivateKey="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX="
PublicKey="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX="
Port="48574"
------------------------- cut here ---------------------------------------
NOTE: no spaces before/after "=" symbol in example above.
NOTE: the name of the file wireguard.conf is lowercase.

2. Place this wireguard.conf file to the root of USB flash drive (FAT or NTFS or EXT2/3/4).

3. Insert this flash drive into your R9000/R8900.

4. Enter by telnet to your router and set the nvram variable wg-client to 1

nvram set wg-client=1
nvram commit

5. Reboot your router.

NOTE: to disable WireGuard client starting just set wg-client to "0" and reboot the router.
NOTE: USB drive with the file wireguard.conf should not be left attached to your router. It will be copied again and again after every router reboot. Remove this file after you have WG client working.

P.S. Also you can just create the file /etc/wireguard.conf manually w/o USB drive...

Voxel.

Hallo Voxel,
Vielen Dank für deine Hilfe !!!!!!!! Ich werde es morgen versuchen, wenn ich nach Hause komme.
Du bist ein Profi. Vielen Dank. Ich werde berichten, ob es funktioniert.
Grüße

Ich habe noch eine Frage an den PROFESSIONAL: Wie erstelle ich eine solche Datei: /etc/wireguard.conf manuell ?
Kannst du mir das zeigen, bitte
Grüße

Datei: /etc/wireguard.conf manuell ?

Just create such file with the name wireguard.conf using Windows' NOTEPAD on your PC and copy it to the root of small USB flash drive. After that Insert this flash drive into your R9000. It will be copied to /etc/wireguard.conf automatically.

Voxel.

Erstellen Sie einfach eine solche Datei mit dem Namen wireguard.conf mit Windows 'NOTEPAD auf Ihrem PC und kopieren Sie sie in das Stammverzeichnis eines kleinen USB-Flash-Laufwerks. Danach Stecken Sie dieses Flash-Laufwerk in Ihren R9000. Es wird automatisch in /etc/wireguard.conf kopiert .

Voxel.
Ich denke, das ist am einfachsten für mich, danke Voxel ich werde berichten ob es funktioniert
Grüße

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!