What's new

Network for 100 devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hussain

Occasional Visitor
I have a small business, whereby I have to setup 60 wired computers and 20 wireless devices.

Should I have one router with multiple wired and wireless switches or should I setup multiple routers?

Would that one router connected to multiple switches be able to take "load" of 80 devices?

What is maximum number of wireless devices a generic consumer grade router handle? For 20 wireless devices located in 400 sq foot area, would this router take care of it.

This might be a noob question so help me out please.

Are these concurrent users/devices using this proposed solution? The 941 will be easily overrun by more than 15 wireless clients.

You want only one router and probably multiple access points. How many access points depends on the area to be covered, # of simultaneous users and how much bandwidth each is using.

You should not be even considering 802.11n at this point. AC/Wi-Fi 5 at minimum.

You want only one router and probably multiple access points. How many access points depends on the area to be covered, # of simultaneous users and how much bandwidth each is using.

You should not be even considering 802.11n at this point. AC/Wi-Fi 5 at minimum.

So one router to handle routing of 100 devices and then wired access points for wired connections and wireless access point for 20 wireless devices should do the trick?

The Cisco RV340 router is rated for more than 100 users. You will need to add wireless APs. I recommend the Cisco wireless APs.

I can sense confusion even in the question from the OP and we can't blame him given how the consumer market has been going.
I think @hussain is confusing wireless Access Point with a router since most consumer wifi access points are called "wireless routers".

@hussain, you should never need more than one router within a given network. It is basically the network manager/firewall etc, wired or wireless doesn't matter. A "wireless router" is a device which is a combination of a router and a wifi access point and in almost all cases, you can use a wireless router as a wireless access point by disabling the routing functionalities on it.

For your use case, you would need only one router for your internet entry point and then as many access points as you will require to cover the physical space needed. Different access points have different number of client limit but with only 20 client, almost any access point will do. The TP link you listed is however as others mentioned, very old and slow.

For routing, the number of device you have is unlikely to be a challenge for any wired router as they all practically should be able to handle an entire subnet (255 devices).
You can also use a single wireless router device and add switches as needed to cover the rest of your wired network if the router can be located at the center of the space you are trying to cover.