What's new

Network Services Filter does not accept wildcards *

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zonkd

Very Senior Member
Network services filter does not seem to accept any wildcard (despite tool-tip saying that it does). Until bug is fixed it is not possible to block a Source IP from accessing the internet (using Destination IP *.*.*.* with Port Range <65535). Is this a known issue?
img.jpg

Leave the field empty to specify "any address".

I was looking for something similar.
I wanted to block Google DNS lookups on my Chromecast etc so that Netflix region changing would play nice.
After I updated firmware to current (wiping all previous settings as I was trying to fix some previous bad settings anyway), I found that my old setting of 8.8.*.* no longer was accepted in the current FW.
Instead of making duplicate entries (why can't Asus have it so we can have a "both" option for protocol type), I think found the solution.
Putting it in as 8.8.0.0 works the same as the old 8.8.*.*.

@pedrov: Instead on using Network Services Filter try using Parental control > DNS filtering instead.
Thanks. There is probably a way, but so far I am not having much luck with that setup. Basically I am trying to block only certain devices from accessing Google DNS, but I need to keep it available for other devices on the same network.
Current Network filter way seems to work OK.