What's new

Network Triage Tools in Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dathuil

New Around Here
Hey folks,

RT-AC88U running latest merlin release.

Are there any network triage tools built into merlin that I could leverage to try pinpoint where my network is acting up?
I've the last few days I've found the network connectivity on my network to be very poor, to the point that I've had to default back to the network on my broadband providors router. (this is what my RT-AC88U is connected to for WAN)

At all times I have WIFI and internal network access (and access to the portal) but I seemingly can't connect to the internet, then I'll get internet access but things will be slow.
I've looked at the System Logs within Merlin and the only thing jumping out at me is that I see a number of repeats regarding dnsmasq and the samba server starting. So I'm wondering if the router is restarting itself internally which might be causing it.

Obviously there are many reasons this could be acting up and the age of the router could be part of it. but any tools or advice on how to narrow down the issue would be appreciated!

Current list of things tried
  • Rolled back to Asus firmware. Same result
  • Changed ethernet cables - Same result
  • Hard reset - Same Result
  • Changed ethernet port for WAN on main router - Same result

The System Log is the primary place to look for information. Go to the System Log - General Log page and set Log only messages more urgent than to All.

If you're seeing multiple Samba messages then it sounds like the WAN connection has a problem. If the cause is not obvious after making the change above post the complete System Log to pastebin.com and provide a link to it.

Cheers Colin, I've made the suggested change, I'll monitor the logs and see if anything gets logged that can shed some light on the issue!

I've looked at the System Logs within Merlin and the only thing jumping out at me is that I see a number of repeats regarding dnsmasq and the samba server starting. So I'm wondering if the router is restarting itself internally which might be causing it.

Current list of things tried
  • Rolled back to Asus firmware. Same result
  • Changed ethernet cables - Same result
  • Hard reset - Same Result
  • Changed ethernet port for WAN on main router - Same result
Have you tried disconnecting the USB or storage device that is attached to the router then reboot the router? Or turning off the SMB/Samba option in the router GUI and reboot the router?

Was the "hard reset" you performed a "hard factory reset"? And if so did you do just a very basic configuration; no importing of saved router config file, and leaving any USB device unconnected from router to see if the issue persists?
[Wireless Router] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 1

And if using a USB storage device on the router, you may want to check it for errors or issues on a computer.

The System Log is the primary place to look for information. Go to the System Log - General Log page and set Log only messages more urgent than to All.

If you're seeing multiple Samba messages then it sounds like the WAN connection has a problem. If the cause is not obvious after making the change above post the complete System Log to pastebin.com and provide a link to it.
Paste bin here, typically it seems it to have stopped repeating the logs, but possibly you might see something I dont?

Have you tried disconnecting the USB or storage device that is attached to the router then reboot the router? Or turning off the SMB/Samba option in the router GUI and reboot the router?

Was the "hard reset" you performed a "hard factory reset"? And if so did you do just a very basic configuration; no importing of saved router config file, and leaving any USB device unconnected from router to see if the issue persists?
[Wireless Router] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 1

And if using a USB storage device on the router, you may want to check it for errors or issues on a computer.
I've never actually had any USB devices connected to the router so nothing to try there,
Looking at your link I did a standard reset, If it keeps acting up I'll try the hard factory reset

Looking at the logs I do see the following entry many times throughout the logs

Code:
Sep 10 21:24:30 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(494): eth1: Deauth_ind 7C:87:CE:BE:24:79, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
Threw this into google and round a reddit post that is describing something similar to my issue ->
The Address in the log is for a smart thermostat I put together on an Ardino which I only recently brought online. I'm going to unplug it and see if I get any more drops

I don't think the wlceventd_proc_event has anything to do with your problem. That's a normal Wi-Fi message.

I can see lots of instances of the WAN going up and down, and the router booting up multiple times. Without knowing a detailed history of exactly what you've been doing to the router it could simply be you turning it off and on or replugging the WAN cable.

So we'll ignore everything in the past and wait for the problem to happen again. With the extra logging hopefully things will be clearer next time.