What's new

New Access Point installed on home LAN - I'm lost

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Please enlighten me then.

If we remove all customizations, set the DHCP Pool to what we want, and then reboot the router, what conflict can happen?

Please enlighten me then.

If we remove all customizations, set the DHCP Pool to what we want, and then reboot the router, what conflict can happen?
<sigh> I explained this in detail earlier in this thread.

My apologies then if I have missed this. I have read the thread (live) as it transpired. But I don't recall that insight being exposed.

Could you point me to that post, please?

I decided to bite the bullet, climb a 10 foot ladder and connect the camera to the AP via RJ45/Ethernet - weather proofing and the whole nine yards. This is the most reliable connection and was my goal from the start. Topography/Backbone-wise, AC3200 <--> 8-port switch <--> EA4500 AP all Cat 5 connections.

At the router, I configured my static and DHCP pools, applied changes/reboot. I assigned new IP addresses for each camera, one by one and verified the changes had no errors... Rebooting clients and the router after each change just to be sure. Then I deleted the Manual assignment for two of the cameras - since I now have one camera connected via wired and wireless I kept that wireless IP/MAC as it was, manually assigned.

The net result is I'm in business so far. Most mission critical clients have static addresses outside of the DCHP pool. That, in concert with hard wiring the troublesome IP camera, (pert near) eliminates IP conflicts AND the camera no longer loses signal. So mission accomplished.

I just don't understand why the AP didn't solve the camera issues by wireless connection. I've been collecting information now that I know more about what I'm looking at, and there are banana's in coconut trees, as they say - something's amiss. If it becomes an issue, I'll address it then.

Thanks for your patience and guidance. I learned a lot - mostly that I'm stubborn, and solved the problem I set out to solve.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online