What's new

new ASUS BRT-AC828 ( Wireless-AC2600 Dual WAN VPN Router)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

now that BRT-AC828 official is, available for sale etc., it would be nice if ASUS - @maylyn would share "openssl speed aes" info

Here you goes :p

OpenSSL - 06/02/2017

Left result - ASUS BRT-AC828
Right result - ASUS RT-AC88U

AES 128

AES 256

Is there any information as to whether the BRT-AC828 will be available in the States?

Not sure what is going on with this product. Not a single firmware upgrade since its launch, despite the fact it's marketed as a business products, and numerous security issues were found in Asuswrt since then.

+1 Was looking at their site and considering this for a small business, but can't find a place to buy it, or much news on updates.

so i just got this here in australia for testing so im not sure if you guys have it yet

first impression of the gui are its more packed with features than the normal asus , its also got antenna locks which is great as the 5300 annoys the crap out of me when the antennas just faint and fall all over each other

will get under the hood this week and find out how it runs

pete

Just checking to see if anyone has an update for BRT- AC828 router from Asus. I tried contacting their business customer support, but couldn't get through. I've been excited to buy this router for a while now, and it's very frustrating to that manufacturer is not as enthusiastic about a product as their customers are. Anyway, if Asus doesn't release it in USA then I am looking for an alternative; what do you guys think of Asus GT-AC5300 (Rog Rapture). I am strictly looking to buy Asus brand as I recently (less than 2 months) bought an Asus AC 87u, and instantly fell in love with the router; well it was more of Asus Merlin Firmware that attracted me. Since, i am not an expert in networking I have decided to stick to Asus routers in future, so that I make use of Asus Merlin Firmware. That way even with a lack of networking expertise; I can still use most of fancy features. I will be very thank full if any of members/experts here can chime in to give their opinion for an alternative to BRT-AC828 or if they have any updates on whereabouts of this router itself.
Just an fyi to the readers, I am a new member on SNB and a new enthusiast for learning networking as a concept. I am not a networking professional and I have picked up home networking as a hobby, so please forgive me now and in future if I make any contradictory comments about fundamentals of networking.
Thanks in advance to everyone who reads this message and takes the hardship of replying.

Cheers!!

I have recently bought this router to replace a draytek vdsl modem (which was 5 years old). I cannot comment on the performance of the BRT-AC828 router, but I am disappointed by the limited options offered in the DHCP server section.

I mean the draytek had an option for "strict bind". The DHCP assigned an IP based on the MAC address, and that was strict. If the client was configured for another IP (i.e. by manually setting), it was blocked (both wireless & wired).

I cannot find anything similar in the assus. Any (wired) device can really have what ever IP it wishes, I don't know how to control this. Am I missing something? Is the option somewhere that I couldn't find?

I am not sure, but I think there are reliability issues. I have modified the list of DHCP manual assigns, and after applying the settings, the router never got into a working state. I keeps rebooting and rebooting I think...

I have modified the list of DHCP manual assigns,...
Have you enabled Manual Assignment?
IP_binding.png

Yes, I did. My experience with this router (and ASUS in general) is very bad:

1) The router was "bricked" just by changing some configuration options on Saturday 16/9.
2) I was trying for two days, to restore factory defaults. The process failed, the controls on the device do not react as documented. (The reset button could not restore factory default settings. Rescue mode was partially working: I managed to enable it a few times - it was easy following the manual instructions - but it was useless, as WIFI remained off, so you could not do anything really. Re-flashing firmware is through an app that uses *only* WIFI. So, if the router has not activated WIFI nothing can be done.)
3) On Monday morning, I call their hotline. It was a horrifying experience, as their reply was simply: we know nothing about routers, we cannot help you, there is nothing you can do, return it to the store!
4) I got a reply from their "support" channel, suggesting to re-flash the firmware. They had no answer what to do since WIFI was not activated.
5) The store did not reply at all to my e-mails about the procedure to return it. (I bought it online from a small store in Germany, found through idealo.de price comparison service.)

So, I was left with a brick of 500 euros!

After all this frustration and 3 day's time loss, the solution (I found myself) was simple: in an attempt to activate WIFI (as re-flashing firmware maybe was a solution), I kept pressed the WPS button for 5-10 secs. And the router finally did a factory reset!
(With the WPS button, not the reset button as the manual says.)

And after the router settings were back to factory defaults (and the settings I have done regarding DHCP were gone), re-configuring the router was easy. I re-did a factory defaults also through the UI.

My conclusions of the whole process are:
1) The router has firmware bugs. It is not acceptable to end up with a non-working router, simply by changing DHCP settings.
2) The support from ASUS is non existent. You are on your own. The least they can offer, was to send a new router and get the old one, since they were in the embarrassing situation their firmware malfunctions that bad. They didn't. They insisted to return it to the store, they do not care if this can take a month!
3) This is not a "business" router. Not only buggy, it is lacking so many features. It is just a hugely overpriced regular, home router.

Reactions: thc
As my experience with the device, the WPS can only allow my repeater to connect with. I don't know why WPS button can reset the router, that's pretty impressive result.

by the way, my firmware version have been updated to 3.0.0.4.380.7288 for a while.

We are running the same firmware, 3.0.0.4.380_7288. I updated the firmware on Friday, when I installed the router, as I got a notification on the UI. All these happened with this firmware.

How to proceed with this router?

I am facing the problem that the router does not boot after a reboot. So, changing a setting (that needs a router reboot), or after a power failure, I end up with a router flashing all LEDs and not booting.

Rescue mode works, and re-installing the firmware in rescue mode, is the only way to get the router work.
I have seen that asus has released a new bootloader (that perhaps may solve my problem), but installing the bootloader through rescue mode results in all LEDs flashing. Reinstalling the firmware through rescue, makes the router work again, but with the old bootloader.

I have conducted asus support, they have instructed me to install an older firmware, no solution, same behaviour. Finally, the told me to return the router to the seller, but the seller does not respond at all.

Have I end up with a 500$ brick?

I don't have any problems when the router works, but I got tired to do rescue-mode firmware updates after a settings change or after a power failure.

When I said in the past their RMA is worth nothing than less all here had been upset and slashed at me.
Maybe in US they are little better and return same or other defective router, here in EU they refused any RMA to me at all.

I think you are right. I haven't yet found a way to return the router after two months (!) speaking with ASUS Greece (located in Italy (!)) and ASUS Germany.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!