What's new

new ASUS BRT-AC828 ( Wireless-AC2600 Dual WAN VPN Router)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I suspect that the B stands for Business, and the /M2 (M.2) instead of /U (USB) denotes the storage capabilities.

Is it real from Asus? I always had the thought that "U" stands fro universal or worldwide markets. Nevertheless interesting interpretations. Slash M2 for M.2 might be real..

Good thing about QCA is that it uses a slightly newer uClibc which is capable of supporting native pthread library. System RAM will be more efficiently used if Asus decides to turn it on. If this model comes with 512MB RAM and a SoC with HW encryption block, then it will easily outperform the same ranks (e.g. AC88/AC5300) using Broadcom chips.

Downside is the same old and crappy user space code as well as the EOL kernel.

Small Business and schools? I'm still tempted, but getting more and more sceptical by the minute.

Small Business and schools? I'm still tempted, but getting more and more sceptical by the minute.

We have next to no technical details on this router yet, neither any idea of the pricing. Far too early to determine if this model is interesting or not.

If this model comes with 512MB RAM and a SoC with HW encryption block, then it will easily outperform the same ranks (e.g. AC88/AC5300) using Broadcom chips.

Assuming OpenSSL is able to take advantage of that engine. At least Asus is using an up-to-date version (1.0.2), so it has a good chance of being supported.

Guess the smaller cat is out of the bag as well :D

Introducing the smaller sibling ASUS BRT-AC414 router ;)

ASUS BRT-AC414

ASUS BRT-AC828M2

ASUS shows the BRT AC414 and AC828 / M2 two new routers for business (SMB) operation at Computex. The main feature of these new devices is formed by the presence of two gigabit WAN ports. These can be used as a fail-over, so that when one fails, the other takes over it, but also for applications VLAN.

Both routers support the 802.11a / b / g / n / c standard and are also equipped with USB 2.0 and 3.0. The BRT AC828 / M2, the top model is equipped with a 4x4 antenna design, a built-in 8-port switch and an M.2 SSD card slot. The BRT AC414 has to do with the 2x2 antenna design and an integrated 4-port switch.

The new ASUS routers are expected on the market in coming months.

Image Credits ~> http://nl.hardware.info

From ~> http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/4815...rs-met-twee-wan-poorten-voor-zakelijk-gebruik (Google Translate)

More detailed pictures showing the rows of LED indicating as ;)

Power On, 1-8 LAN, 2.4GHz, 5GHz, 2x Internet, Failover, SSD

Some of my ASUS BRT-AC828M2 test development kit pictures ;)

Front View

Rear View

2x WAN, 2 rows of 4x GbE LAN

Behind

There is the where the M.2 SSD slot is.

The M.2 SSD slot allows 42/60/80mm type of M.2 SSD.

Pairing it with currently the best Samsung Pro 950 512GB NVMe M.2 SSD ;)

A Samsung 950 Pro M.2 on a low-powered router - somehow, I highly doubt the CPU can get anywhere close to the max speed this drive can provide...

Assuming OpenSSL is able to take advantage of that engine. At least Asus is using an up-to-date version (1.0.2), so it has a good chance of being supported.

This prediction is very likely true as Asus brands it as a "VPN router." lol

A Samsung 950 Pro M.2 on a low-powered router - somehow, I highly doubt the CPU can get anywhere close to the max speed this drive can provide...

Maybe 64bit CPU with a 3.x kernel?! That'll be a pleasant surprise to keep some customers from moving to semi pro gears like ubnt/microtik.

This prediction is very likely true as Asus brands it as a "VPN router." lol

We just need a beta tester to run an "openssl speed aes" for us...

Neat - we really need Asus to talk to their PC OEM/ODM team to bring the collective a real box...

Yep - I'd like to see something intel based - not that ARM is bad, it's just that there's some very, very good intel chips that are perfect for this purpose...

Neat - we really need Asus to talk to their PC OEM/ODM team to bring the collective a real box...

Yep - I'd like to see something intel based - not that ARM is bad, it's just that there's some very, very good intel chips that are perfect for this purpose...

I wish Asus hear you. Hardware wise (their strength) will be a trivial task..

ASUS BRT-AC828M2 Official Specs

Got the ASUS TW's go ahead to reveal the official specs ....

This is the first ASUS networking router based on QCA (QualComm Atheros) latest networking solutions.

~ Specs as follows ~

1). CPU ~ QCA IPQ8065 1.7GHz dual core Krait 300 CPU
2). WiFi ~ 2x QCA9984 4X4:4 Wave2 MU-MIMO 160MHz for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz (80MHz+80MHz)
(Specs is ready but 160 drivers are not ready yet)
3). LAN Switch ~ (LAN:1 x RLT8370MB + WAN: 2 x QCA8033)
4). Fully hardware NAT dual WAN for Internet speeds up to 2Gbps with 8x real backbone GbE LAN ports (Realtek RTL8370MB 8 ports) with 2x set of bonding ports

5). Dedicated QCA HW AES/3DES/SHA crypto accelerator engine.
6). 128MB Flash
7). 512MB DDR3 RAM
8). 2 x USB 3.0 (with eject button)
9). Support Failover, Teaming (aggregation) on SLA (Static Link Aggregation), 802.3ad Aggregation
10). Support SATA/AHCI M.2 SSD up to the current biggest 500GB size available in the market - Samsung Evo 850 500GB M.2 SSD (Do note - M.2 NVME based SSD are not supported)

Just to illustrate why is this ASUS BRT-AC828M2 is fully dual WAN 1Gbps capable up to 2Gbps and hardware NAT router.

One picture is worth more than a thousand words :D

Do note the SpeedTest is to show that this ASUS BRT-AC828M2 is more capable to achieve this kind of performance rating with ease and fully NAT HW accelerated barely with any CPU loading.

All the other aspects of the performance indicators (WiFi, OpenVPN, IPSec, USB3.0, M.2 SSD etc) are still in embargo @ ASUS TW discretion.

Lastly, many thanks to ViewQwest and ASUS TW's BRT-AC828M2 team for allowing me to contribute to this particular collaboration.

And before the inevitable question arises... No, I have no plan to support this model, because (among other things) this is not a Broadcom-based device, and I don't have the resources to support two different HW platforms.

How likely are Asus to move towards QCA in their upcoming consumer models?

Asus has had QC and Ralink routers for some time already, it's nothing new.

I expect they will keep using different providers for different models, as it's never a good idea to keep all of your eggs in the same basket.

Back with some updates .....

Finally got some time to go pick up my Samsung EVO 850 500GB M.2 SSD, so i have swap out my Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512GB and replace with it :(

It's my fault that i jumped the gun without knowing that the ASUS BRT-AC828M2 support only AHCI/SATA M.2 SSD, nevertheless it's nothing biggie as i still can use the Samsung 950 Pro NVME on the upcoming ASUS X99-E 10G WS motherboard ^^

This time round .... all engines set to go :)

Before

After

WebUI (Format)

WebUI (Information)

Very simple and easy to map as a network drive and use it ;) I have crop out the performance indicators as it's still under embargo by ASUS TW. All these will be reveal when i have the approval.

Notice any difference in performance with the drive formatted as NTFS vs. EXT?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!