What's new

New ASUS RT-AX68U User - problem with sending IP??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

comnut

Occasional Visitor
AX68U
This may not the problem that 'TheAtomic' mentions with a modem...
I am very new to the complexity of the ASUS setup, so please help... :(

I am trying to use 'Airdroid' to transfer stuff to my android mobile..
When the app starts it tells you what IP address to type into your browser, to access your Android system- it looks like a window desktop, but it is 'inside' your mobile!!

On my ViginMedia modem, this works very well.. but I bought the RT-AX68U to get better faster WiFi, that it does very well!

BUT then I try Airdroid, that tells me to goto 192 168 12 1

Firefox says "connection cannot be made, WiFi is not connected to LAN system" those are both inside the AX68U !!

the ASUS says it has 'established' that IP - but what is wrong??

So Airdroid is for connecting between a computer and an Android phone. In a basic set up, with both on the same LAN the router should be pretty much an irrelevance - though you may need to change firewall settings on the computer.

So can you confirm that the computer (not your router) you are trying to use has the IP address 192.168.21.1 because that looks a little off to me.

FYI: Something like Google Drive and an Android File Manager is a much easier way to just move files around! *there are other ways, including just using a cable!

Last edited:
Thanks for reply :) but Airdroid is a LOT more!!

airdroid2.jpg
DO NOTE -Dots removed for safety!!
'oops!' the IP address 192 168 12 1 is pinged successfully using VirginMedia modem WiFi..

when Airdroid starts it asks for the above address to be typed in, after which it asks 'confirm connection to 192 168 0 11'

when i use ASUS instead, pings go nowhere...

yes, all firewalls are off AFAIK but I am new to this router and 100's of options.. the initial setup for the ASUS is confusing for the newbie...

I found a post "Enable web access from WAN'" - but the contents could be klingon... or I thought that maybe I need to set a 'port forward' so that it will take the IP and send it to the WiFi???

Last edited:
I'd start by getting it setup with both devices on the LAN - you shouldn't need to touch any router settings to do this! And 192.168.21.1 still looks odd as an address for either your Android or the connected computer!

erm my android phone does not have a LAN port.....

and note that airdroid changes its IP depending on other devices it finds!! so now it is 0 12 ..

Last edited:
erm my android phone does not have a LAN port.....

and note that airdroid changes its IP depending on other devices it finds!! so now it is 0 12 ..
Your Android should be connecting to the Local Area Network using its WiFi, and at that point, both your computer and your phone ought to be on using the same subnet that the router provides.
If you have your own router plugged into an ISPs device that also provides WiFi and LAN ports, at least initially, you will want to configure both computer and phone to connect to the same network device.

do you have both the ASUS and the ISP device with their wireless radios ON ?
If they are too close, they will interfere.
Usually people turn off the ISP router radios and use only the ASUS radios to avoid the issue.

That is what I am trying to do!! :) But I am wondering if I have a faulty ASUS, or it is not set up properly! I have 'factory reset' it to make sure...

It seems it is only possible to set it up from my laptop on wifi , and there are very limited options - Wireless setup, Access point setup, and AI-mesh...

the VM WiFi is OFF..

I am in AP mode now, managed to get airdoid working! - need to save asus config?????

!!!!! only problem is, cannot get to www.router.asus.com... or even 192 168.50.1

Last edited:
Are you intending the ASUS to be an AP only or as a ROUTER + AP ?

Either way you should be configuring via a LAN port.

degrub: I dont know!!!!!!!!!​

I just want to get fast wired internet for my pc, good wifi for my laptop, and ability to get Airdroid working!!! please read above posts... :) :)

Connect to the Asus router and put it back into router mode. Then disconnect from the Asus router and connect to the Virgin Media box and put that into Modem mode. At that point, the only thing that should be connected to the Virgin box is the Asus router which you can now connect everything WiFi and Wired LAN to.
Again, once you have this working, you may be able to open things up, but for now, Keep It Simple!

there is no 'router mode' indicated.. Only Wireless setup, Access point setup, and AI-mesh...

How do you want your network configured? Commission that first.

For example:

ISP gateway in bridge mode (no routing, etc.) <> AX68U <> clients

To put the ISP gateway in bridge mode, connect a wired PC, log into the gateway, and configure it for bridge mode, if possible.

If the AX68U is in AP Mode, reset it, login with a wired PC, and configure it in default router mode. Load current firmware and reset that firmware before you configure it... my install notes may help.

Finish commissioning your network/clients first... then use/play with apps.

OE

Last edited:
Dear OzarkEdge, please tell me how I can get past the menu first???

Did you review my notes? Do you understand what reset the firmware means? Did you read the ASUS FAQ/link on how to reset your model? If this is too much for you to read up on and follow, then you may want to get some local help.

OE

it should come up that way after a factory reset as well.
That takes you to a known good state from which we can help.
And you must power cycle after the factory reset or any other mode change. Sometimes you have to do this two step several times to make it stick.

OzarkEdge : now read what 'KevTech' said... thanks for clarity :)

My ax68 only says wireless router... I tried that when i first plugged in the asus.... worked nice until I wanted to use airdroid!!!

I did notice there is possibility of using a 'setting back file' - I would be very grateful if someone could post one they had made

The only one that worked a **bit** better, is AP MODE... I am too exhausted now, I will try more later..

PLEASE READ MY FIRST POST!!

If ASUS could make it work in LAN ONLY mode, it would be a lot easier - I am having to use my small wifi laptop for all the setting up,...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!