What's new

Solved New Fiber PPPOE service, Router "Connected" but no internet.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lightmaster

Occasional Visitor
My ISP upgraded us to fiber into the home service (with a new fiber modem/gateway in bridge mode). The diagnostic router they had was able to connect over PPPoE and got internet service, so they said their hardware was good and left. My Asus GT-AX11000 running Merlin WRT version 386.2_4 is unable to access the internet. The status page says that its connected and shows the static IP my ISP has given me, however the router itself is not able to ping anything except the PPPoE server. Router can't ping the ISP DNS nor even 1.1.1.1. I've also connected a computer running Ubuntu to the fiber modem and setup a PPPoE connection in Ubuntu, but it's acting the same as my Asus router, can only ping the PPPoE server, nothing on the outside world. With both the Router and Ubuntu Server, their over-the-phone technician said he could see my devices authenticating and successfully connecting.

2 very different devices getting the same "connected but no internet connection" status, I'd think it was an issue with the modem except I saw their router able to access the internet using the modem.

I've never had service through PPPoE before, so I don't really know what to test or how to diagnose this issue. Any suggestions on settings to check or things to try? Could it be something on their end that's allowing their router to fully connect but not mine, even though they said my router should be connected to the internet? After a full day of beating my head against the wall with this and kids pissed about no internet, I'm at my wits end and not sure what else to do.

Did you reset the router to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configure it afterward without using a saved backup config file?

Did you power down the whole network for at least 10 to 20 minutes, including the ISPs equipment?

Yes, forgot to add that to the post. I did do a factory reset of the router and only changed the WiFi SSID/password, routers LAN IP, and the PPPoE username/password.

I did power down both the router and ONT for 1 minute, to no effect. Got frustrated before work and just pulled the power on both of them before I left, so when I get home in the morning they'll have been off for 12 hours.

Weird.
Would you care to try at Wan Connection Type - Automatic IP?
Just to exclude/make sure their box was surely set to bridge mode?

With WAN Connection Type => Automatic IP, it gives an error message about the ISP's DHCP server is not functioning properly. Also, in PPPoE mode, I do get the Static IP that I pay for, so that means it is in Bridge Mode and passes routing and Public IP to my router, right?

Latest stock firmware with "WAN issues fix" and almost 24 hours no problems. I could not make more then 3 at any time. I'll keep posted but so far so good. Give it a try and see if it fixes your issue and come back to merlin after the next merge

Also, in PPPoE mode, I do get the Static IP that I pay for, so that means it is in Bridge Mode and passes routing and Public IP to my router, right?
It sounds like it's mostly working. Perhaps you need to reduce the size of the MTU (WAN - Internet Connection)?

Who is your ISP? Do they have any specific requirements to connect, like specifying the vendor ID?

Finally got a technician to come out here to see for themselves what's going on. Turns out the static IP I was using is only for their copper lines. The new fiber lines need a different subnet. They assigned me a new static IP and it's all working now.

Pisses me off that we had to wait almost 3 days for them to finally bother to come see what's actually going on and then find out it's just an incompatible IP.

Ask for a free month at least.

So I'm curious, how did they establish it was working with their diagnostic router in the first place? Did they not use your first/incorrect IP on that router and instead used their own diagnostic IP? That sucks.

Asking because I may switch to fiber in a second location and have never gone through it (cable only for 25 years, lol, never had DSL either).

So I'm curious, how did they establish it was working with their diagnostic router in the first place? Did they not use your first/incorrect IP on that router and instead used their own diagnostic IP? That sucks.

Asking because I may switch to fiber in a second location and have never gone through it (cable only for 25 years, lol, never had DSL either).
I guess they must have logged in with diagnostic credentials, not mine, so they got a dynamic IP for that connection and it worked. The second technician that came out and figured it out first tried with his laptop and then with their diagnostic router, both times using my credentials and he could not access anything either. He called a server technician to look at the modem settings on their side and then finally figured out the IP was from a subnet that couldn't work with the fiber connection. 30 seconds to issue a new IP and reconnect and it worked.

As far as fiber connection vs copper connection, definitely loving the fiber connection so far. While they don't yet offer any faster packages, the ping rate to 1.1.1.1 has been cut in half now. Also, while my speed is capped at 100mbps, speed tests now show an initial spike to 400mbps that quickly drops down to 100mbps, so quick bursts of really fast connection when my browser initially downloads something.

I'm having this exact problem with my fttp line, there was a problem with getting service to the ont but after a week that was sorted by cityfibre, I finally got my router to login after changing the vlan to 0 as suggested by technical support after originally being told to use 911 but now all my hardware says no internet connection but my ISP see my router is connected, is there anyway I can work out if the IP address is the problem by myself?
I'm nearly two weeks into having no internet on this line so far.

Last edited:
I'm having this exact problem with my fttp line, there was a problem with getting service to the ont but after a week that was sorted by cityfibre, I finally got my router to login after changing the vlan to 0 as suggested by technical support after originally being told to use 911 but now all my hardware says no internet connection but my ISP see my router is connected, is there anyway I can work out if the IP address is the problem by myself?
I'm nearly two weeks into having no internet on this line so far.
My problem ended up being that the static IP address I was assigned for my broadband modem was not in the IP pool on their end for use with the new fiber service. The issued me a new static IP, I power cycled everything, and it started working. Ultimately, issue was that the tech's that did the installation/programming were not even aware that the new ONTs would need new static IPs. And apparently I'm one of a few with this company that is paying for a static IP, so I was the guinea pig for them.

Finally got a technician to come out here to see for themselves what's going on. Turns out the static IP I was using is only for their copper lines. The new fiber lines need a different subnet. They assigned me a new static IP and it's all working now.

Pisses me off that we had to wait almost 3 days for them to finally bother to come see what's actually going on and then find out it's just an incompatible IP.
do you care to ISP shame by naming them?