What's new

New FW AC56U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.339

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I share the same story - N56U with Padavan is very solid, AC56U - terrible 2.4GHz performance. Lesson learned: I will never buy any dual-stream router ever again.

Merlin FW or stock, overclocked or not - the wifi portion on this router is just bad.
The only thing which may help a little bit - try to disable Bluetooth if you are not using it (not on the router of course - on your laptop/tablet/phone/etc.). I see slight improvement, so give it a try.

You just said that N56U is very solid, which is also a dual-stream router. If you meant dual-band then you'll be stuck at 2.4Ghz since 5ghz only wifi routers are pretty much non-existent(I've seen a 5-only bridge device once).

Last edited:
I share the same story - N56U with Padavan is very solid, AC56U - terrible 2.4GHz performance. Lesson learned: I will never buy any dual-stream router ever again.

Merlin FW or stock, overclocked or not - the wifi portion on this router is just bad.
The only thing which may help a little bit - try to disable Bluetooth if you are not using it (not on the router of course - on your laptop/tablet/phone/etc.). I see slight improvement, so give it a try.

Results vary...if you are the only 2.4g wifi AP in range...it should work fine...if their are any more than 2 or 3 other wifi's in range...forget about it...may also be your environment...such as phones, microwave...metal walls...etc..

My folks house..I have setup a Cisco e2000 with Tomato(toastman build) and that is rock solid and uses 2.4g only(since Lenovo in all their stupidness have a BIOS whitelist for their laptops that don't allow you to change/upgrade the wifi card)...2.4g range is good enough..covers their entire home...

They don't make them like they used to...the Cisco e series router were actual made by Cisco...as of a year or so ago...Cisco sold their "Cisco/Linksys" consumer brand to Belkin....(no wonder all the current Linksys routers suck...Belkin routers are by are the worst i have ever dealt with..junk..absolute junk!)

You just said that N56U is very solid, which is also a dual-stream router. If you meant dual-band then you'll be stuck at 2.4Ghz since 5ghz only wifi routers are pretty much non-existent(I've seen a 5-only bridge device once).

AC56U: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AC56U
2.4GHz is 2x2; 2

N56U: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-N56U
2x3; 2

On a side note: I do not believe that anyone can achieve an effective beamforming with only 2 radios (phased arrays are only effective if you have multiple antennas) - here is some proof here:
http://www.quantenna.com/beamforming.html

Those who have problems with 2,4 Ghz range try enabling Reducing USB 3.0 interference option in professional 2,4 Ghz settings.

Woke up this morning to find "kernel: ipv6: Neighbour table overflow." spammed for pages in my log. Is this caused by having Router Advertisement enabled? I have Comcast DHCP-PD Native IPv6.

5ghz wifi degradeing

Maybe its just my Intel AC 7260 and their dodgey drivers....

But I have been noticing the link rate degrading down to around 430......(it normally idles or stays steady at 780 where i normally keep my laptop)and it wouldn't connect at the full 866...until i rebooted router.

Weird...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!