What's new

New. Just installed Voxel SF-KF r7800 - any tips greatly appreciated.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Restalfep

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,
I’m new to all of this but have been reading a lot about Voxels fw and decided to pull the trigger. Got the latest a SF-KF version setup on my R7800.

Does anyone have any general tips for what you try or change to help optimize?

Do you turn Ht160 on?

Do you try smart connect or QoS? My internet is 100/10 so I’m not sure if necessary.

Lastly any tips regarding what to do with IPv6? I have Spectrum (formerly Brighthouse) so auto-detect goes to 6to4. I then changed dns for IPv4 and v6 to cloudflare. Do you think it’s better to keep 6to4 even with the Filtering issue ignoring “open”? Or is it better to disable IPv6 for now and just use IPv4?

Thanks so much. Any other tips or suggestions greatly appreciated. Loving my R7800 and this fw so far. Thanks Voxel!!!

Do you turn Ht160 on?
I would only turn it on if you havea 160mhz client (And there are none)

Do you try smart connect or QoS? My internet is 100/10 so I’m not sure if necessary.
I had a different smart connect acting flaky a while ago on a different router and never bothered trying again. I try to have my clients connect to 5ghz and only 5ghz.

QoS could be good if you have stuttering/lag problems with critical applications (voip, gaming, etc). Personally, we haven't had stuttering, and before the KF the device listing was bugged which made QoS not really useful to set up.

The Intel 9260ac is a HT160 client, some newer laptops like the Dell XPS and Inspiron G Series series have this or the Killer 1550 which is literally the same card. It works pretty well in my Inspiron 7577, allows transfer speeds to my NAS of 114 MB/s (910 Mbps) directly one floor below the router, close to the Ethernet limit. On HT80 it would be around 75-77 MB/s (~600 Mbps), so it’s a decent boost.

Even if you leave HT160 on without any HT160 clients, it won’t really do an really harm you as that is only active when dealing with such clients.

As for Smart Connect I agree, I am not a fan. Have experiences (Orbi) where it at times switches to 2.4 GHz in the middle of a transfer to or from my NAS greatly slowing it down. If you use the net mostly to surf or stream then it should be fine it shouldn’t do any harm.

Thanks for the tips. I tested smart connect for a week and noticed nothing positive (and few occasions were it randomly put products on 2.4 that shouldn’t have been). Disabled it and all is good so far now.

Anyone know if ipv6 is better to disable in router settings if it goes to 6to4? Since I have Spectrum (formerly brighthouse) and doesn’t look like they have native ipv6 yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all,
I’m new to all of this but have been reading a lot about Voxels fw and decided to pull the trigger. Got the latest a SF-KF version setup on my R7800.

Does anyone have any general tips for what you try or change to help optimize?

Do you turn Ht160 on?

Lastly any tips regarding what to do with IPv6? I have Spectrum (formerly Brighthouse) so auto-detect goes to 6to4. I then changed dns for IPv4 and v6 to cloudflare. Do you think it’s better to keep 6to4 even with the Filtering issue ignoring “open”? Or is it better to disable IPv6 for now and just use IPv4?

Thanks so much. Any other tips or suggestions greatly appreciated. Loving my R7800 and this fw so far. Thanks Voxel!!!

Where in your r7800 do you have Smart Connect? Stock firmware?

Where in your r7800 do you have Smart Connect? Stock firmware?

I use Voxel's latest version but the latest version of stock firmware has it as well. It is under Basic > Wireless > towards top of screen. It's off by default I think. For me it didn't benefit at all and just made things worse since switched wrong devices to 2.4g sometimes. Disabled it again.

I use Voxel's latest version but the latest version of stock firmware has it as well. It is under Basic > Wireless > towards top of screen. It's off by default I think. For me it didn't benefit at all and just made things worse since switched wrong devices to 2.4g sometimes. Disabled it again.
I'm on the latest stock v 1.0.2.46 and do not see a setting for that anywhere.

I'm on the latest stock v 1.0.2.46 and do not see a setting for that anywhere.

it was added in .52 of stock - you're definitely not on "latest" stock

On my new 7800 I had the same with it saying it was up to date when it wasn't. Nice introduction to bugs on this router

For me it didn't benefit at all and just made things worse since switched wrong devices to 2.4g sometimes.
There are some benefits:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-0-2-53sf-kf-updated.46941/page-2#post-410666

but I also do not use Smart Connect because of this:

just made things worse since switched wrong devices to 2.4g sometimes.

Well, I am not sure that these results published by kamoj are not just because of a bug in the stock firmware.

Voxel.

There are some benefits:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-0-2-53sf-kf-updated.46941/page-2#post-410666
but I also do not use Smart Connect because of this:
Well, I am not sure that these results published by kamoj are not just because of a bug in the stock firmware.
Voxel.

Smart Connect:
I've been testing dubious "Smart Connect" in both Router an AP mode since Netgear introduced this function.
Actually it's been working very good. I have not noticed any systematic or stochastic behaviour at all.
But then I "just" use WiFi for some surveillance cameras, Youtube, 1080p IPTV, and web-browsing.
I don't do big or extensive or simultaneous file transfers over WiFi.
It's working just as well through the OpenVPN client, as without VPN.

Output Power:
I have not had the time/interest to track down the unexpectedly (too) high output power I got when selecting
Smart Connect the first time.
Once I got the too high output, it stayed high even when switching Smart Connect off.
This problem with too high output power was detected using the stock FW.
After a clean start (factory reset), the output power is normal.

As a safety precaution, I advice anyone using Smart Connect for the first time to at least check the indicated output power once.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...-0-2-53sf-kf-updated.46941/page-2#post-410875
If the power is too high, do a factory reset.

There is "no" reason to let the router transmit with too high power.
(Except maybe if you e.g. use 2 R7800 in Bridged Mode, then you could benefit from it, but it's still an illegally high output in most countries).

Router WiFi Performance:
This router has amazingly good WiFi performance, in both range and speed.

Voxel:
With Voxel's firmware and superior support, I can recommend it to any home/SOHO,
especially since it's VPN speed maxes out a 100 Mbps-line, super fast Samba, DNSCrypt, Entware,
Dropbear SSH and much more goodies.

Well done Voxel - you are the best!!! :)

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!