What's new

New Motorola SB6183 or SB6182 modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

squeezil1

Occasional Visitor
Is the Motorola/Arris SB6183 modem available for sale anywhere and does anyone have any experience with it? I'm considering buying it.

I've seen the SB6182 which might be unique to Cox ISP, but cannot find a spec sheet on the SB6182. Is it is essentially the same as the SB6183?

Thanks for any information on either of these two cable modems.

Is the Motorola/Arris SB6183 modem available for sale anywhere and does anyone have any experience with it? I'm considering buying it.

I've seen the SB6182 which might be unique to Cox ISP, but cannot find a spec sheet on the SB6182. Is it is essentially the same as the SB6183?

Thanks for any information on either of these two cable modems.

Looking around on the Google - seems like the 6183 is available as retail at BestBuy and a couple of other retail places... retail modems here seem to be like the 6141 (white == retail, black == carrier provided/rental)

The 6182 is black-case only - which in Moto/Arris is carrier specific.

Key difference between the 6141 and the 6183 is that it has 16 downlink channel capability - the 6141 is an 8-downlink.

The 6183 is Docsis 3.0 conformant.

Depending on firmware, you might get a spectrum analysis output on http://192.168.100.1:8080 - this is dependent on the carrier config pushed down to the modem after activation.

sfx

Hi,
Some are lucky they can use their own modem. My ISP allows only ones they supply
(either rented or sold) They track them with s/n to keep us from using our own.
Even if you install your higher spec'd box, if ISP does not allow it's full potential, no
point buying better more expensive one.

My ISP accepts both the sb6182 and the sb6183. I'm just hoping to learn the differences, if any, between them and the availability of the sb6183 in particular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6182 is the same modem spec wise as the 6180 only smaller.

6183 is the latest modem and is 16x4.

You can find 6183 on ebay and Amazon.

I pre-ordered the 6183 on Amazon since I fall under Time Warner Cable's 'Maxx' area. Currently using a BYOD 6141 (an 8x4 channel modem)

I pre-ordered the 6183 on Amazon since I fall under Time Warner Cable's 'Maxx' area. Currently using a BYOD 6141 (an 8x4 channel modem)

That's another issue: only Amazon lists the 6183 for sale and that is with a 3-6 week wait. From personal experience with Amazon, that could easily become a 3-6 month wait.

Aside from Amazon, no other vendor seems to have the 6183 available. I checked Newegg, Best Buy, Tiger Direct and Microcenter, but none of them even list the modem. I've looked on eBay but the SB6183 isn't there either.

I made it to a Cox retail store and saw the SB6182. It comes in a generic plain brown box that just lists the model number and "DOCSIS 3.0 modem." Inside the box was a basic set-up sheet. There were no specs anywhere: not on the packaging and not inside the box. The sheet directs users to motorola.com/us/support for help with the modem. Went to the site and the SB6182 isn't listed anywhere. Pretty lame and I'm not buying any device where I can't read its capabilities.

Earlier in the day, I had a text chat with Arris customer support. He was unable to tell me anything about the SB6182. He didn't have any information about it. Hard to believe that a company rep can't tell a prospective customer anything about a device on his company's website.

I'll wait for the SB6183 to hit retail stores.

I have an Arris
CM820A which is DOCSIS 3 and works well.
It's provided by the ISP (TimeWarner). I elect to not buy my own because of the every-other-month problems with TimeWarner, all of which are their system, not my gear. But they love to threaten then levy a truck-roll charge now, blaming the customer-owned equipment. I have none!

This has been going on for the 15 years I've lived here - since it was RoadRunner before TimeWarner bought them.

Last year or so, most problems are not the DOCSIS and Internet, but rather, TV switched digital video (SDV), essentially because its oversubscribed.

The cable modem problems have been theirs: upstream frequency path to the headend was often too impaired with self-interference and the upstream would lose lock. Of course, they have to drive here once again to see once again that it's their issue, not mine. But a big improvement was made when they removed an illegal 4-way splitter in my coax that was in the neighboring townhouse's attic. Ha!

Received my modem this evening, swapped my 6141 with it on TWC just now.

Fastest activation I ever did on TWC SoCal. So far, so good :)

Attachments

• IMG_1736.jpg
    IMG_1736.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 779
Likewise, I received the SB6183 yesterday and set it up with Cox (my ISP). Works like a charm. I'm paying for 150Mb down and was getting 178Mb with this modem and a RT-AC87R router.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!