What's new

New router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In my opinion, an improvement for AX88U could be: GT-AX6000, RT-AX86 Pro, GT-AX11000 Pro.
Not AX82U (it's a worse device).
A cheaper alternative to AX88U can be AX86S/AX86U.

I recommend the GT-AX6000, but I am biased! ;)

Do you still have it? :)
Oh yea…. :) so far it is working great. I did add one of my AC86U as a wired aimesh node due some wifi IoT devices dropping off in my outside office.

In your case I would send it back immediately. What $300 improvement did you get over 2x AC86U?

On the wifi side of things, nothing really. On the other hand, when I load up running my amtm scripts plus my 2 vpn connections it handles them much better without getting sluggish not to mention the high cpu temperature.

As you well know, I like to play and I admit to liking the Asus management interface better than the other solutions I have tried.

Besides, I needed a new toy and these are cheaper than the cars I used to buy and sell. :)

This is a valid reason. For the same reason I've got AX86U. It's relaxing on the shelf now. Not sure what to do with it.
Yo Ebeneezer, tis this season for giving to those less fortunate.
I shouldn't need to post a slow motion video of AC wireless users suffering with old tech, and of course a sad Sarah McLachlan song playing in the background.
I PM'd you my home address, I shall provide a home for your unused AX86U.

Yo Ebeneezer, tis this season for giving to those less fortunate.

I know and I have scheduled charity event on Dec 02, 2022. This year 60 kids from less fortunate families will receive for Christmas professionally refurbished DELL OptiPlex Intel i5-class SFF computers (Win10, monitor, keyboard/mouse included). I'm investing CAD4600 in this project for new SSD drives, keyboard/mouse, Wi-Fi adapters, labor/materials and logistics. I've got some donations as well for the same project.

Last edited:
Well I've looked at so many routers,even the AX89X.Depending on Black Friday I think I will get the AX86u, If it's good enough that will be it,if not I will get another router next year and use as a mesh.

Well I've looked at so many routers,even the AX89X.Depending on Black Friday I think I will get the AX86u, If it's good enough that will be it,if not I will get another router next year and use as a mesh.

Just go GT-AX6000 if price is in similar range to AX86U. More modern and doesn't use a 5+ year old 28nm CPU. WIFI performance should be similar enough, and better for LoS. IE: It does extremely well with no walls between client.

AX89X should have an advantage if your walls deteriorate performance of BCM AX 4x4. 8x8 mode caps at 80mhz bonding, but it really doesn't matter IMO... Does not support 3rd party merlin due to it being a QCA platform.

Best value would be a cheap AC86U/GT-AC2900 around $100, but thats only a dual core A53 and would be weaker for VPN and other CPU task.

Last edited:
So out of the ones mentioned which one as the latest and best software, I will possibly go for that

GT-AX6000 is the latest hardware. For the best software - good luck.
Thanks,I'll see if I can put Merlin on it,by that I mean if I am brave enough..Will see what happens on black Friday.Will be nice to get a faster speed on my phone ,at the moment I'm getting 45 download speed ,s getting over 600

No big difference for a single client/server. OpenVPN is single core. The cores are the same ARMv8 + AES.

Yeah 4908 and 4906 are basically the same design minus two cores. I don't exactly go heavy on CPU use personally.

Both older than 4912 (1 year on market) in GT-AX6000.. which will be supported along with 4916 (native 10gBE) in future WIFI7 products.

QCA's next gen lineup looks beefier (A73 @ 2.2ghz), but nothing on the consumer side yet. ASUS generally favors BCM anyway. (AX89X is niche 8x8 5G + SFP support)

There are 3 users in the house and the budget is around £400/£500.My son as a playstation,I could possibly play games on my Nvidia shield but don't at the moment.Got lots of smart home things,smart TV plus android TV in bedroom.

What is currently providing Wi-Fi and does it have enough coverage? ZenWiFi routers are perhaps better looking, but folks often complain about firmware support. You had AX88U already. Was it doing what you expect your new router to do? It is still a high-end router and you can't get much better.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!