What's new

New router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Op

I also have virgin but it's 350mb. I use my virgin router in modem mode and use asus rt ac86u. Works fine for me with merlin on. I also have a 68u in aimesh mode, again works fine.

My use is 6x wireless cctv cameras, approx 10 devices and gaming on PC via ethernet.

What is currently providing Wi-Fi and does it have enough coverage? ZenWiFi routers are perhaps better looking, but folks often complain about firmware support. You had AX88U already. Was it doing what you expect your new router to do? It is still a high-end router and you can't get much better.
At the moment I am using my ISP router which is for some reason stuck in modem mode I tried to put it back to router mode but it won't change, I could possibly factory reset it but I'll wait until l buy a new router. Work last router it was good speed downstairs but much slower in the back bedroom where my son as his players.

If single AX88U wasn't providing enough coverage, you can try AiMesh with 2x AX86U (main + node) routers or 1x AX86U (main) and 1x AX86S (node). AiMesh works best with identical routers and wired backhaul to the node, if possible. AX86U/S have the same radios and use the same firmware. The firmware will be updated at the same time for best compatibility. The same radios on both main + node will give you a chance for better roaming. You get Asuswrt-Merlin support + OpenVPN with up to about 250Mbps speed. This setup fits your budget as well.

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated.I will see what Black Friday brings,I'm nervous about putting Merlin on but will give it a go. I did flash a android box years ago and that worked out ok. I have Nord VPN and get reasonable speed with it, I only use it on my shield and phone if I go out to a stadium. would those 2 routers be better than getting the XT8 pair?

I'm nervous about putting Merlin on but will give it a go.

You don't have to worry much about Asuswrt-Merlin. The new stock Asuswrt 388 firmware contains almost everything you may need from Asuswrt-Merlin except advanced VPN routing configurations and ability to run custom scripts. It comes with VPN Fusion and has simpler VPN setup - good for most users. I would keep the routers on stock Asuswrt for better AiMesh. There are some quirks with Asuswrt-Merlin and AiMesh. Keep it simple.

Ok thanks, just a waiting game for black Friday. Going out to seehttps://stockportplaza.co.uk/whats-on/the-story-of-guitar-heroes/.

would those 2 routers be better than getting the XT8 pair?

You can try XT8, but it has much weaker CPU cores than AX86 series and 1/2 RAM compared to AX86U. XT8 is perhaps a good option to try for wireless backhaul AiMesh - it has 3x radios, one 4x4 radio dedicated for the backhaul and two 2x2 radios for the clients. XT8 users hunt for stable firmware for years and this is the main concern. Otherwise it looks good and has better WAF (wife acceptance factor). Try it, but make sure you have return options.

I, too, have been considering the AX86U to replace my AC88U, although the comments I've been reading here seem to be lukewarm about the AX86.

I thought I'd add a positive observation about a mesh system, in case it helps in any upgrade choices:

My main router is an AC88U running Merlin for 5 years with Comcast cable ISP, up to 250 Mbps. Then, about a year ago, I was given a 3-piece XD4 ZenWiFi AX1800 AiMesh.

In my limited experience, the XD4 AiMesh has been performing well for me connected to the AC88. With Ethernet backhaul on all nodes, I can get high-speed Wi-Fi connection anywhere in the house (2-stories, 2,400 sf). My Samsung S22 Ultra is a happy camper. I've used the XD4 both as (1) an AP (with self-contained 3-node AiMesh system) for the AC88 and (2) all three nodes connected to the AC88 AiMesh interface. (In the first case, all Wi-Fi clients connected to the XD4 show up as wired on the AC88.) Usually, the AC88 has a total of about 10 wired and 15 wireless clients.

Recently, I upgraded cable Internet speed to 1.2 Gbps. To verify ISP speed, I rented their gateway for a couple of weeks, and compared to a purchased Arris S33 which got the same speeds. Connected directly to the modem, the XD4 gave me > 900 Mbps to over 1 Gbps speed using Fast.com. (Yeah, chasing speed test numbers.) The built-in speed test in the AC88 only gets 400-500 Mbps (which I understand may be a red herring) connected directly to the modem. My computers are all old enough that I don't trust their speed capabilities for either LAN or Internet. But with a borrowed new laptop, I got > 900 Mbps Internet speed on all LAN ports of the AC88 (and on Wi-Fi in close proximity). I also get at least 350 Mbps Internet speed anywhere in the house with my phone (or at least 900 Mbps near any XD4 node if I reset Wi-Fi on the phone to connect to that node).

I considered just using the XD4 as the main router, but it's a bit skimpy on the UI features and doesn't do Merlin, so there's not as much to tinker with.

Last edited:
I just did a speed test on my windows 11 laptop using fast.com I got 36 Mbps.Using Analiti sped test I got 460Mbps.

On my phone, about 15 ft away from the node I'm connected to, fast.com got 650-750 Mbps in 3 tests, and Analiti 450-700 Mbps in 3 tests (while streaming a 4K movie on TV). I haven't used Analiti before, so I've got some exploring to do.

(Edit: Your 36 Mbps on fast.com seems low to me when your utility app measured over 400.) These other Internet speed test links at the bottom of this website might be useful to you. They all work for me except Spectrum, which requires log in: http://www.cfspeed.com/

i also noticed you can map the signal strength in different rooms using the Analiti app and WiFiman app.

Last edited:
I tried a few of them and then fast.com.Fast.com is always 100 faster than the rest. I'm just waiting for black Friday.And see what the best deal is.

Still no deals available yet, nothing on Amazon. Might have to look at a another option but unsure what to look at.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!