What's new

New RT-AX88U - No WAN 4 Days Later

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FreeAOLtrialCD

New Around Here
Last week lightning killed the WAN ports on my modem and wireless router. Got the modem replaced and ordered up a nice, new WiFi 6 AX6000 ASUS RT-AX88U. At $340 it was significantly more than my old $150 TP-Link AC2300, but it seemed to make sense to upgrade now and "future proof" if I'm going to be spending the money on a new router. I am looking into streaming online gaming as an additional revenue stream, so the ASUS seemed to make sense, plus it had a smaller form factor compared to the Netgear AX8.

I'm a "tech guy" that has built computers, websites, setup servers, and home networks with open-source firmware etc. over the years. However, the older I get the less that all appeals to me, I just want stuff to work. My setup is simple. I live alone in an apartment as an internet-only cordcutting Charter customer. I have the modem they provide and use my own wireless router. PC is wired and a handful of devices are wireless.

After 4 days and $340, connection suddenly cuts out in the middle of a gaming session, WAN light goes solid red and the admin panel says, "Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly". I landed here and researched everything I could and tried nearly everything I can find. Newest stock firmware, GUI factory reset, manual factory reset, NVRAM erase, M&M, Sanitization, power cycles, settings changes etc. (BIG thanks to some of the power users here for their detailed guides and FAQs--you are the heroes we need, but don't deserve!)

If I plug my modem directly in my PC, everything works just fine. No issue with the ISP at all.

Countless users seem to be having these same issues with various ASUS models on both the Merlin and stock firmware. Frankly, the amount of issues people have with the ASUS routers is astounding. My dad (also a "tech guy") fought with various ASUS models until he finally just went with the AX8 from Netgear and says he couldn't be happier.

The thing I liked most about my TP-Link was how it worked. I plugged it in and it worked. At this point I'm thinking about just returning the router and going with something more trusted like a unit from UbiquiFi as I don't have interest in spending my time constantly trying to get my network to work with custom firmware and scripts. I just want my money to result in a high quality, working router so I can live my life.

Any ideas?

You put it straight to the point!
Do you really think you will get approvement here in Asus forum for return?
You can do really a lot with these routers if you use all those fancy scripts, but you will never get your basic needs satisfied.

You are a tech guy you said? What does it mean? Do you have a degree in Information Technology or computer science? If you do then you could perfectly understand the impact of configuring a device one way or another, so check your settings again.
I have a AX88U and only once the WAN light went red and I fixed it straight away. Never happened again. Fantastic router!
Is you ISP giving you a static WAN ip address? Then don't let the router find it, just add it.
When you bought it, did you do a factory reset and then load the firmware? What firmware?
Did you configure it for IPTV?
Did you turn it off and unplug everything for 30 minutes?
WAN link is not down for no reason,there is always a reason. Most of the times is the users fault. Level up your skills a bit.

Last edited:
Turn the modem off for 10-15 mins to allow your ISP to fully reset the connection on their end, then try again.

Frankly, the amount of issues people have with the ASUS routers is astounding.

This is just because you are a forum with a lot of Asus users. Go to the official Netgear forums for example, and you will see the same amount of complains about Netgear routers.

People generally go to these forums to get support, rarely to praise that what they have "just works". I could say the latter in my own case, all my Asus routers have "just worked" since I started using them back in 2012. And I've been through a lot of different models of their routers.

Last week lightning killed the WAN ports on my modem and wireless router. Got the modem replaced and ordered up a nice, new WiFi 6 AX6000 ASUS RT-AX88U. At $340 it was significantly more than my old $150 TP-Link AC2300, but it seemed to make sense to upgrade now and "future proof" if I'm going to be spending the money on a new router. I am looking into streaming online gaming as an additional revenue stream, so the ASUS seemed to make sense, plus it had a smaller form factor compared to the Netgear AX8.

I'm a "tech guy" that has built computers, websites, setup servers, and home networks with open-source firmware etc. over the years. However, the older I get the less that all appeals to me, I just want stuff to work. My setup is simple. I live alone in an apartment as an internet-only cordcutting Charter customer. I have the modem they provide and use my own wireless router. PC is wired and a handful of devices are wireless.

After 4 days and $340, connection suddenly cuts out in the middle of a gaming session, WAN light goes solid red and the admin panel says, "Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly". I landed here and researched everything I could and tried nearly everything I can find. Newest stock firmware, GUI factory reset, manual factory reset, NVRAM erase, M&M, Sanitization, power cycles, settings changes etc. (BIG thanks to some of the power users here for their detailed guides and FAQs--you are the heroes we need, but don't deserve!)

If I plug my modem directly in my PC, everything works just fine. No issue with the ISP at all.

Countless users seem to be having these same issues with various ASUS models on both the Merlin and stock firmware. Frankly, the amount of issues people have with the ASUS routers is astounding. My dad (also a "tech guy") fought with various ASUS models until he finally just went with the AX8 from Netgear and says he couldn't be happier.

The thing I liked most about my TP-Link was how it worked. I plugged it in and it worked. At this point I'm thinking about just returning the router and going with something more trusted like a unit from UbiquiFi as I don't have interest in spending my time constantly trying to get my network to work with custom firmware and scripts. I just want my money to result in a high quality, working router so I can live my life.

Any ideas?
Change the power adapter. Same thing happens? It's a defective router. Return it.

Look guys, take it down a notch. Help with the question if you can. Otherwise skip the editorial comments about the validity of the question.

Look guys, take it down a notch. Help with the question if you can. Otherwise skip the editorial comments about the validity of the question.
Where is my reply? The replies that are insulting him are still up there. Why did you delete only my reply?

Guys, I know forums are good to pinpoint things like this. Unfortunately most of the times, when there is an issue of this type, is a setup issue, nothing else.
WAN Day 1 +

Which is EXACTLY why I posted the link , it gives information on all the previous queries for the exact same issue and how to resolve it. :rolleyes:

I also had a lightning strike take out my modem and router. After replacing them I discovered that it had also damaged my ethernet cables so you might consider replacing them if you haven't already done so.

1. Check WAN Ethernet Cable. Get it crimped again if possible or replace it with new cable.
2. Possibly replace your Fiber/Cable/ADSL/VDSL modem
3. Replace Asus's router's power brick with same voltage/amp/wattage one.
4. If problem persists, put in warranty request at Asus customer care.

After 4 days and $340, connection suddenly cuts out in the middle of a gaming session, WAN light goes solid red and the admin panel says, "Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly". I landed here and researched everything I could and tried nearly everything I can find. Newest stock firmware, GUI factory reset, manual factory reset, NVRAM erase, M&M, Sanitization, power cycles, settings changes etc.

Check the WAN modem - could be that it was also damaged by the lightning strike... both the modem itself, and its associated power adapter.

You didn't mention if your WAN connection was cable, dsl, or fiber. There may be damage there on the media run into the house, or from the demarc to where the modem is, in the US, esp. out here in SoCal, telecom/cable/power share the same earth ground, normally very close to the power meter...

I'm guessing that the OP resolved his issue as he has never logged back in or responded since his initial post. :rolleyes:

Same thing just happened to me. Finally got a replacement sorted out and taking my one back to PC world UK (don't laugh) as I need one urgently. Is it possible that the latest firmware screwed things up?
I got my one from: https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RT-AX88U/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Version 3.0.0.4.386.41249 2020/12/08
Saved the previous version that worked just in case:
Version 3.0.0.4.384.9579 2020/10/13
As it was working with (3.0.0.4.384.9579).

For solving certain DHCP related issues where the Asus router doesn't seem to always acquire an IP address from the ISP's modem... Try changing the Asus router settings under... WAN tab > Internet Connection > DHCP query frequency = Normal Mode (instead of the default of Aggressive Mode) and click Apply at the bottom of the page and wait a few minutes for the new settings to update the router. Then power off the modem and router for at least 5 minutes and wait...Then power on only the ISP modem for at least 5 minutes, then power on the Asus router... in that sequence.

Last edited: