What's new

New RT-AX88U setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wmmallette47

Regular Contributor
I have a new RT-AX88U and get cross-eyed reading all the posts about firmware versions, resets, etc. i am looking for advice about initial setup and firmware pitfalls. Is, technically minded, but have little networking lingo knowledge. What are best practices for a newbie setting up this router for the first time? Please be easy on me, and TIA for any advice or direction to reading resources you can point me to.

I appreciate the response. I will give it a go. Been reading forum posts like crazy. I saw a post not long ago where you said you may actually prefer the AX86U to the AX88U. Is that still true? And if so, why?

I do prefer the RT-AX86U over any other RMerlin powered Asus router available today. I have two in wired AiMesh (2.5GbE backhaul) mode that is the best wired and wireless performance I have ever enjoyed so for in my home.

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

386.1 Final 2x RT-AX86Us 2.5GbE Backhaul

Sorry, I haven't updated my signature (still), but today I am running these on the RMerlin 386.1_2 firmware for a couple of days now without issues.

I do prefer the RT-AX86U over any other RMerlin powered Asus router available today. I have two in wired AiMesh (2.5GbE backhaul) mode that is the best wired and wireless performance I have ever enjoyed so for in my home.

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

386.1 Final 2x RT-AX86Us 2.5GbE Backhaul

Sorry, I haven't updated my signature (still), but today I am running these on the RMerlin 386.1_2 firmware for a couple of days now without issues.
So the 86 supports Merlin too?

When I read reviews from the average consumer about issues with these types of devices, I take 99% of it with a grain of salt because 99% of people just buy a device, plug it in and want it to work perfectly for ever without learning anything about how it operates. And while I do get that for the price of these routers, it’s just not how I work.

That being said, is data collection from Asus any type of legit issue?

FE8335AC-64B8-4B41-9FD0-EA8A1C0B8A87.jpeg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!