What's new

New Wireless AC router vs poweline network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

random betrayal

New Around Here
So I am replacing a really old laptop with a new desktop build that I am currently mulling over parts for. I don't want to replace with a laptop as the laptop has not moved from the current location for 5 years.

The location of the computer is such that no network cable will be able to reach it, and there is no way to run a cable in the attic or baseboards to do so either.

I am thinking of upgrading my router to the new AC version and putting a wireless adapter
card into the new desktop as found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833106192

Or maybe a motherboard that has it included like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=4#scrollFullInfo

My question is would this be worse off than going with a powerline kit. I am planning on upgrading the router to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122466

regardless so the cost of powerline vs. the adapter are about the same.

The current wireless signal in the laptop is pretty good so the connection should be adequate to get as good a throughput as possible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Your first link (for the wireless adaptor for desktops, I assume) is not going to any product, just an error link...

Just want to give a heads up that motherboard based AC wireless solutions have been buggy (do a google search) and; drivers will be much less forthcoming from a M/B manufacturer than a dedicated wireless adaptor manufacturer.

I would not be relying on powerline products either: many have reported AC class routers/clients 'easily' beating even 500Mbps powerline products (when the signal is strong, of course). And; the last link gives an error too...

In your case, I might keep the old laptop as a 'wireless adaptor' for your new desktop (sharing the internet connection...) and wait to see what Asus and other manufacturers have in store for us in 2014 regarding Wave 2 AC routers.

As per 'maylyn': 'Some sneak leaks on the next generation of the 2014 ASUS routers in the drawing board that will offer 160 MHz channel width as well as MU-MIMO'.

With the later being worth waiting for (at least for a site with many wireless clients).

Merry Christmas to one and all!

is anybody doing AC particularly well? i'm still running a single N300 AP, been left alone for the last like 2 years.

I'd do something like pcie n300 or n450 adapter, just because they are handy even if you aren't using it to connect to your AP. I think AC needs another 3 months to mature, at least. My experiences have learned me not to be an early adopter, when linux is involved. Of course, not knocking AC or it's users. AC is obviously the future, and a pretty one at that. I just like to use my network rather than beta test it. I've never owned a draft N device, for example.

Powerline ethernet is pretty cool, but you should definitely test it out from somewhere with a nice return policy. The tech is fine, just you may find that your home's wiring breaks the connection where you want it.

MoCa is also a pretty cool alternative, but you'll likely need to upgrade every coax splitter in the house to get full performance. Not a big deal unless the splitters are in the attic, under the house, etc. Sometimes i guess people find they have a garbage splitter they can't possibly get to, in which case you'd be screwed. Another thing you should probably test from somewhere with a decent return policy.

Sorry for the bad links, the power line adapters i was looking at are these Linksys ones:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124482

but I am open to any that would work well if there are other suggestions.
Moca is not an option at this location.

The router is the netgear 6300 and the adapter was this from intel:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106192

It is currently out of stock, but as I said i am in the research phase so I have time.

I kinda thought the same thing with the motherboard version of the adapter. Plus the mini-itx version of boards are the ones that seem to have the adapter included most often and there is no reason that I need to go mini.

The computer is a general family use, some gaming, some photoshop along with web and office use, nothing fancy so cheap and reliable are the main drivers.

Thank you for the working links.

I have a client with a Netgear 6300 and although it is stable (after a couple of firmware updates - he is using the latest version), it is not the best router for range or speed. For a 2.4 GHz primary wireless network; I would recommend the RT-N66U with the SDK5 latest firmware from RMerlin. For a 5 GHz primary wireless network; I would be looking towards the RT-AC68U - though I can't really 'recommend' it at this time (don't have one yet).

The Intel desktop wireless adaptor should be great for a Windows 8 (or 8.1) computer with the latest drivers - my only concern is that it is only a 2 antenna design (but considering your typical use of the computer in question, that may not be that important in this case).

Not familiar with the power line solutions - but I agree with the above poster to try from a place with a liberal return policy if the wiring at your location proves troublesome. With the low (200Mbps) spec'd maximum though, I would be inclined to go with an internal adaptor over wireless (in your situation it sounds like you get a good/great connection at the location of the desktop, correct?) - especially with an AC 5GHz signal at a relatively short distance; I think you'll get much more throughput than the powerline plugs, imo.

Of course, your budget is king... so don't go overboard when something 'lesser' might work just as well for you.

If you can: buy, try and compare the router (or routers...), the powerline plugs and the wireless adaptor all together and return the parts that don't work.

Thanks for the input, and yes the current signal from the old buffalo G version router with tomato firmware on it is pretty decent to the existing laptop. It is less then 20 feet through three drywall- walls so I am thinking the AC router and client will be adequate for the situation.

I am still pondering the motherboard with the adapter built in as an option.

I am getting the router as a refurbished unit from the factory for under $100 so it sways my decision against some of the other more pricey routers that have better specs but not by a margin that will affect what I am doing.

I hope to repurpose the buffalo router as a bridge in the living room for the xbox to get back on the internet with. It is also less than 20 feet from the new router and through only 1 wall.

The network will also have phones and an ipad so it will definatly be mixed wireless versions at play all at once.

Just find it amazing that any home network can work and be optimized. Between A/B/G/N/AC/2.4ghz/5ghz how is the average consumer supposed to make wise choices on what to get. The cable Internet companies and landline Internet companies are still pushing there old 2.4ghz G wifi router-modems which results in frustration for many.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!