What's new

Upgrading to new router advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BGIYYZ

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I've been going back and forth trying figure out what wifi router I should by. Any advice is gratefully accepted.

Okay, I live in a 2 storey + basement house. About 2800sf.

I currently use an Asus RT-N16 router with stock firmware in the basement and this handles all wifi duties (phones, tablets, various laptops). I have tried DD-WRT firmware but at the time it didn't support a printer server and this is important to me. Also, this is where the modem is located.

Also in the basement is a Netgear XAV5001 powerline adapter. The other end of the powerline adapter is on the 2nd floor where it is attached to a router that handles the smart tv, ps4 and the like.

I understand it is usually best to put wifi routers as high up as possible (ie: not the basement), so my plan is to replace the powerline adapters with a pair of TP-Link TL-PA9020P, leave the Asus RT-N16 where it is, but turn off the wifi and put a TP-Link AC2600 (Archer C2600) on the 2nd floor attached to the new powerline adapter. This would be the the router through which all wifi traffic goes.

I use my network mostly for streaming video/audio and for storage (there is a NAS upstairs, but am considering moving it to the basement if the new powerline adapters can handle it).

Any advice on the potential setup? Or perhaps a different product might be more suitable? Especially for the router, I have no need of some crazy $350+ router with 8 antennae - I don't do online gaming.

Thanks in advance.

edited for clarity

Last edited:
To help illustrate what I'm talking about, please see the attached schematic.

For the new wifi router, I'm also considering the Asus RT-AC68U, TP-Link Archer C7 or Asus RT-AC66U

Let me know your thoughts on which router you would recommend or even which powerline adapter to get or if the way I'm thinking of organizing my equipment.

NETWORK LAYOUT.jpg

Your plan seems like it will work, but dumb question, what problem are you trying to solve? Do you get okay wifi coverage in your house right now?

If wifi coverage is adequate, you could probably just put a new router down in the basement and leave most everything as is.

Or, if wifi coverage is not good everywhere, even after putting the new router working as an AP upstairs, you may not have coverage in the basement, in which case you'd want to use the wifi from both routers.

I'm primarily trying to get better coverage and range, as well as faster speeds. I think I may making the new router (ended up getting the Asus RT-AC86) an access point upstairs as you suggested. I'll have to read up on what that all means, but if I can continue to use my old RT-N16 router to make the whole wifi coverage more seamless, then that's a good thing.