What's new

New Wireless Router Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FlatCappedNutter

New Around Here
Hi All

I would really like some advice on wireless routers I am looking for a new one as my old Netgear DGND3700v2 is starting to show it’s age. The price does not matter to much if I am getting good equipment but obviously I don’t really want to be paying stupid prices needlessly. I have always had Netgear equipment before but I am happy to swap to something else if the features are right.

I do online game a bit but just with friends, I remote into work a lot using VPN and RDP, and I have quite a few wireless devices so need good wireless. I would like a new router to have as many of the following features natively supported by the router OS I really cannot be bothered/don’t like flashing one with different/open source OS’s.

Essential for new router
4x 1gb network ports (minimum)
Very Good Wireless range or easy expandability (may need external access point for garden)

Would be Very Nice
Fibre modem built in if possible (so I can get rid of the white BT Box)
VPN Client Natively (I use Nord as my VPN) can live without this but I really would like it

Some routers I have looked at are

ASUS DSL-AC68U
Netgear D7000-200UKS
Upiquiti dream machine (expensive but I do have some ubiquiti switches as well)

Thanks in advance

Asus RT-AC86U or for WIFI 6 an RT-AX86U. The RT-AX86U has an extra 2.5 GIG port which can be use for WAN, LAN or WAN Aggregation. Not a great idea to get a router with built in modem. Asus has a prettu good mesh system if you want to extend the WIFI. Mesh is much better than an "extender."

Go for dream machine if it solves and you already have switches make sense. Instead why not try the New AP lite if you have POE switch. Its not possible to get wifi coverage to whole home with single high end router . Still signal fade especially on 5ghz and most client devices sufficate on connection rate to not able to get full ISP speed as you are on the right Fiber connection.

Asus RT-AC86U or for WIFI 6 an RT-AX86U. The RT-AX86U has an extra 2.5 GIG port which can be use for WAN, LAN or WAN Aggregation. Not a great idea to get a router with built in modem. Asus has a prettu good mesh system if you want to extend the WIFI. Mesh is much better than an "extender."

This is THE correct answer. Ignore anything else. :)

Hi

Thanks for the info, well my old netgear router has just decided to die (well I am not fully sure if it is the router or the modem) it was only giving me a 8mb download and weirdly 12mb upload but this was decreasing every day, I managed to get my ISP to send out a replacement one, which has a built-in modem (which is getting 54mb download and 12mb up) it is serving a purpose at the moment but it is lacking a fair few of the more advanced features I would like.

Does anyone know if the Ubiquiti Dream machine (not the pro cannot afford that plus no space for it) can do the VPN client/split tunnel(i think some call it)? I cannot seem to find much information on it. One of the main reasons I am thinking of this is it will better fit in with the network and the VLANS I am currently setting up for the network.

The Asus devices do look good I will definitely be looking closer at them not sure how they will be/work with the Ubiquiti switch VLANS.

Thanks for the help.