What's new

[News] 219P / 219e / 439U RP / SS-439 / SS-839 on computex 2009

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

christian

New Around Here

Attachments

• SS439.jpg
    SS439.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 627
Thanks for the post, Christian. It's interesting that QNAP is producing new models specifically to handle 2.5" drives. Synology seems to be meeting that need via simple plastic adapters.

Hi Tim,

yes i have seen these smal 3,5" to 2,5" adapters from synology at the cebit exhibition this year.
I prefer the 100% solution from qnap ;)

Christian

Mhh hard to explain (translate) from german into english but i think "tinker" is the right word for it.

For me it looks like tinker. On the other hand it may look like more flexible but when i go out and look for i new devices (whatever) i knew what i want so i decide before i buy if i go for a 2,5" or a 3,5" solution.
This is only my view!

Christian

Nice, since 2.5" Model are uses much less power. But with current biggest 2.5" disk being only 500GB, i doubt this is ever going to popular.
Unless we see 1TB 2.5" Notebook HDD for cheap......

I'm not sure that I understand the appeal of using 2.5" drives, especially SSD. But offering an adapter for those who want to play is much easier way to go.

Nice, since 2.5" Model are uses much less power. But with current biggest 2.5" disk being only 500GB, i doubt this is ever going to popular. Unless we see 1TB 2.5" Notebook HDD for cheap......
I think a lot of consumer NAS units are run by people with less than a TB of data. They sell a lot of those small size units and the BYODs with one bay. So this fits right in in terms of size. Plus its obvious that the smaller drives too will get to 1Tb shortly.

But still the smarter thing IMO would be to take the standard NAS units and too them to accept both types of drives.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!