What's new

No Internet on Some devices When OpenVPN Client Is Activated

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oldzskool

Occasional Visitor
So I have an Asus RT AC87u router with Asuswrt Merlin 384.13.10 installed, I use an old 4g Android phone as a USB Modem and I have set up an OpenVPN client on the router using my Nord VPN account by following the tutorial from the Nord website to set this up and it will connect just fine when I click the service state switch to green "ON". The devices that I want to connect over the VPN are a 2 year old LG Smart TV, MacBook Pro mid 2012, Google Nest Mini Gen 2, Firestick Gen 2, Google Chromecast Gen2, iPhone 7 and a Pixel 3XL.

I get internet on the TV, Macbook Pro, Firestick, Chromecast and Iphone 7 and all these devices return the same Nord I.P server address when checking "Whats my I.P" but the Nest Mini just keeps telling me "Hmmmmm, there is a glitch....." and the Pixel will just hang when trying to open a webpage before eventually returning a blank page telling me there is no internet although weirdly on the Pixel when I got to Ookla speedtest.net I can run a speedtest just fine with similar speeds as any of the other devices. As soon as I turn the service state switch to "OFF" internet works on all devices without a hitch.

I have tried several different Nord OpenVPN config files set up using the other vpn client slots, I have tried giving each device a static I.P address in LAN>DHCP server settings and messed with different scripts in the Custom Configuration box that I found from other forums but nothing will get the Nest Mini or Pixel 3XL to work as you want and expect.

I was wondering if this could be a DNS server setting issue because as I am using a android phone as 4g modem the one step I cannot complete in the Nord set up tutorial is the WAN>WAN DNS Settings and entering their DNS server configs.

I'm pulling my hair out with this I can't find any other threads on the net with the same/similar problems so this is my last roll of the dice so any help or fixes are greatfully received thank you.

In the VPN client configuration settings try each of the different options for "Accept DNS Configuration".

Thanks I've tried all four Disabled, Relaxed, Strict and Exclusive and it doesnt make any difference still the Nest Mini and Pixel 3XL do not connect to the internet. Usually in android if the device detects no internet on wifi it will give you a notification telling you there is no data so the phone must be getting some sort of data connection but is unable to browse the web or run any apps requiring network connection.

For each device NOT working, try adding the following to the firewall, replacing the source IP w/ that assigned to the device (you can just copy/paste them for the time being in an ssh window).

Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -s 192.168.1.100 -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 8.8.8.8
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -s 192.168.1.100 -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 8.8.8.8

Thanks eibgrad I'll give this a go when I get home later. Just one thing, I'm quite computer savvy but forgive me for asking, where exactly do I paste this text? I'm not that familiar with all this type of router configuration.

Once you establish the ssh session to the router, you should be able to copy the commands, then paste them to the terminal window (shift+insert usually works for the purposes of pasting).

Erm.... I dont know how to SSH into the router, but |I have managed to activate it, sorry for my lack of knowledge :rolleyes:

Just to add a bit further to this, I now believe it is just android devices that are unable to access internet over the OpenVPN client. Both my apple devices work perfectly and the smart tv also. My Pixel 3xl, nest mini 2, firestick and now a family memebers Galaxy Tab A will not work. Does this shed any light on the issue?