What's new

No "Smart Connect" on the NETGEAR R7800.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdysthe

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I've been working on my home network after my old R7000 died and could not be resurrected. In another thread here I've been advised to step up my game and get a R7800 which is more likely to utilize my gigabit connection through my NETGEAR CM1000 modem. I have ordered a R7800 so I can test the two before I return the R7000, or maybe even the R7800?

My network is used by my large family and friends and not by users very interested in how the the network works and should be used. They only get about it when it's down for some reason. I have always had Smart Connect enabled on the R7000 offering one SSID and it seems to like everyone have been getting on the appropriate frequency. I have not had to explain to my family that there are two SSIDs and that they are different. I see that the R7800 doesn't have Smart Connect. I have seem a couple of threads about this but none of them were conclusive. I would very much like to be able to have one SSID if at all possible, but will of course deal with two if I have to. Advice in this regard would be great.

Last edited:
Smart Connect has been in the firmware for a while now. Just make sure you're updated to .52 as the the latest version has an issue with WiFi.

Better still, put it on Voxel's firmware, which is Netgears but with updated packages, tweaks and the possibility to run and do extra bits. He's currently on .60SF

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!