What's new

No WiFi if usb stick attached

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sas

Regular Contributor
I have a very strange issue happening the last couple of days with my AC86U running 386.7_2:
  1. If the usb stick (containing some files and entware folder) is attached (to either usb port) while booting up the router, WiFi will fail and be unavailable.
  2. The networks (2g and 5g) are still showing up on various devices in the available WiFi network lists, but trying to connect to them fails.
  3. Removing the usb stick makes the WiFi networks work again (without rebooting the router)
  4. Replacing the usb stick (hot plugging it, again without rebooting) restores the entware functionality and everything works normally unless I attempt a reboot again
At first I thought perhaps my usb stick was corrupt, so I bought a new one, formatted it, and copied my files there. But putting it in either the usb2 or usb3 slots still causes the same error on reboot (but as I mentioned above, not on re-insertion after reboot).

Then I thought perhaps some other settings were corrupted so I reset to factory defaults, then uploaded my saved config and backed up jffs tar file, but still have the same problem.

The only change to my network (which seemed to coincide with this problem but I fail to see how it could actually be the cause) is that my cable provider (Ziggo in NL) sent out a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem to replace the old 3.0 modem. I plugged it in and rebooted both the cable box and my asus router several times during this process, but no settings on my ASUS needed to change.

Before I strip all my entware and rebuild the router config from scratch (which I really don't want to do), can anyone offer any other advice on how I might fix this? Thanks!

then uploaded my saved config and backed up jffs tar file, but still have the same problem
Here's your problem. A reset and manual config from screenshots should do the trick. I would try saving your JFFS before the reset. Importing the JFFS usually doesn't cause many problems. If the issue persists then erase and rebuild JFFS as well.

I don't see any other way sorry.

Are you using USB 3.0 or 2.0? That can cause WIFI issues. Worth a try to switch to 2.0 if that's the case.
Edit: Sorry, looks like you already tried that.

UGH what a royal pain, but it is fixed finally. @skeal above was correct unfortunately, I had to reset almost everything. I did the following:
  1. Visited every damn page of my config and took screenshots
  2. Went to Administration/RestoreSaveUpload Setting and backed up my JFFS partition
  3. On the same page, I then clicked on Restore button to reset to factory default
  4. Reset up my router with basic settings, then uploaded my JFFS partition file, which contains more data than you might think
  5. Painstakingly went page by page and entered any/all missing data. It took a couple of hours between VPNs, AiMesh nodes (which ALSO needed to be reset), and various settings
But it now works and reboots properly, even with usb drive attached (to usb3 btw)! As an unexpected bonus, my router seems to be using less RAM than before (about 60 MB less).

So you basically reset everything? I thought this was the only way but I’ve been to lazy
Mostly yes. Backing up and restoring JFFS partition did restore some of the settings though, so I would definitely do that before tackling all the settings screens. And resetting all of this did in fact fix my problem, as WiFi now works on boot even with usb stick installed.

UGH!!!! This happened again! And I don't have the patience to go through this whole f-ing setup again, especially not if this will happen over and over. I guess I will wait for the next update and pray that fixes it.

UGH!!!! This happened again! And I don't have the patience to go through this whole f-ing setup again, especially not if this will happen over and over. I guess I will wait for the next update and pray that fixes it.
Possibly importing the saved JFFS may be the problem. Instead of saving the JFFS set aside the contents of dhcp_staticlist and custom_clientlist and custom_usericon from the NVRAM directory under JFFS. Reset to defaults, copy these three files to the NVRAM directory, in DHCP server settings enable manual assignment and reboot. Your device names and reserved IP's are intact. Format your USB drive. Then install all your scripts again. Sorry but the weakest link is the importing of JFFS. For most people with a limited setup this works but your milage may vary. The other NVRAM variables included in saving JFFS are likely screwing this up.