What's new

Noob addon install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

First, before you mess around with stuff, you should have an actual need or requirement for improvement in mind, not just for the sake of adding something. Personally, I don't have a *need* for *any* addon, and I don't run any.

If you do, don't skimp out and go for the lowest possible performance device, then expect it to improve your router performance. Even for something basic as a swap file, you want a (very) good rated and reliable USB device.

After having a look at usb ssd, I found this. Was thinking keep it small but for a little extra can get 64gb?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HPWV6HH/?tag=smallncom-21

And yes ip blocking would be handy more so for torrents when not able via vpn, yet it dont add to the vpn the blacklist. plus once I've tried and tested will get a add blocker to.
And a addon making the router faster! If only, more like each 1 i add the more lag

But what's cheep and recomend?

In my opinion USB stick is the worst possible place to create a swap file. It's usually too slow and generally unreliable for frequent writes. I don't like the USB stick idea at all and can't recommend you brand or model. Keep in mind USB 3.x drive operation may interfere with your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi radio. Also keep in mind most USB drives generate heat and directly connected to the USB port will increase the thermal load on the router.

First, before you mess around with stuff, you should have an actual need or requirement for improvement in mind

Exactly. I don't see the need of Skynet script so far in this conversation.

Well after what you said and this unit runs hot, even more if adding a usb then 2.5ghz probs etc unless I could use my NAS storage.
I will keep with the IPBlocking software based on the pc for now then it's only that device that uses it normaly via vpn, since some laws are changing.
But will look in to the windows SSH as this side intrests me a bit.

What about add blocking, if I go to my fav movie stream site, will it stop the pop ups, I am thinking Diversion?

P.s thanks all, this feed back is much appreciated.

All DNS based ad blockers have the same issues when the ads are served from the streaming server itself. The most efficient and capable ad blocker is uBlock Origin browser extension. I personally don't use network wide ad blockers. My family members are free to chose what they want to see on Internet.

That usb device I linked was not a ssd, so rubbish anyways.
So a add-blocker too would be pointless.

Not that it matter but just so I know if I did install skynet or anything else and never left a usb stick in the device. Would they eat up memory so I would get problems or that depends on the addon. Also what would happen router crash-lockup?

As far as I remember, Skynet won't run, if USB drive is not found.

Most Asus routers can be crashed using standard firmware features. Very large transfer of thousands of files to USB connected storage, for example. In low memory conditions you'll start getting erratic behavior. I've seen lost Wi-Fi and WAN connection in my tests. Routers with 512MB RAM are easier to crash. Some of the firmware features are good enough for advertising purposes. Remember, this is a consumer router. The hardware inside is like 50 bucks. The rest is marketing, development, warranty, logistics, retailers profit, etc. Use the router as router. Use a NAS for storage. If you need something more, this is not the right equipment. Look at it as a swiss knife - many tools available, but a few only are the right ones outside of average home use.

Experiment and find what works for you. Follow @dosborne advice in post #21. Don't install things you don't really need.

Last edited:
There is 1 that would be nice to have but dont think there is.
A VPN Add-On that when VPN is enabled it can redirect traffic from ipv6 to 4 or disable ipv6.
Like my VPN is Ipv4 so I have to disable ipv6 on the router. Else it will detect my real ipv6 address.
Thanks again for all the advice

My isp is ipv6 I then downgrade to ipv4 I think.
Also the vpn is comming on later Merlin releases, I see it's on the newest release not for my device

Unlikely, if you have IPv6 disabled on the router and you still can connect to your ISP.

My provider is uk sky Boardband 60mb down 14mb up, Best I can get in my area. But I'm not sure how all that works. But when ipv6 is disabled, it all still works, So sure your right. Yet read a thread on here somewhere that xboxs can have problems when ipv6 disabled.
Thanks for the help

What about add blocking, if I go to my fav movie stream site, will it stop the pop ups, I am thinking Diversion?
There are other options besides Diversion when it comes to ip/ad blocking. Some use Pi-Hole and run it on a separate device (Docker, Raspberry Pi, etc) so it doesn't take up more the router limited resources. Others use AdGuard Home. But ultimately one should understand that most ad blockers have their limitations on what they can block. Often its a multi layered approach if one decides to go down this road. Browser based extensions like uBlock Origin to network wide Pi-Hole/AdGuard/Diversion to using specialized third party apps on the streaming device that can block or limit ads.

So with a adblock I'd be better with it on the router and browser. Tbh my browser handles most there is only 1-2 that get past. Even trend micro on the router is blocking some of it. I'm not pie friendly ive only read about them. AdGuard and diversion there depend on if I need a swap file.

From what I've seen and read on here, if I want to use any addons then I will really need a swap file, Recommended 2gb.
Yet seeing I have 30% ram free on my router you would of thinked I could of got 1-2 going. And the addons should self clean memory when it gets to x limit bit like a pc, but that depends on the addon and code limitations.

You need that USB stick, if you want to run custom scripts from AMTM. Some scripts need the swap file, others use Entware.

Services running on the router are harder and more time consuming to modify or enable/disable. Local per device services are usually manageable with few mouse clicks. You have to decide what is more convenient for you and for the other users on your network.

Make sure you don't find yourself in this common beginner scenario:

At the moment from what others have said, I will only need them if I have problems, else there is no real need. Yet if any maybe the AdGuard. Got good feed back too.

I've not got the time to read every post, however I would recommend whitelisting your dns of choice on skynet when you first set it up. Not sure if anyone mentioned this already.

At the moment from what others have said, I will only need them if I have problems

In general you don't need any custom scripts. You may not need 3rd party firmware on your router at all. If you don't know well what are you doing, you are looking for problems in trying to solve non-existing issues. What problems do you have with stock Asuswrt, for example? It's a newer code base than the Asuswrt-Merlin fork you are running on your router with additional bug fixes and security patches.

No but
I've not got the time to read every post, however I would recommend whitelisting your dns of choice on skynet when you first set it up. Not sure if anyone mentioned this already.
Adding my dns's I use to a white list is a good idea. But I will not be installing as i dont really need it. Would only really be for my main pc yet I use a ip blocker on the pc already. With rules I use from
My ip list
Then I can import to say most torrent programs. Been using that persons block list for a very very long time on the pc.
Lastest offical firmware has removed parts of the UI. DNS filtering has gone, VPN device selection removed, I did post to asus about it on there forum, but got no reply for 2 weeks. As I did notice the offical FW was newer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!