What's new

(NOOB) Definition of "minimal and manual configuration"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So after doing your reset procedure, in what order would you reintroduce Skynet, Diversion, Pixelserv-TLS, and OpenVPN Server? (Hopefully Skynet first. I'm already nervous going for a week. :eek: )

After doing a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configuring the router to secure it and connect to the ISP, what I do with the available scripts is:

1. Format jffs on next reboot and then proceed to reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes or so, waiting 5 to 10 minutes in between the next reboot.
  2. Enable OpenVPN server and do a quick test with my cell phone from 4G (not WiFi) to see if I reach the network.
  3. Install the FreshJR QOS script (because it doesn't require Entware).
  4. Install the amtm script.
  5. Insert the USB drive I'll use and format it to Ext4 with journalling enabled.
  6. Create a swap file using amtm (not the same as a swap disk). Reboot the router.
  7. Install the disk checker script.
  8. Install Diversion and let it install Entware and pixelserv-tls.
  9. Install Skynet and/or any other script in any order you wish from here.
  10. Reboot the router and wait at least 5 minutes for the router to be fully empowered. :)

I wouldn't worry about being too nervous for a few more minutes, all of the above can be done in short order.

With each step above make sure you are testing the OpenVPN Server and taking good notes of the options you're enabling in each script.

But the order above is what I stick to when I'm doing this.

That's great... but your earlier post suggested waiting a week between each change to check for stability... So I'm up to ~7-8 weeks between now and Skynet?
Also. "disk checker script?"
Also... separate issue that has been annoying me... anytime I reboot, seems like I have to go into the OpenVPN server and turn it off and back on, or else it doesn't work. That was the case with the 3100 and now with this 3200... Probably a separate thread for that one. :p

Thanks bro.

That's great... but your earlier post suggested waiting a week between each change to check for stability... So I'm up to ~7-8 weeks between now and Skynet?
Also... separate issue that has been annoying me... anytime I reboot, seems like I have to go into the OpenVPN server and turn it off and back on, or else it doesn't work. That was the case with the 3100 and now with this 3200... Probably a separate thread for that one. :p

Thanks bro.

How long did you give the OpenVPN server after rebooting before turning it off and on? With one of my OpenVPN servers I have seen the sort of behaviour you mentioned, I don’t think it’s every time, but I found if I leave it and come back later, it’s running and has no further problems. Maybe 15 mins maybe half an hour, not sure. I’d be interested to know if that works for you. (Nothing out of the ordinary about that OpenVPN setup is there? I think it’s only my port 443 server that does it, but, because my reboots are so few, I’m not sure.)

Thanks bro.

Are you talking about my 'earlier post' from 2015? I don't think you read that correctly. :)

You must be doing something different (wrong?) than the norm if the same issue is following you from a previous router?

I and many others have been using amtm, Diversion, Skynet and the other scripts that I at least consider it a 'known/good' state. You don't need to verify for too long up to that point. Anything you change past defaults though, you're in exploratory mode. :)

Are you talking about my 'earlier post' from 2015? I don't think you read that correctly. :)

You must be doing something different (wrong?) than the norm if the same issue is following you from a previous router?

I and many others have been using amtm, Diversion, Skynet and the other scripts that I at least consider it a 'known/good' state. You don't need to verify for too long up to that point. Anything you change past defaults though, you're in exploratory mode. :)

When JaimeZX says:

That's great... but your earlier post suggested waiting a week between each change to check for stability... So I'm up to ~7-8 weeks between now and Skynet

I think it’s a misinterpretation of your:

“.......and if things are stable at this point for an extended period (at least a week), other available router options may be introduced one at a time and added to as (and if) they prove stable.”

After doing a full reset to factory defaults and then minimally and manually configuring the router to secure it and connect to the ISP, what I do with the available scripts is:

1. Format jffs on next reboot and then proceed to reboot the router 3 times in the next 15 minutes or so, waiting 5 to 10 minutes in between the next reboot.
  2. Enable OpenVPN server and do a quick test with my cell phone from 4G (not WiFi) to see if I reach the network.
  3. Install the FreshJR QOS script (because it doesn't require Entware).
  4. Install the amtm script.
  5. Insert the USB drive I'll use and format it to Ext4 with journalling enabled.
  6. Create a swap file using amtm (not the same as a swap disk). Reboot the router.
  7. Install the disk checker script.
  8. Install Diversion and let it install Entware and pixelserv-tls.
  9. Install Skynet and/or any other script in any order you wish from here.
  10. Reboot the router and wait at least 5 minutes for the router to be fully empowered. :)

I wouldn't worry about being too nervous for a few more minutes, all of the above can be done in short order.

With each step above make sure you are testing the OpenVPN Server and taking good notes of the options you're enabling in each script.

But the order above is what I stick to when I'm doing this.

@L&LD,

I was under the impression that Diversion installation recommended disk formatting to ext2. Have these recommendations changed recently or is this your preference? I have always used ext2 but been thinking lately about trying ext4 instead. Have you come across any performance issues with this format?

Also, I am not sure if it is worth mentioning but for USB flashdrives (2.0 and 3.0) no matter what port they are plugged in, their mode needs to be changed to 2.0 in GUI as the 3.0 mode still does not work as well as expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“.......and if things are stable at this point for an extended period (at least a week), other available router options may be introduced one at a time and added to as (and if) they prove stable.”
Yes, this is how I interpreted it. Wait a week between changes. I would love to only wait a week before bringing back all of my scripts. :D
@L&LD,I was under the impression that Diversion installation recommended disk formatting to ext2. Have these recommendations changed recently or is this your preference? I have always used ext2 but been thinking lately about trying ext4 instead. Have you come across any performance issues with this format?
A second for this question. Or, if ext4, why "journaling on?" Doesn't that run through the drive life much faster?

Marin and JaimeZX,

The data I looked at and the (limited) testing I have done specifically on a USB drive for amtm + scripts shows a very negligible impact on performance. Similarly, running through the life of the USB nand is not a concern for me, not at $20 or so a pop. :)

I'll repeat again that to me at least, amtm + scripts are a 'known/good' point along with OpenVPN configurations that I use. I don't use an actual VPN service, to be clear.

Keep in mind that you can also accelerate your testing at any stage to attempt to mimic a 'weeks' worth of testing in a few hours if you're so inclined. ;)

So @L&LD, what about setting up the minimal configuration, using the migrate version of the backup and restore script, and posting that to be used to set alll your recommended default provisons?

So @L&LD, what about setting up the minimal configuration, using the migrate version of the backup and restore script, and posting that to be used to set alll your recommended default provisons?

That may or may not work depending on what has changed in the firmware under the hood.

Setting up a router with a full and proper M&M Config (except for the optimum control channels) is at most a 20 to 30-minute task. Including all the reboots required to make sure the
NVRAM and
jffs have been fully erased and formatted, respectively.

What you're suggesting would save a possible 5 minutes from the above with all the risks of not having done a full and proper M&M Config at all.

The way firmware works currently, a brand new router with factory shipped firmware and no previous owner is still a prime candidate for a full M&M Config. Do you know how many firmware flashes they did at the factory with different firmware before you got the unit?

More important, do you value your time so little that you would rather skip this with a new router and risk having to do the set up twice, including a full M&M Config in between, when, not if, a glitch or bug shows up?

The bigger the network setup, the more features used on the router and the more advanced the network features used in an installation, the more reason to do this correctly from the start.

A 'short cut' isn't called the 'right way' for a reason. ;)

RMerlin said it first and still says it best: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Why do I sometime need to do a factory default reset?
In addition to those user-entered settings, there's all those system level settings I previously mentioned. Sometimes, the manufacturer will need to change some of those low-level settings, either to resolve an issue, or to adapt to a newer wireless driver that they started using.

If you fail to do a factory default reset, then your router will still have the old values, and it will keep using them. That can lead to performance issues (especially in changes related to the wireless driver), or flat out odd behaviour (if one of the settings no longer works the same way as before).

Can I just restore my saved settings after I do a factory default reset?
No. The idea behind a factory default reset is to have your router start using the NEW default values. If you restore your saved settings, you will overwrite those new values with the old ones, and you are back to square one.

This is similar to having a PC with a corrupted Windows installation. If you reformat, and immediately after you restore a Ghost/TrueImage/Clonezilla backup on top of the reformatted Windows, you are back to where you were before you did all that work.

Factory default reset: before, or after flashing?
Since the goal is to use the NEW default values that are included in the NEW firmware, the factory default reset must be done while the NEW firmware is already flashed. Doing so before flashing will leave you running the OLD default values.

Step-by-step instructions from L&LD on preparing the USB drive for AMTM, supplementing his advice further back in this topic, can be found here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/page-123#post-479568

Any problems with usb drive not mounting:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...erlin-terminal-menu.42415/page-38#post-480100

EDIT: L&LD’s step-by-step guide to installing AMTM, including the preparation of the USB drive can be found here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/

Last edited:
It means exactly what it says. Nothing more, nothing less. Only enable options that you need. And disable the options you don't need.

This is what I consider a base line.
After new firmware loaded.
  • Use new ssid's for all bands and radio's (most likely easier to do after the wizard completes for dual 5GHz band radio's capable routers). You can reuse the old passwords though.

I just run into this good thread while doing some research before updating firmware on my RT-AC68U.
The above item in bold has called my attention.

Why is it suggested to use new SSIDs? Having to re-enter network credentials in one or two dozen devices can be a real pain. I have done it some times in the past, but not every time I upgraded firmware or even router... only when I thought there was a reason for it.

Am I missing something ?

I just run into this good thread while doing some research before updating firmware on my RT-AC68U.

Why is it suggested to use new SSIDs? Having to re-enter network credentials in one or two dozen devices can be a real pain. I have done it some times in the past, but not every time I upgraded firmware or even router... only when I thought there was a reason for it.

Am I missing something ?
I wonder the exact same thing.
If I had i.e. "SS24" as old SSID,
when i reset to default of course it changes to asus default,
but why can i not use "SS24" again?
Doent the router totally "forget" old SSIDs at a reset or why should it mess thing up?

Reconnecting all pheripheral devices to a new SSID is a lot of work if You have many devices (phones are easy, some other devices time consuming)

Great guide, a few settings that I had different. Here hoping that it will solve my media bridge disconnects.

Am I missing something ?
I wonder the exact same thing.
If I had i.e. "SS24" as old SSID,
when i reset to default of course it changes to asus default,
but why can i not use "SS24" again?
Doent the router totally "forget" old SSIDs at a reset or why should it mess thing up?

Reconnecting all pheripheral devices to a new SSID is a lot of work if You have many devices (phones are easy, some other devices time consuming)

Great guide, a few settings that I had different. Here hoping that it will solve my media bridge disconnects.

If you use an 'old' SSID, you may never see any issues. When your router otherwise seems to work as much as you can check the usual suspects, then using a new SSID with 8 characters and without any spaces, special characters, punctuation or smiley faces is almost the equivalent of 'resetting network settings' on all your devices and doing a reboot on them too.

The reason this works is that the router and the client device will negotiate what microcode to enable for the connection. If/when you upgrade/update the router to a newer firmware and/or different defaults as will happen with newer firmware, the client devices continue to use the old settings which the newly setup router may not support anymore, or worse, enable other settings than expected.

For any customer that I set up a router for, I make sure to do this so that I don't need to come back for random glitches related to non-sanitized network setup that may only save a few minutes of actual time vs. the alternative which can easily add up to hours or more.