1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

(NOOB) Definition of "minimal and manual configuration"

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by ImaStinker, Sep 16, 2015.

1. ImaStinker

ImaStinker Occasional Visitor

I seen this advice repeated over and over.
    However, even after searching, I can't find any specifics as to what "minimal and manual configuration" means.

The closest I've found is: "....just enough customization to connect to your ISP and secure the router's gui and wireless networks you have enabled."

Can anybody provide a specific list of settings that 'shouldn't be missed' in a minimal configuration?

Thanks

2. AdvHomeServer

AdvHomeServer Senior Member

In no particular order a) plug it in b) turn it on c) read the quick start page

hope that helps.

3. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

It means exactly what it says. Nothing more, nothing less. Only enable options that you need. And disable the options you don't need.

This is what I consider a base line.

Before flashing new firmware.
    • Make a backup cfg file and label it with the firmware version currently running on the router. (I save this with the associated trx firmware file in a safe place, along with the next item, if needed).
    • Save any custom settings to the jffs partition in a safe place.
    • Remove all USB devices from the router.
    • Reboot via the gui and let it settle for 5 minutes after it comes up again.

Flash new (or existing) firmware.
    • Flash new firmware (and in some cases, re-flash the existing firmware if any random, unexplained glitches are still causing issues).
    • Reset to factory defaults via the gui.
    • After the router has rebooted (point above), do a hard reboot (pull the power plug), wait a couple of minutes and then power it up again.

After new firmware loaded.
    • Use the wizard to connect to your ISP.
    • Use new ssid's for all bands and radio's (most likely easier to do after the wizard completes for dual 5GHz band radio's capable routers). You can reuse the old passwords though.
    • Disable media server.
    • Disable network share.
    • Disable NFSD.
    • Disable FTP.
    • Change device name (if needed), set Force as Master Browser and indicate the Work Group name (these steps are optional for some home users).
    • Disable WPS.
    • Disable WDS.
    • Uncheck Xbox and B/G protection (Both bands).
    • Wireless Mode: Auto (default).
    • Control Channel: set manually after testing each channel.
    • Preamble Type: Short.
    • Spanning Tree Protocol: Disabled.
    • IPv6: Disabled.
    • Enable DoS protection: Disabled.
    • Set time zone to your area.
    • Format JFFS partition at next boot: Yes.

• Any other options not specified above is left at it's default setting following the above reset to factory defaults above.

At this point, reboot the router (via gui) twice, waiting 5 minutes before the second reboot (this allows the JFFS partition to be formatted and then available).

Now, if needed, Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs. Reboot and wait 5 minutes after the router comes up.

This is where I would create another cfg backup and name it with the firmware version just installed. Save this as the 'base default' (but remember that if you use it to use new ssid's and to format the JFFS partition again too).

At this point I will test different channels for each band (and /or radio) to find the best for that specific environment.

After finding the best channel and if things are stable at this point for an extended period (at least a week), other available router options may be introduced one at a time and added to as (and if) they prove stable.

4. ImaStinker

ImaStinker Occasional Visitor

Thank you. That's extremely helpful.

L&LD likes this.
  5. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Nice writeup - perhaps a new post/thread and sticky it, along with making it a bit more generic (e.g. remove some of the Asus specific items) - the one thing I would add is that initial config and reflash to current firmware should be on ethernet if at all possible.

6. Puppa

Puppa Senior Member

These settings won't work for everyone. I have some older game devices and the following settings are necessary to use them and keep a performant network:
    -Long preamble
    -b/g protection
    For some newer devices such as Xbox One to get reliable open connection, I also require:
    -IPV6

Other than those few exceptions, this is exactly what I do. Great guide!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mark76 likes this.
  7. BEF33

BEF33 Occasional Visitor

Hello,
    In the guide of L&LD, I can't find for do this "Uncheck Xbox and B/G protection (Both bands)."
    My version of Merlin is 384.9. Perhaps it desappears in this version?
    Thanks for help if possible.

8. Marin

Marin Very Senior Member

You can no longer remove that check on this version - only the Xbox one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Marin

Marin Very Senior Member

You should be able to see these functions under the Wireless tab. Then once you are there you can go to General tab.

10. martinr

martinr Very Senior Member

I can’t find it either, but I clearly remember seeing it. Perhaps @L&LD can point you to where the setting is or can remove reference to it in his guide if it is no longer listed in the gui?

Looks like you’ve gone though his guide with a fine toothcomb, and it’s a testament to the quality of the guide if that’s the only thing you’ve spotted - if indeed the reference is no longer valid. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s tucked away in some corner of the gui

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  11. BEF33

BEF33 Occasional Visitor

ok ...I'm continuing to look through... thanks

12. Klueless

Klueless Very Senior Member

Things change.

<This link> shows an older Asus. Halfway down is the B/G check box.

<And this link> shows a newer Asus. The check box is gone. Instead the pop down under wireless mode now contains "N only".

I'm not quite sure why the change. I'm guessing it's just a different way of saying either accommodate B/G or ignore B/G?

L&LD and martinr like this.
  13. martinr

Thanks to Marin and klueless (not so clueless), fourth line down on the Wireless General page, Wireless Mode, at the end of that line it says “Optimized for XBox” and “b/g protection”.

14. BEF33

BEF33 Occasional Visitor

Ok thanks everyone...

L&LD and martinr like this.
  15. SwampKracker

SwampKracker Regular Contributor

Nice write up, L&LD. If only there was a single button to click that would do all of these steps...

skeal and L&LD like this.
  16. consorts

consorts Regular Contributor

17. Marin

Marin Very Senior Member

DOS protection is turned off by default as it may interfere with throttling of certain packets. Some users have reported different ping times too, although others have not. For me having it on or off has not made any difference in ping times so I left it on.

L&LD likes this.
  18. consorts

consorts Regular Contributor

maybe one of the geniuses here could write an app so a user could edit a text file with all his gui entries, and the app would apply them and reboot the router with them active. if such an app existed, i'd never need do another dirty firmware upgrade again. i'd do an upgrade from factory, enable ssh to access the app - and poof; instant restore of all my gui manual entries. if only admin,restore,router settings, upload wasn't such a failure after a firmware upgrade, we wouldn't even have this issue at all.

SwampKracker likes this.
  19. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Regular Contributor

So after doing your reset procedure, in what order would you reintroduce Skynet, Diversion, Pixelserv-TLS, and OpenVPN Server? (Hopefully Skynet first. I'm already nervous going for a week. :eek: )

20. martinr

Like standing stark naked for a week in the concourse of Grand Central Station.

JaimeZX likes this.