What's new

noob question: can i use a switch as primary router, and....?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

azuza

Occasional Visitor
Noob question: Can I use a switch flashed with Merlin firmware and use it as a primary router (ie, a router without antennae)?

Such that all devices on a 3rd party mesh get their internet connection that goes through an Asus switch that itself is connected to the modem.

You can NOT load Merlin firmware on to an arbitrary switch or router. It will only work on supported ASUS routers, specifically those mentioned in the Merlin website.

Merlin firmware only runs on specific Asus routers. It doesn't run on switches.
Thanks. I meant on an Asus switch.

But the fact is, Merlin works on routers only, and no other Asus products.

Thanks for the swift response.

Now I just have to figure out my game plan for a Merlin-Asus based setup.

you can always turn the radios off. Then you have only the LAN/WAN ports and the routing function.

Understand. Since OP was wanting router functionality and to run Merlin, it would work though, at least if using the reliable 4 port models.

Noob question: Can I use a switch flashed with Merlin firmware and use it as a primary router (ie, a router without antennae)?

Such that all devices on a 3rd party mesh get their internet connection that goes through an Asus switch that itself is connected to the modem.
Yes you can.
Exchange the router shell to the switch shell.

If I remember correctly, 20+ years ago routers were not always known for being wireless or having antennae.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!