What's new

Noob trying to set up Merlin ASUS VPN with iPhone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

make sure you are not connected to your wi-fi and are using the internet from your phone to connect to the VPN and also
that PPTP Passthrough is enabled.

Hi Yorgi, I have tried both of your suggestions with no luck in afraid.

Is this bit correct? I don't understand what the IP address range is for.

bc7d230f95e01718f19d6a302244c1c7.jpg

Last edited:
I'll do that now thanks.

I found 2 suggestion while googling. One was to make the DNS static which I have, I used Googles 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

And to open this port but there is no suggestion where to direct it too. Also the idea is to close my ports tom access all my IP cams. Not to open more.

You are getting some kind of Firewall problem.
try going to the local cafe and get on their wi fi and try to connect to your VPN server.
I would also go on command prompt and ping the VPN address. see if its working or not.
go to your windows search and type cmd then type ping 151.xxx.xx.x or whatever the IP is that your VPN is on and see if you get a reply from the VPN server.
Disable your Wireless on your phone if you are trying it at home with your router.
Try using another computer to connect to the VPN server instead of your phone.
I don't think you have to open a port for it to work.

btw your topic says merlin firmware but you are using stock Asus firmware.
I never tried it with stock firmware.

My firm ware says powered by Merlin 380.57.

It's 100% Merlin as I need option 61 to connect to my ISP. The stock firmware does not allow me to connect and my ISP forbids any 3rd party router use.

I had to extract my username and password using Wireshark.

I'm at work at the moment, accessing my router through a DDNS and my work laptop will not connect either.

Bad times.

sorry my bad. was looking at wrong window.
the ip address you are connecting to is your modems ip
try pinging that ip
if you get no reply then something has changed because its pretty straight forward

i just tested the feature with my router and all i did was create username and pass and i was able to connect to my vpn server
didn't need to open any ports

Last edited:
I enabled 'Enable Ping' and ran it again.

Makes no semse to me....

Oh, thanks for your time!!!

Check the router log for any error message.

The general log might as well be in Chinese so i presume it will say 'error'?

FYI I can ping my self from the router...

I don't know what to tell you. If you can ping that IP and your have made sure that PPTP in NAT passthrough is enabled
it should work. The VPN server uses your WAN IP address. if you are able to ping that address from your work then you should be able to connect.
I tried it on my Android phone and my tablet and it was real easy to connect.
I don't know what else I can tell you because its pretty straight forward.
When you ping your router from the outside you should not be getting any lost packets.
here is what a proper ping to your IP address should look like.
I would disable the VPN server and try a ping to the router and see if you get 100%
then move on. it doesn't look right.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 441
Well, I have the VPN working on my synology NAS so it seems like a problem with the router.

Im going to restore it back to factory and flash it again with Merlin.

See what happens...

And it's broke again....
When you flash the router you need to do a few things to make sure you did it right.
First after successfully flashing the router you need to do a factory reset, reboot the router
when it reboots then turn the power off manually and let it sit for a few minutes.
I leave the power on and pull the power supply out, this makes sure the capacitors discharge
then reboot the router and you should be ready to go.
If you had issues from previous flash do not use a config file you made from the troubled firmware.