What's new

NordVPN client does not connect automatically after reboot on ASUS RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see this message in your log file:
Code:
May  5 13:05:09 wanduck: WARNING - router is in manufacturing mode, and can behave unexpectedly (did you mess with your bootloader?)
So the obvious question is have you modified the bootloader? Is the router a genuine RT-AC68U or a modified TMobile device?

This unit was given to me from the US, and already have the ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware. I checked the front and there's both ASUS and T-Mobile name, which means it's a modified device.

I'll try to search and buy a second-hand genuine RT-AC68U and start all over again, as this changed bootloader could cause this issue.

Thanks for finding the problem, and thanks also to everybody else for pitching in.

Update: Fixed the problem by removing Diversion, and restored the router's settings and jffs partition from the backup made before Diversion installation.

The VPN client service state is now always "ON" after every reboot.

This unit was given to me from the US, and already have the ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware. I checked the front and there's both ASUS and T-Mobile name, which means it's a modified device.
Update: Fixed the problem by removing Diversion, and restored the router's settings and jffs partition from the backup made before Diversion installation.

The VPN client service state is now always "ON" after every reboot.
Is still illegal device and NOT supported here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...d-forks-on-non-asus-devices-is-illegal.44636/

VPN wont start if time is not set before VPN trying to start.

Make sure your router can see internet when after rebooting.

Is it necessary for the time to merely be set, or does it need to be synced with a VPN provider's servers?

If, like the OP, a VPN user has a killswitch set up, wouldn't that prevent the router from communicating with a time server before the router connects to the VPN server?

Is it necessary for the time to merely be set, or does it need to be synced with a VPN providers servers?
It needs to be set correctly to the "real world's" time. It doesn't have to be that accurate. Anything within about 5 minutes should be more than good enough.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!