What's new

NordVPN Firestick problems on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R-Lahey

New Around Here
Hello I just purchased an RT-AC68U router and flashed it with the latest Asuswrt-Merlin.

All seems to work well hooked up to the new router except NordVPN on my Amazon Firestick.

When hooked up to my old Hitron router I had no problem access Netflix with my NordVPN switched on. Since switching to the Asus router while i can still log on to Netflix I noticed i can't access anywhere near as many titles. It's as if Netflix can't tell where I am so won't allow me to access any region-locked titles.

This problem is only unique to my Firestick. Using NordVPN on my mobile and accessing Netflix is not a problem at all and I have access to all the titles using that method.

I'm a beginner when it comes to Merlin so those who have an idea what's wrong please explain it to me in laymans terms so I can understand what I need to do.

Thanks so much in advance for any help. I thought leaving my old Hitron was a great idea but I'm now facing less functionality.

Hello I just purchased an RT-AC68U router and flashed it with the latest Asuswrt-Merlin.

All seems to work well hooked up to the new router except NordVPN on my Amazon Firestick.

When hooked up to my old Hitron router I had no problem access Netflix with my NordVPN switched on. Since switching to the Asus router while i can still log on to Netflix I noticed i can't access anywhere near as many titles. It's as if Netflix can't tell where I am so won't allow me to access any region-locked titles.

This problem is only unique to my Firestick. Using NordVPN on my mobile and accessing Netflix is not a problem at all and I have access to all the titles using that method.

I'm a beginner when it comes to Merlin so those who have an idea what's wrong please explain it to me in laymans terms so I can understand what I need to do.

Thanks so much in advance for any help. I thought leaving my old Hitron was a great idea but I'm now facing less functionality.
Just to be clear...

You're using the NordVPN feature/app on your Firestick and just using the router w/o its VPN capability (i.e. not using the router as a VPN client)?

If so, perhaps it's the default choice of NordVPN server(s) that have been selected. I know since I have NordVPN, that not all NordVPN servers will allow Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc to work.

Just to be clear...

You're using the NordVPN feature/app on your Firestick and just using the router w/o its VPN capability (i.e. not using the router as a VPN client)?

If so, perhaps it's the default choice of NordVPN server(s) that have been selected. I know since I have NordVPN, that not all NordVPN servers will allow Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc to work.
Correct. I have the NordVPN app installed on my Firestick and am not using NordVPN on my router.

You're correct that some Nord servers won't work. The Firestick with NordVPN accessing Netflix works fine on my old Hitron router but not the new Asus one. Using NordVPN on my mobile also works fine to access Netflix on the Asus router so the problem is just with the Firestick and Asus.

Correct. I have the NordVPN app installed on my Firestick and am not using NordVPN on my router.

You're correct that some Nord servers won't work. The Firestick with NordVPN accessing Netflix works fine on my old Hitron router but not the new Asus one. Using NordVPN on my mobile also works fine to access Netflix on the Asus router so the problem is just with the Firestick and Asus.
Check the Enable DNS-based Filtering setting. (LAN->DNS Filter tab). The setting forces all clients to use the DNS of the router. If it is on, it may be preventing the NordVPN app from using Nord DNS. From reports on the forum, it appears that Nord requires that you use their DNS servers. It acts as a proxy to get around VPN block. Just a wild butt guess but good to rule it out.

Turn your phone into a WIFI hot spot and test to see if you still have the issue. This test will pinpoint where the issue may be.

Since you are using the NordVPN app on your FireStick, make sure to go into Settings and turn off CyberSec, then set Custom DNS to 103.86.96.100.

Also, do what Xentrk suggested.

I've been in places with Wifi only access for the past month, so I haven't been able to plug in my router to use it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!