What's new

Not Directly Related, Which AX Router Would (Do) You Have for Use w/Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GHammer

Very Senior Member
I'm thinking of moving my 86U to a different role and would like to get an AX router compatible with Merlin's work.

Reading this forum alone, I'd hesitate to get any of them.

But, not many people post about excellent results anywhere, so the question is what AX modem compatible with this firmware would you recommend and why?

Thanks for any tips.

what AX modem compatible with this firmware would you recommend and why?
I have no issues with my AX88U and Merlin FW.

There isn't really a correlation between the two items.

The question really is do you need AX support, yes or no?

The second question is why would you not run Merlin fw (on any appropriate router)? In rare cases, Asus FW has a new fix that hasn't been incorporated into a Merlin FW release, but in general Merlin FW enhances and has more flexibility than Asus stock FW.

Running bleeding edge FW, whether it is stock or Merlin, always introduces potential for some feature not working 100%, but I put more trust in the quality control testing done here over Asus. Personally usually run 1 release behind on my main production router for at least a few months just to let the dust settle, but it often depends on how fast new releases come out and if anything I personally care about is fixed or updated.

I'm running an RT-AX88U with the latest Alpha form Merlin runs amazingly well no major issues.

I'm thinking of moving my 86U to a different role and would like to get an AX router compatible with Merlin's work.

Reading this forum alone, I'd hesitate to get any of them.

But, not many people post about excellent results anywhere, so the question is what AX modem compatible with this firmware would you recommend and why?

Thanks for any tips.
AX88U is awesome. Basically all stable versions has been great for me. Just some minor issues with the alpha... But it's alpha so [emoji12] But last time I used stock with my configuration it behaved basically the same with speed over wifi. So the worst thing Merlin does here is to behave like stock.
Sometimes Merlin even holds back and refuses to merge with an updated stock version since THAT is buggy... So sometimes Merlin protects you from crappy stock firmware [emoji6]

RT-AX88U - just one of the latest Merlin firmwares and nothing else -

Thanks to all, I am off to order an AX88U

I have no issues with my AX88U and Merlin FW.

There isn't really a correlation between the two items.

For me there is. I won't run an ASUS without Merlin's firmware. I have a small, but vital, config that can't be done with stock.

The question really is do you need AX support, yes or no?

It seems foolish to replace a router and not go with the latest tech.
To answer your question though, not at all, one AX capable device in the house. However, during the router's lifetime that will change.

BTW- Not talking about why Merlin firmware.

Asking for AX router recommendations from those who have such a router using Merlin's firmware.

I'm running a AX88 with a AX58 as AIMesh-node. The 88 runs Merlin, the 58 stock. My clients with Intel AX200's fly!
I must say that the 58 seems to have the perfect price-performance ratio but a 88 is incredibly performant. It's all up to acceptable expense...
My better half is very considerate.

I sent my RT-AC86U back and bought another RT-AX88U + two Samsung 3.1-compatible flash drives as it was recommended to me that the slower flash drives I was previously using may have been contributing to the cause of the high CPU problems I was having with both the 86U and the 88AX routers once scripts had been installed. All seems fine now. I've wall-mounted the router as well because it was taking up too much space on my desk.

Attachments

• Screenshot - 09_03_2020 , 15_24_59.png
    Screenshot - 09_03_2020 , 15_24_59.png
    23 KB · Views: 129
  • imgIMG_1005.jpg
    imgIMG_1005.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 153
I have an RT-AX88U as primary and 2 RT-AC86Us for APs. I can change them at some point to AiMesh with wired backhaul. I could take 1 or both of the 86Us and make them Routers to manage traffic differently.

Nice to have options.

I have not had the experience of some with WiFi issues on 384.15. Mine just works.

I'm running a AX88 with a AX58 as AIMesh-node. The 88 runs Merlin, the 58 stock. My clients with Intel AX200's fly!
I must say that the 58 seems to have the perfect price-performance ratio but a 88 is incredibly performant. It's all up to acceptable expense...
My better half is very considerate.

I'm using the exact same setup configured the same way right now. I agree with the you on the 58U, easily the best router out there for that price, can't touch it for the performance vs. cost.

I'm using the exact same setup configured the same way right now. I agree with the you on the 58U, easily the best router out there for that price, can't touch it for the performance vs. cost.

I may have to look at a 58U as well.

I may have to look at a 58U as well.
You should. So far I'm much more pleased with the RT-AX58U than with my previously owned RT-AC86U which gave me quite a lot of stability headaches. Probably an early monday morning example. :)

Good choice on the AX88U.

Also remember the 58U doesn't use the Same Cortex A53 processor, merlin has hit about 100mbps with his.

The AX88U and 86U will hit 200+ Mbps for VPN because of AES acceleration in their cores.

If VPN speed is important to you

That look like a good mounting option for me as well.

Thanks for the idea.
You're welcome. If you do decide to wall mount the router, you will need screws of a specific size. I tried ordinary countersunk head screws but I couldn't get them to slide into the holes on the back of the router, but I have a habit of keeping unused screws supplied with products, just in case I need them for something else later and this has proved to be the case twice in the last week; once for a multi-way mains lead extension and then for my new RT-AX88U. I'll try and upload a photograph of the type I used in case that would be helpful to you.

Update: Here you go:
imgIMG_1007.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!