What's new

Not getting full speed with Asus RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have not a done a factory reset ever. Is that the next step?
Agree with the advice given here about reset but a couple of things first,

First, are you using the Asus App on your phone? Wondering about that power level and if you possibly did something by mistake. I'd get rid of the app on the phone and only work from the windows pc and web browser.
Lets rule that out first, login to the gui from the web browser, go to your wifi settings, then the professional tab. In the drop down pick the 5.0 band then scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and check the power level. I'd crank it all the way up for these purposes. APPLY, then do the same with 2.4. IF you made any changes do a quick reboot and check the clients in the wifi network map, view list and see if they changed to 866 (not 433).

If the power levels were fine and you didn't change anything, then I would reset the router back to factory...
Easy way first is gui reset.
- First make sure you have any ISP settings you may need.
- Administration, Restore/Save/Upload, Factory Default (CHECK initialize all settings), Then click restore button. When that finishes it will come up to the setup wizard. Your laptop may or may not have a wifi connection and you may need to connect to the default Asus wifi to begin; look for a network "Asus xxxxx" I've seen Asus2.4 and Asus90.

Nuke option.
-https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000925/

With either reset option, I'd use the factory defaults from the start. Check the network list and see if they show 866 and two streams. If you only did the gui reset and it still shows 433 go ahead and do the nuke option. If it still shows 433 after that, I think it's time to upgrade to a new router.

Let us know...good luck.

Where in the GUI would find this?

Wireless, Professional:

1687426016330.png

At the bottom of the page, change it to Performance for both bands:

1687426130459.png

@IsaiahHanson, what are your actual ISP speeds? What speeds are you actually achieving?

OP last here today around lunchtime EST, didn’t update the thread. I’m outta this one.

@IsaiahHanson, what are your actual ISP speeds? What speeds are you actually achieving?

I pay for 500 megabits download and only achieve 250 to 300 megabits right now. going to attempt the router resets

Well, doing the Restore option @ATLga suggested, did the trick. Do I know what setting was causing the issue? Nope, but now I'm achieving the speeds I am paying.
I apologize for the delay on getting to this, but I am so happy to have this working health. Thank you all for your help!!

Well, doing the Restore option @ATLga suggested, did the trick. Do I know what setting was causing the issue? Nope, but now I'm achieving the speeds I am paying.
I apologize for the delay on getting to this, but I am so happy to have this working health. Thank you all for your help!!

Heh, what am I chopped liver?

You we're the OG poster for that ;) Kudos to my man

Just bustin' your chops. Yes as you've found you should be able to have dozens of devices at 833 (of course they will start to have less performance the more of them you have sharing the band, but nothing that should restrict the connection speed itself).