What's new

Not getting full speed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fukar

New Around Here
Hey guys!

I have just bought an Asus RT-N66U, but I have a huge problem with it. I'm getting 220mbps instead of 1gbps. The weird thing is if I don't use the said router and I just use the modem, I get around 800 to 900 mbps. The "modem" is: ZTE zxhn h298n.

My current setup: ISP's cable goes into the modem's WAN port, then LAN1 from the modem goes into the Asus router's WAN port, and lastly my computer is connected to the router's LAN1 port. This setup gets me 220mbps.

The router-less setup: ISP's cable goes into modem's WAN port then my PC goes into LAN1 of the modem. This gets me 800-900mbps.
(Every single cable is Cat5e, and none of them should be damaged.)

I have tried different firmwares, those doesnt seem to do much.
Current firmware on the asus router: Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.45_0

Any help, tip would be appreciated! :)

Make sure you don't have hardware acceleration disabled.

Turning on QoS will turn it off, for example.

Look under the Tools, Network settings for this indicator.

Thanks for the tip!

HW acceleration: Enabled
Sadly it was already enabled, so I still don't have any clue.

I assume that you know that you have set your modem/router and ASUS in a double NATed configuration. If it isn't done correctly the hardware fights and your speed can be impacted.

Try connecting your ASUS from a LAN port on the modem/router to a LAN port on the ASUS. Put the ASUS in the AP mode. Then connect your PC to LAN port 2 and see what your speeds are.

If the speed approximates what you were getting connected directly to the Modem/router then your problem is that you probably don't have your hardware set up correctly for a double NAT situation.

Yeah I have just plugged it in like you said, and the speeds are much better, but I don't want to have it set to AP mode. :/

Is there any other way to keep the functionality and the speed at the same time?

Aside from some Ethernet port incompatibility preventing proper speed/duplex port autoconfiguration, there isn't anything to screw up in a double-NAT setup.

The RT-N66U is capable of a bit over 700 Mbps up and downlink so it's not going to give you a full Gigabit. But is should do better than 200 Mbps.

As OP suggested, make sure QoS is off.

One thing you can try to see if it's an port autoconfiguration problem is put a Gigabit switch between the modem output and RT-N66U WAN.

Yeah I have just plugged it in like you said, and the speeds are much better, but I don't want to have it set to AP mode. :/

Is there any other way to keep the functionality and the speed at the same time?

Either put the modem/router in the bridge mode and allow the ASUS to be the only router in your network or set the double NAT to work correctly which means:

1. Put the modem/router's IP to 192.168.1.1 and its DHCP range to say 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.149.

2. Assign the ASUS a WAN IP outside the modem/routers automatic range. If you use step one's range 192.168.1.2 would work. Set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 if that is the LAN IP of your modem/router.

3. Give the ASUS a LAN IP in a different subnet. 192.168.2.1 and set its DHCP range to say 192.168.2.100 - 192.168.2.149.

Cable as you originally had it, (LAN - WAN ) reboot all your hardware including attached PCs so they all get new IPs on the correct subnet.

You should be good to go.

Hey guys!

Sorry for bumping, but I still have issues with speed not being consistent. The speed of my internet drops down to 220mbps and stays like that until I reset the devices and re-apply the config that CaptainSTX posted.

Can someone tell my why? And are there any other way of getting around having 2 routers besides double NAT and bridge mode?

RT-N66U has better specs than my RT-N56U and it can do full stable gigabit, so RT-N66U should have no problem with such a speed

Well in my case (when it was working as intended) the most it got was around 700 mbps. Which is more than I will ever use, but 220 is not enough sadly...

Those modems/routers provided by the ISP are typically "junk". If possible, buy your own aftermarket modem, that is strictly a modem. This is so you don't have to worry about double NAT. I guarantee that's the source of your problem.

I've configure a number of those routers provided by the ISP, and there is typically no real way to bridge them. This takes all the fun out of the real potential you would be able to do with the ASUS.

Hey guys!

I have just bought an Asus RT-N66U, but I have a huge problem with it. I'm getting 220mbps instead of 1gbps. The weird thing is if I don't use the said router and I just use the modem, I get around 800 to 900 mbps. The "modem" is: ZTE zxhn h298n.

My current setup: ISP's cable goes into the modem's WAN port, then LAN1 from the modem goes into the Asus router's WAN port, and lastly my computer is connected to the router's LAN1 port. This setup gets me 220mbps.

The router-less setup: ISP's cable goes into modem's WAN port then my PC goes into LAN1 of the modem. This gets me 800-900mbps.
(Every single cable is Cat5e, and none of them should be damaged.)

I have tried different firmwares, those doesnt seem to do much.
Current firmware on the asus router: Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.45_0

Any help, tip would be appreciated! :)
http://enterprise.zte.com.cn/en/pro...re/cpe/broadband/201404/t20140418_422573.html

I'm a little confused. The ISP device is both a modem and a router. I just googled it. To that you add on a 2nd router and use its WAN port. I'm not an engineer but, to get to the point, you're not supposed to hook it up that way. Two routers in series isn't the way to do it. Bad performance is to be expected. A close look at the specs say your ISP router has wireless. Why add a 2nd wireless router?

If you want to use an aftermarket router as your only device, either replace the ISP device with a cable modem or find a way to turn off the ISP device router functions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

Can any of you guys suggest a cable modem?

Cable modems tend to be ISP-specific, as it must be on their list of supported models.

I don't think that's the case here. My ISP actually advises everyone to change their modem.

Personally I use a Thompson DCM475. It's DOCSIS 3.0 capable, working fine so far after 18 months.

I think they have a DCM476 out now, however my ISP doesn't support it.

I'd recommend avoiding Motorola. I've seen too many issues on these forums specific to their modems.

Whatever you choose, make sure it's ONLY a modem, and not a router/modem or "residential gateway", as it's sometimes called. That's the only sure way to basically get a "bridge".

Then let your super awesome ASUS do the rest of the magic. You'll be much happier. Also, your ISP may stop charging the small rental fee for using their equipment, if they are already doing so. So basically, the new modem pays for itself.

I am having the same issues. Before official firmware update, my internal LAN connection was stable with 1Gbps connection but now it is 100Mbps.

Tried all suggestions up here but not working. The only thing I am suspecting is the lame cabling which is done through the wall but it wonders me because it was fine despite of the cabling mess.

I am losing my hair out of this. Any possible solution except changing the entire cable to CAT6 brand new?

I am having the same issues. Before official firmware update, my internal LAN connection was stable with 1Gbps connection but now it is 100Mbps.
That sounds suspiciously like your network card or switch port is configured for 100Mb rather than gigabit.

Tried with other notebook to connect directly from ASUS to notebook and it worked as gps but when i plugged in to desktop it worked in gps for like 1min and renegotiated in 100m... grrr
i guess it's not ASUS problem but desktop end internal lan problem

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!