What's new

Google Fiber 1GB XT8 router upload speed is about half my download speed on WiFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tigger86

New Around Here
So I got google fiber recently 1GB connection and over WiFi I can’t seem to get symmetrical download and upload speeds. It’s always about half my download speed. Hardwired I have basically symmetrical speeds 900/900+. Any suggestions on how I can get my wifi upload speeds up?

I have QoS off and I am running a wireless backhaul. Not using smart connect and running separate ssid for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

Attachments

• E25882D5-6051-4E7B-9DFE-9897D0E722D6.jpeg
    E25882D5-6051-4E7B-9DFE-9897D0E722D6.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 1CBB7A18-6630-43B3-B2BE-F36150ACD6BA.jpeg
    1CBB7A18-6630-43B3-B2BE-F36150ACD6BA.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 34
While it's not symmetrical it appears to be pretty healthy. Are you experiencing troubles other than seeing the reported figures?

While it's not symmetrical it appears to be pretty healthy. Are you experiencing troubles other than seeing the reported figures?
No performance issues was just more so curious on the drastic difference between download and upload. And if there are any tips to optimize.

Would need a great deal more information to assist with optimization. You may find it quicker to just experiment some. Keep notes, and reboot after to make sure results aren't flukes.

Would need a great deal more information to assist with optimization. You may find it quicker to just experiment some. Keep notes, and reboot after to make sure results aren't flukes.
Yeah I’ll give it a shot but I suspect the lower upload speed might be a router limitation as I’ve read some reviews about the xt8. Perhaps I should just try a different router and see what kind of results I get.

I own a set of XT8s. They'll traffic more than 1Gb/s from a wireless client out through the WAN port. At least in semi-rural US there's no such limitation as you suggest.

I suspect it's more likely to be a client limitation. You've told us exactly zero about your test methodology.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!