What's new

not sure I 100% understand MOCA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If splitting that much, you should consider a distribution amp instead of passive splitters. That is a lot of signal loss to deal with. I don't use CATV nor MOCA at this house, but I do have ANT distributed throughout the house and use an 8-port AMP splitter early in the stream to limit my losses as much as possible. In your case, using the AMP splitter would possibly be beneficial for distribution to the TVs and to avoid MOCA challenges, bypass it for those since I have no idea if the AMPs can pass the MOCA signals or not.

I can't find any amp splitters that support MOCA 2.0 frequencies, so that's not great. But I guess I can put an amplifier on the main line before anything else happens. Then, this is the best/simplest way I can think to set it up:

moca diagram 2.png

Then I could get, say, a 3-unit Eero system. One unit as router + wifi in the garage, and the other two in AP mode hanging off MOCA adapters at the far corners of the house.

Last edited:
ANT level signal is much lower amplitude than what the cable company or the moca modems are using. The ANT should only be amplified at the antenna mast anyway to get the highest S/N.

You should have a MOCA blocking filter between the two splitters.

ANT level signal is much lower amplitude than what the cable company or the moca modems are using. The ANT should only be amplified at the antenna mast anyway to get the highest S/N.
Agreed. I have an AMP on the antenna itself, a 50' run across the house then it hits the distribution amp to go throughout the entire house.

Agreed ANT signal is quite a bit weaker than cable...but still a 12dB loss is quite drastic on either setup. I would not amp cable inbound like the diagram depicts...if anything, you only amp or get a 0dB splitter for the TV connections.

Ever try one of these ?
https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/
Solves the need for a distribution amp if there are dlna supporting TVs in the house.
I have three...that was the primary reason for my distribution amp since I needed to split so much. However mine are the older model which don't support the streaming features...nor do most of my TVs support streaming directly.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

No antenna here... the house is getting digital CATV from a jerkoff cable co. that requires STBs in front of every TV to decrypt the channels. So HDHomeRuns are useless. And, worth mentioning, this is my parents' house and they are baby boomers and love their TV, so even partial cord-cutting is out of the question. (I used to have an HDHomeRun myself though, I used it to get OTA TV into an always-running EyeTV app on a headless Mac Mini... I could control the channel and recording functions from my phone, and pass the recordings to Plex and stream them around the house. It was a nice little home-brew set-up.)

Agreed ANT signal is quite a bit weaker than cable...but still a 12dB loss is quite drastic on either setup. I would not amp cable inbound like the diagram depicts...if anything, you only amp or get a 0dB splitter for the TV connections.

But, the only way to do that would be to go back to the idea of physically isolating the MOCA network from the TV network. And, I'm not sure what a 0dB splitter is... I can't even find such a thing when I google it.

But oh! Look at this!. 8-way amplified splitter, hard to read but looks like +4dB to each port, and it has an integrated MOCA PoE filter, and "All ports 'talking' – MoCA devices on the bypass port can communicate to all other output ports."

That seems almost purpose-built for my application. I could eliminate the amplifier in the diagram above, and simply use this as the 8-way splitter, with the MOCA line from the router feeding into the bypass port...?

if you want MOCA2, better check with the company as there was not clarity in the feedback about which version was supported. Also, may need to verify exactly what the cable company is providing so there are no conflicts with their equipment.

I'm not sure what a 0dB splitter is... I can't even find such a thing when I google it.
When you go through a vendors entire offering, you will see a large variety of gain options from 0 to 16 dB. 0 usually just means it has just enough boost to cover the losses of the splitter so your outgoing signal lines are roughly the same level as the original inbound. Useful when splitting an already strong signal into multiple short runs that do not need more gain.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!