What's new

Not Sure I'm Really Ready for Ubuntu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Catia

New Around Here
I have a MSI Wind Nettop and I'm thinking of converting it to a NAS, I'm okay on the hardware part but the Linux Server side set-up seems intimidating to attempt, I have tried Linux before and somewhat understand the basics but that's about it.

I basically want a raid 1 set-up to back up my PC's files, digital pictures and important docs. Is this the right direction or should I just go with an esata raid 1 external enclosure an manually perform backups when needed? I don't really need a server for any other reasons right now other then what I detailed.

So all I want to do is be able to access the drive from Firefox on my XP based PC and copy the respected files to the NAS for backup.

Is there a detailed tutorial for beginners on setting up what I desire with Ubuntu Server and can I expect any issues using XP over 7?

Thanks!

If all you want to do is back up your main PC, then an external drive is the cheapest way to go. I wouldn't worry about RAID, a single drive would be just fine.

If you want to try a NAS, but don't want to wrestle with Linux, I'd try Windows Home Server.

It would be my only backup so that's why I thought RAID 1 at a minimum would be safe. I never had a HDD failure but I don't want to chance it with some data, ie digital pics.

I know WHS doesn't have softRAID but Folder Duplication or Drive Extender which can slow down file transfer so I read. A few claimed to get raid working but the Wind does not support hardware raid. I really don't care about performance persay.

Looks like I'll be giving WHS a try, thanks!

If you want more "insurance", I'd get two separate external drives and alternate backups to them, keeping one in a safe place (fireproof box and/or offsite).

WHS file duplication does cause a performance drop, but only when it's running, which is scheduled for low-use periods (like overnight).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!