What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin - NTP Daemon for AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Best wishes to you. Glad it is working. what do you think you did that fixed it?

must have been replacing the ISP DNS servers which were not pingable to 1.1.1.1 , 8.8.8.8.
The original servers he had configured were 194.168.8.100 and 194.168.4.100. Now I dont really know whether those servers were his valid ISP DNS Servers or whether he had them misconfigured. However as at today they are still not reachable.

Last edited:
Noticed my ntp config file was wiped at some point. Today I decided to uninstall and reinstall ntpmerlin using AMTM. While this resolved merlin NTP from no longer working, it created a duplicate 'addons' page within the WEB UI. Is anyone aware of how to correct this without a factory reset...

upload_2020-5-27_9-22-55.png

Noticed my ntp config file was wiped at some point. Today I decided to uninstall and reinstall ntpmerlin using AMTM. While this resolved merlin NTP from no longer working, it created a duplicate 'addons' page within the WEB UI. Is anyone aware of how to correct this without a factory reset...

View attachment 23739
A reboot should clear it! Or
Code:
rm /tmp/index_style.css
ntpmerlin startup

Anyone else seeing a min update in amtm but when trying to update it states "
ntpMerlin: No new version - latest is v2.5.1" o_O

NTPMerlin VServer ports redirection disappear after, i think, a firewall restart

Does one need to configure the client for NTP servers using NtpMerlin? I've been using it as is. If so, is there any documentation on how to do it? I didn't find much with a search on this thread. I did follow the link and read some on the NTP pool, but didn't learn how to configure them or if I need to.
TIA, jts

RT-AC86U w/ 384.17, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, 250/10 cable w/ Netgear CM-1000, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, DoT, Scribe, UiScribe, Connmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, NtpMerlin

Does one need to configure the client for NTP servers using NtpMerlin? I've been using it as is. If so, is there any documentation on how to do it? I didn't find much with a search on this thread. I did follow the link and read some on the NTP pool, but didn't learn how to configure them or if I need to.
TIA, jts

RT-AC86U w/ 384.17, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, 250/10 cable w/ Netgear CM-1000, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, DoT, Scribe, UiScribe, Connmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, NtpMerlin
nope you can just use the re direct, and either winscp to change the time servers to the closet ones to you or nano from command line to do it.

Here is a simple yet effective ntp.conf
Assumptions:
  • Router LAN interface is br0
  • NTP pool time.cloudflare.com is closer to you than pool.ntp.org
  • Occasionally you will download the leap seconds list
Code:
#
logfile /opt/var/spool/ntp/ntp.log
driftfile /opt/var/spool/ntp/ntp.drift
leapfile /opt/var/spool/ntp/leap-seconds.list # https://hpiers.obspm.fr/iers/bul/bulc/ntp/leap-seconds.list
#
restrict default limited kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery # restrictive default IPv4
restrict -6 default limited kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery # restrictive default IPv6
restrict source nomodify notrap noquery # required for pool directive if using restrictive default permissions
restrict 127.0.0.1 # permissive localhost IPv4
restrict -6 ::1 # permissive localhost IPv6
#
interface ignore wildcard
interface listen br0
#
pool time.cloudflare.com
#

Thanks for the help, folks. I am in rural MS so I am going to try to find out where the pool.ntp.org is located, but there's a good chance that cloudfare is closer.
If so, I will use your configuration if you don't mind.
However, my WAN port got fried by lightning, and at thelonelycoder's suggested fix, I have a dual WAN with LAN1 as my primary internet connection, so I may need to revise it? I don't know if that would change the default from br0. Don't seem like it would, I can try and see if it breaks anything I reckon.
thanks again,
jts

I used to have ntpMerlin installed on my AX88U. For numerous reasons i decided to Nuke the router and start from a clean base. Something I had never done since I originally set up the router from new. Dirty flashing left, right and centre.
Because of this, I am deciding what to install. In the past i just tried everything but I would like to now take a more informed approach.
To that end, may I ask what ntpMerlin brings to the table in compared to the standard NTP settings in Merlin? One obvious thing I know of are the lovely graphs, but there must me more to it than that.

I used to have ntpMerlin installed on my AX88U. For numerous reasons i decided to Nuke the router and start from a clean base. Something I had never done since I originally set up the router from new. Dirty flashing left, right and centre.
Because of this, I am deciding what to install. In the past i just tried everything but I would like to now take a more informed approach.
To that end, may I ask what ntpMerlin brings to the table in compared to the standard NTP settings in Merlin? One obvious thing I know of are the lovely graphs, but there must me more to it than that.
ntpmerlin existed before the ntp daemon was added to the firmware (in fact, @kvic originally developed a project for running ntpd on routers). at that time, the benefit was a local source of time sync for devices. since ntpd was added to the firmware, the main differences are the charts. you get a bit more control over ntpd with ntp.conf in ntpmerlin, but for most users that won't be a big deal

Thank you for you reply. Please don't think i was 'downplaying' your EXCELLENT script, you know I am really grateful for each and every one of them.

The charts are really kool though!!!

I think for most users, the charts and graphs are more than just 'cool'. They provide for very easy and direct feedback on whether ntpMerlin is working or not. This in itself is a huge difference for many of my customers and myself.