What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin - NTP Daemon for AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I get this after updating, anything to worry about?

ntpMerlin: Downloading latest version (v1.3.0) of ntpMerlin
ntpMerlin: New version of ntpdstats_www.asp downloaded
mv: can't rename '/jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin.d/ntpdstats_www.asp': No such file or directory
ntpMerlin: ntpMerlin successfully updated
ERROR: opening '/jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin.d/ntpdstats_rrd.rrd': No such file or directory

Strange, run u again to make sure

I got the same thing as @GoNz0 when i did the update, and on the second time i got this:

mv: can't rename '/jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin.d/ntpdstats_www.asp': No such file or directory
ntpMerlin: No new version - latest is v1.3.0

But on the third time everything was fine, but before updating for the third time, i did ntpmerlin startup then i did the update.

Choose an option: u

Press enter to continue...

I got the same thing as @GoNz0 when i did the update, and on the second time i got this:

But on the third time everything was fine, but before updating for the third time, i did ntpmerlin startup then i did the update.

Choose an option: u

Press enter to continue...
I'll see if I can handle the files moving around cleaner

Yeah I did after the 1st update but still got that, anyway I just ran the update and got this, so all good now :)

ntpMerlin: MD5 hash of ntpMerlin does not match - downloading updated v1.3.0
ntpMerlin: ntpMerlin successfully updated

Last edited:
Yesterday, on five routers I got the same errors as reported above. I just kept running 'u' to update until there were no errors and then ran the script name followed by 'startup' on each script.

No errors since. :)

Thank you Jack Yaz for all the improvements! :) :) :)

Jack, I had a show stopper error three days ago. After reboot, my router could not get a time sync. I tried three times, then via an SSH terminal, I ran "rm ntpmerlin*" in /jffs/scripts/ and booted again. After it came back up it synced fine. To make sure I had a proper removal, I ran the GitHub install curl command and then uninstalled again via ntpMerlin uninstall.

Here are the critical issues that I found every time in the syslog:
Code:
May  4 22:05:35 rc_service: skip the event: restart_dnsmasq.
May  4 22:05:37 rc_service: skip the event: start_ntpd.
May  4 22:05:50 rc_service: skip the event: restart_dnsmasq.
May  4 22:05:55 rc_service: skip the event: stop_upnp.
May  4 22:06:15 rc_service: skip the event: start_firewall.
May  4 22:06:36 rc_service: skip the event: start_dnsmasq.
May  4 22:10:16 Diversion: logging is disabled, cannot count ads, from /opt/bin/diversion
May  4 22:10:27 Skynet: [*] NTP Failed To Start After 5 Minutes - Please Fix Immediately!
May  4 22:10:29 S77ntpd: NTP failed to sync after 5 minutes - please check immediately!
May  4 22:10:29 S77ntpd: NTP failed to sync after 5 minutes - please check immediately!
May  4 22:13:58 rc_service: skip the event: start_vpnclient1.
That May 4 date is the build date for 384.11_0 on my AC86U. It was May 10 I had this problem.

I posted the full syslog from boot to shutdown of last no-sync session (redacted critical info) on pastebin if you want to check it.

https://pastebin.com/3vqfK36E

I've been trying to resolve another script issue, so for now I have removed all of your scripts. :(

Jack, I had a show stopper error three days ago. After reboot, my router could not get a time sync. I tried three times, then via an SSH terminal, I ran "rm ntpmerlin*" in /jffs/scripts/ and booted again. After it came back up it synced fine. To make sure I had a proper removal, I ran the GitHub install curl command and then uninstalled again via ntpMerlin uninstall.

Here are the critical issues that I found every time in the syslog:
Code:
May  4 22:05:35 rc_service: skip the event: restart_dnsmasq.
May  4 22:05:37 rc_service: skip the event: start_ntpd.
May  4 22:05:50 rc_service: skip the event: restart_dnsmasq.
May  4 22:05:55 rc_service: skip the event: stop_upnp.
May  4 22:06:15 rc_service: skip the event: start_firewall.
May  4 22:06:36 rc_service: skip the event: start_dnsmasq.
May  4 22:10:16 Diversion: logging is disabled, cannot count ads, from /opt/bin/diversion
May  4 22:10:27 Skynet: [*] NTP Failed To Start After 5 Minutes - Please Fix Immediately!
May  4 22:13:58 rc_service: skip the event: start_vpnclient1.
That May 4 date is the build date for 384.11_0 on my AC86U. It was May 10 I had this problem.

I posted the full syslog from boot to shutdown of last no-sync session (redacted critical info) on pastebin if you want to check it.

https://pastebin.com/3vqfK36E

I've been trying to resolve another script issue, so for now I have removed all of your scripts. :(
I would check whatever you've added to stubby.yml.add - your router is not in a good state at all with that many services hanging

I would check whatever you've added to stubby.yml.add - your router is not in a good state at all with that many services hanging
Thank you, this is all. As you can see from the date, it worked fine for a few days until my issue, and works fine now with all the DoT tests I have run.
Code:
# added by me 04/30/19
tls_min_version: GETDNS_TLS1_3

Thank you, this is all. As you can see from the date, it worked fine for a few days until my issue, and works fine now with all the DoT tests I have run.
Code:
# added by me 04/30/19
tls_min_version: GETDNS_TLS1_3
I seem to recall that breaks dns until the time syncs, as it prevents stubby from working in insecure mode to sync the time. That question best answered on the stubby/DoT thread though

First, a list of truth's already spoken:
I would say the ntpd is accurate enough for 99.9% of users.
If it's polling much more frequently and not adapting the frequency over time, then it's not following proper ntpd rules, and is also a breach of netiquette that might result in your IP getting blacklisted from that server.
Unless you work for SpaceX, a 1-2 seconds difference in clock accuracy won't be noticeable...

Perhaps a couple more may loosely be added to the list:
Snbforum members enjoy looking at graphs
If kvic's implementation were causing issues with IP's getting blacklisted, we would likely be reading many posts about that here.
Snbforum members feel better if their setups might qualify as 'Ready for SpaceX'.
SpaceX probably doesn't rely on public ntp servers for timing critical stuff anyways (gps sync, etc... are more likely).

Regardless where the truth lies, I'm running the script nptd just because I get too annoyed when my mossiac camera feed shows timestamps off sync by a couple seconds. :p

Kevin

First, a list of truth's already spoken:

Perhaps a couple more may loosely be added to the list:
Snbforum members enjoy looking at graphs
If kvic's implementation were causing issues with IP's getting blacklisted, we would likely be reading many posts about that here.
Snbforum members feel better if their setups might qualify as 'Ready for SpaceX'.
SpaceX probably doesn't rely on public ntp servers for timing critical stuff anyways (gps sync, etc... are more likely).

Regardless where the truth lies, I'm running the script nptd just because I get too annoyed when my mossiac camera feed shows timestamps off sync by a couple seconds. :p

Kevin

My 'truth' is partly the nice-looking graphs. But only as of the feedback that the sync is happening and to what degree. :)

I seem to recall that breaks dns until the time syncs, as it prevents stubby from working in insecure mode to sync the time. That question best answered on the stubby/DoT thread though
Duh....... :rolleyes:
I'll remove and try to verify.
Thank you.
:confused: :oops: o_O

Just noticed a silent upgrade with no version change. :)

Updated a minute ago (also conmon) and all is working well. The graphs images did fail to load at first, but a few minutes later a browser refresh fixed that.

There's no point in enforcing TLS 1.3. If the remote server supports 1.3, it will be used. If it doesn't, then it will fallback to 1.2 rather than have your router get stuck during boot as it fails to connect to the configured nameservers. And 1.2 is perfectly safe.

hmm, had to reinstall and now i get

Code:
/jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin: line 1053: ntpq: not found
/jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin: line 1053: rrdtool: not found

Anything I should do at this point?
Thanks

v1.3.0 is available
Changelog:
Code:
New directory structure in /jffs/scripts
uiDivStats compatibility
After updating also run
Code:
ntpmerlin startup
I have 384.8_2 on a U86. Since updating to 1.3.0, I need to manually do "ntpmerlin startup" after a reboot or it does not show up in the GUI Tools menu. How can I make this be handled automatically after a reboot?