What's new

ntpMerlin ntpMerlin - NTP Daemon for AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For those who switched over to Chrony....have you made any changes to the config?

Quick question. Where does the pid file for chrony reside? I did the uf update (nice addons!) but ntpd was shown as the Timeserver. I clicked on chrony - but it didn't restart. It was running.

From what I have seen in the past, it thinks it is already running (it wasn't).

I started it manually.

Maybe on an S77chronyd restart, force remove the pid file?

Quick question. Where does the pid file for chrony reside? I did the uf update (nice addons!) but ntpd was shown as the Timeserver. I clicked on chrony - but it didn't restart. It was running.

From what I have seen in the past, it thinks it is already running (it wasn't).

I started it manually.

Maybe on an S77chronyd restart, force remove the pid file?
That suggests your config file was set to ntpd, i guess maybe where you manually pioneered chrony? I can't say I've seen any issues with the pid file in testing

That was it... Yes, I had compiled and installed chronyd before Entware made it available...
My original chrony.conf was in /opt/share/ntpmerlin.d.
In the past, the most likely startup failure was a pid file hanging around. I checked the logs after you mentioned config file and:
chronyd[14362]: Fatal error : Could not open configuration file /jffs/addons/ntpmerlin.d/chrony.conf : No such file or directory

So, moved my config file to /jffs/addons/ntpmerlin.d and a restart worked.
Thanks (I should have checked the log...)

That was it... Yes, I had compiled and installed chronyd before Entware made it available...
My original chrony.conf was in /opt/share/ntpmerlin.d.
In the past, the most likely startup failure was a pid file hanging around. I checked the logs after you mentioned config file and:
chronyd[14362]: Fatal error : Could not open configuration file /jffs/addons/ntpmerlin.d/chrony.conf : No such file or directory

So, moved my config file to /jffs/addons/ntpmerlin.d and a restart worked.
Thanks (I should have checked the log...)
no worries!

in other news, have you dabbled with nts to upstream? https://fedoramagazine.org/secure-ntp-with-nts/
I think we'll need chrony v4 though :(

no worries!

in other news, have you dabbled with nts to upstream? https://fedoramagazine.org/secure-ntp-with-nts/
I think we'll need chrony v4 though :(
Yes, I saw the 4.0 branch. I have compiled it on my AX88u. Running quite well. I can't seem to get NTS enabled. It requires the gnutls library. The configure script reports no gnutls - so NTS is disabled. I did install the two gnutls packages available on entware. Still won't compile with NTS enabled.
I did compile it with NTS support on Raspbian. Haven't tested NTS (Cloudflare claims to support NTS).
We will have to ask the Entware devs to make sure NTS is enabled when we ask for 4.0

Yes, I saw the 4.0 branch. I have compiled it on my AX88u. Running quite well. I can't seem to get NTS enabled. It requires the gnutls library. The configure script reports no gnutls - so NTS is disabled. I did install the two gnutls packages available on entware. Still won't compile with NTS enabled.
I did compile it with NTS support on Raspbian. Haven't tested NTS (Cloudflare claims to support NTS).
We will have to ask the Entware devs to make sure NTS is enabled when we ask for 4.0
OK, since it isn't as simple as I'd hoped I won't hold up releasing v3 any longer. Incoming!

I'm stuck yet with the missing nobody user. Can't solve it.

I'm stuck yet with the missing nobody user. Can't solve it.
For the time being, you could try to replace the "-u nobody" with "-u admin" in /opt/etc/init.d/S77chronyd...