What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the consensus on using Roaming Assist? Seems initially my clients want to stay on the main AP. Have tried both wireless and wired and seems to work fine (had to move from bedroom to media room since wife didn't want it in there even though at any given time we have 4-5 devices in there already using wifi and cellular). Even after moving to upstairs media room, was getting 200/100 speeds in our bedroom whereas before we'd sometimes switch over to cellular. Will the GT-AC5300 nodes stick with a 20Mhz 5G-1 channel BW even if it's hardwired and 80Mhz is selected?

What is the consensus on using Roaming Assist? Seems initially my clients want to stay on the main AP. Have tried both wireless and wired and seems to work fine (had to move from bedroom to media room since wife didn't want it in there even though at any given time we have 4-5 devices in there already using wifi and cellular). Even after moving to upstairs media room, was getting 200/100 speeds in our bedroom whereas before we'd sometimes switch over to cellular. Will the GT-AC5300 nodes stick with a 20Mhz 5G-1 channel BW even if it's hardwired and 80Mhz is selected?
Could you send the feedback by Feedback function for me ?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 ASUS_Z012DA 發送

take a look for the Node still goes offline usually.

@arthurlien I've never seen them go offline in my setup (4 X AC68U all in AP Mode) even on old firmware so its for others to do ...

StephenH

Last edited:
Thanks for the new beta version Asus!

Unfortunately, the time zone on my device is still continuously changing. I'll set it to Central standard (-6 gmt) and the time will be correct. Not even an hour later, I look back on the administration tab and the time zone is back to Guadalajara, Mexico City (-6 GMT) and the time is wrong. Both of those zones are -6 GMT, why is it changing the actual time?

I just reset it back to Central Time Zone and the time is correct again, ie. Fri, Dec 15 20:57:39 2017. I'll update this post when it changes back...

@arthurlien, one of my nodes is going offline intermittently - but I had problems with that particular router even before I flashed it to the Nov firmware. I would get WiFi but no internet intermittently, and then it would come back by itself. This particular unit also keeps on going offline as a node and I have to reboot it for it to work properly again. I have not updated it to the new firmware yet.

I've just updated router and node to new firmware. I did router first and node second. Previously when node was offline my doorbell would connect to router and stay there until I killed circuit breaker to doorbell and then it would connect to strongest signal. After node came back up from firmware upgrade doorbell connected back to it. Early days yet but thought I'd mention here.

Change logs:
1. add client list on nodes.
I am noticing that the Client IP Address is showing 'offline' then occasionally it shows the actual IP Address, then it rotates back to 'offline'. The ASUS Router app for IOS shows the devices connected all the time and I am able to connect to devices all the time so it's a UI issue in web interface. Great to have visibility of clients in Web UI though. Loving the AiMesh. Thanks for allowing us to beta test.

I've just updated router and node to new firmware. I did router first and node second. Previously when node was offline my doorbell would connect to router and stay there until I killed circuit breaker to doorbell and then it would connect to strongest signal. After node came back up from firmware upgrade doorbell connected back to it. Early days yet but thought I'd mention here.

Be interesting to see what you observe in next week or so as it pertains to our discussion about blacklisting/locking certain MAC addresses to specific AP's for fixed wireless devices that are within strong signal range of multiple AIMesh units, to see if it has gotten more usable with the beta.

StephenH

Be interesting to see what you observe in next week or so as it pertains to our discussion about blacklisting/locking certain MAC addresses to specific AP's for fixed wireless devices that are within strong signal range of multiple AIMesh units, to see if it has gotten more usable with the beta.

StephenH
Yeah be interesting for sure. I'll kill power to the node a few times over the next week and observe the current behaviour.

i updated node first, main router later (both AC86u units). I noticed the RAM in the main router to be around 65% even after a reboot... is that normal? Never paid attention, but seems high

I am noticing that the Client IP Address is showing 'offline' then occasionally it shows the actual IP Address, then it rotates back to 'offline'. The ASUS Router app for IOS shows the devices connected all the time and I am able to connect to devices all the time so it's a UI issue in web interface. Great to have visibility of clients in Web UI though. Loving the AiMesh. Thanks for allowing us to beta test.
Will be fixed in next release

i updated node first, main router later (both AC86u units). I noticed the RAM in the main router to be around 65% even after a reboot... is that normal? Never paid attention, but seems high
Could you send the feedback by Feedback function? I need more information to clarify.

High memory usage on Broadcom HND models like the RT-AC86U is normal. Broadcom reserves 13% of the total memory for buffering. My RT-AC86U sits at around 172 MB free.

RAM usage only around 25% on my AC68U AIMesh "Router" (in AP Mode though). I have played with AC86U's though recently and they do seem to use a lot more RAM as standard, so probably nothing to worry about?

StephenH

Last edited:
Hello,

I have an issue with my AC68U Node falling offline after a period of time. (few hours)
Also, If I reboot the Router (not node) the Router has an empty AiMesh Node data table and the Node does not reconnect and is not visible post a search.

If I reset NVR and Reset Node, the node becomes visible again to the Router and will pair successfully again.

This is running a clean install with no alterations to settings, other than changing the wireless power under Wireless/Advanced.

Is this normal.

Config 2 x AC68U 1 Router, 1 Node. Both running
Firmware Version:9.0.0.4.382_18943

Cheers
G
I have updated to the latest firmware and the node seems to be working better and hasn't fallen off as of yet. Will keep posted once I bring the Router down for a reboot this evening to confirm the Node Table/Node is still in place or reconnects post a reboot.

I have noticed the chat has been around Client isolation.

I will give feedback that, I tried restoring my config file from the AC68U running 3.0.0.4 (on AiMesh FW) once I updated to AiMesh FW (this settings file had about 25 IP Reservations in the DHCP table)
This proved to be a no go for AiMesh Node, as clients kept falling offline once I added the Node.
Also, the likes of Media streaming to Play-Fi Multiroom Speakers was not possible. (not detected)
Also, Internet connection on Node was really poor.

So I clean installed from hard reset/nvram with no settings file and no manual DHCP reservation and that was the lead up to my original post.

Now on Dec FW, I have had a half day of stability.

** Question: Is there any known issues with creating manual DHCP reservations? Does a reboot on the Router, push a reboot to the Nodes also? **

The requested feature of locking devices to nodes sounds like a really good feature...

Cheers
G

I thing the new aimesh functionality is awsome. I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it OK to disable WPS aften the node is connected?

2. I notice that the aimesh node shows as offline aften a while, but i think the clients are connected still and working. Is this a known bug still?

Btw. I have reset, and upgraded to the latest firmware. Same behavior.
b0d5c8fee4834b39cc3ca15930d1dcb4.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Rt-AC68U, 9.0.0.4_382_19612 Mac address filter not updating on node, at least for 2.4G
When I disable the mac address filter it can connect to the node, when I enable mac address filter it can only connect to my main AP

Another problem, I config the node to use ethernet as backhaul, one of the node show it is using ethernet but actually it is using wifi as backhaul.

I don't have these problem with 9.0.0.4_382_18943

Update:
If I enable both 2.4G and 5G mac filter then the node will reject all wifi connection, both 2.4G and 5G, if I only enable the 2.4G mac filter then it work as expected

p.s. reboot, power on/off the node didn't fix the problem

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!