What's new

[Official Beta] AiMesh beta firmware for RT-AC68U/RT-AC86U/RT-AC5300/RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post? I had some issues with 9.0.0.4_382_18943 but since upgrading to 9.0.0.4_382_19612 I have experienced the near immediate disconnection of node connection back to weaker signal Router connection.
May be that is me misunderstanding yours, I had issue with 19612 which device rare switch to the stronger signal node, it tend to keep on the weaker signal one, with 18943 it will switch very fast. Another problem I had with 19612 is enable the mac address filter will make the node reject all wifi conenction

May be that is me misunderstanding yours, I had issue with 19612 which device rare switch to the stronger signal node, it tend to keep on the weaker signal one, with 18943 it will switch very fast. Another problem I had with 19612 is enable the mac address filter will make the node reject all wifi conenction
Nah we have the same problem. Thanks for clarifying.

I am getting the exact same thing in my GT-AC5300 logs as well. I do not know if Aruther has commented on this or not. Just wanted to let you know another GT-AC5300 owner seeing this as well

Yes, it's on all GT-AC5300 running 19612 release.
It will be fixed in the next release. Source: Arthur.
I'm running another beta 19683 and those messages are not there anymore. But there are other annoying once, so it's still work in progress.

The other interesting thing is that the airouter is 40Mhz wide and the ainode is 20Mhz wide measuring with Net Analyzer and Wifi Analyzer. In the wireless configuration, I have it set to 40Mhz for 2.4 with no apparent separate setting for the ainode.
So you're talking about 2.4.
How about in 5GHz? In 19612 Asus fixed a similar problem in 5GHz, where router was using 80MHz channel spacing and node was doing only 20.
Anyway, as a general rule, unless you're leaving into a remote area, where there's no other signals in 2.4GHz, you shouldn't bother with 40MHz in 2.4. It will be unreliable due to external interference in the spectrum.

I can see that the ainode is connected to the airouter through 2.4 and 5Ghz in the main network map but I have a hardline connection to the ainode also. The config button for the ainode on the aimesh interface says this:
View attachment 11285
so it is not clear what channel is being used in my opinion.

I noticed the same. Node is attached on 2.4, 5 and wire. From what I can see, there's almost no traffic over wireless. And file transfer speed clearly shows both router and node choose wire even with connection type set to auto.

I can see that the ainode is connected to the airouter through 2.4 and 5Ghz in the main network map but I have a hardline connection to the ainode also. The config button for the ainode on the aimesh interface says this:
View attachment 11285
so it is not clear what channel is being used in my opinion.

According to your setting is "Ethernet", if you connected the Ethernet cable, the ethernet will be selected as backhaul. if you disconnected the Ethernet cable, the backhaul will back to wifi. The Channel will be used same as AiMesh Router.

Yes, it's on all GT-AC5300 running 19612 release.
It will be fixed in the next release. Source: Arthur.
I'm running another beta 19683 and those messages are not there anymore. But there are other annoying once, so it's still work in progress.

Hi can you post this 19683 beta for GT-ac5300 on goolge drive and send the link?

If the reason is to get rid of that message, doesn't worth. You'll end up with another one "kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth4". All the time.
I didn't kept the file anyway. Be patient and Asus will be publishing a new beta soon.

If the reason is to get rid of that message, doesn't worth. You'll end up with another one "kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth4". All the time.
I didn't kept the file anyway. Be patient and Asus will be publishing a new beta soon.
Reason is 19612 too many issues, maybe newer build has some fixes ....
And no they don't post anything...
It's only here we can find some new beta's.
GT-AC5300 is their most advanced router, but support up till now is non-existent !!!
Official firmare already 4 months old and lots of issues...

@dwadj, submit feedback from router's interface, explaining what issues do you have. I'm my experience they are responsive.
Regarding the official firmware... I'm with you here. I've been keeping this router on my wish list for months.
And I decided to buy it only when they announced it will be supported in AiMesh release. And that was a real gamble, but with return no question asked option. Knock on wood, so far I'm happy. But, as I said few times here, apart from a 802.3ad link to my Synology, my box doesn't run any other services. I'm having plans for QoS, but that's not a must. I'll keep enabling QoS in every new release until I'll see no errors on syslog and only then I'll decide if I'll keep it on.

Besides the above issue, I have another problem. My node shows "offline" both in the app as well as the GUI, yet it is clearly working with some clients connected to it.

@arthurlien, I sent the feedback just now.
Mine was like that this morning. For grins, I tried the web interface using the node's IP expecting to just get re-routed back to the router. Instead, I was at the node's Firmware ugrade screen. Then I remembered. One of the things I tried last night was something I saw in a post - how to access that screen in order to flash different (non-AiMesh) firmware by going to 192.168.1.xx/AiMesh_Node_FirmwareUpgrade.asp After trying that link last night, I didn't do anything except close that window. I wonder if that left the node in some weird state.

Anyway, this AM I rebooted the node using ssh, and everything looks good now. So, by any chance - had you also tried going to that url?

@dwadj, submit feedback from router's interface, explaining what issues do you have. I'm my experience they are responsive.
Regarding the official firmware... I'm with you here. I've been keeping this router on my wish list for months.
And I decided to buy it only when they announced it will be supported in AiMesh release. And that was a real gamble, but with return no question asked option. Knock on wood, so far I'm happy. But, as I said few times here, apart from a 802.3ad link to my Synology, my box doesn't run any other services. I'm having plans for QoS, but that's not a must. I'll keep enabling QoS in every new release until I'll see no errors on syslog and only then I'll decide if I'll keep it on.
speak about the 802.3ad, Synology had a conservative setting on xmit_hash_policy which make nearly all traffic go through a single port, you may want to change the setting in order to spread traffic across all port more even.

To much hassle with the last beta release, lots of disconnections and offline issues, installing back the 9.0.0.4.382_18943-g5cf14d5 , was much more stable on my two AC68U.

Waiting for the next beta.

Pax

A few words about Guest network support in AP/AiMesh nodes. Last time I tried (in non-AiMesh) there was a serious security problem with Guest in APs. The "Access Intranet" setting didn't work. Guests logged-in had full visibility/access to all LAN devices. It worked as expected for Routers but not APs.
I isolate most of my wireless "smart" devices to a Guest login because I don't trust their firmware and can't prevent firmware updates. But I only enable Guest on my main router due to the above flaw.
So if/when Guest support is added to nodes, if the above isn't fixed, we have a problem.

Example: In ASUSWRT and Merlin, if I wirelessly logged-in as a guest through my AP, I could use the web interface to log-in to the router and/or get to all LAN resources. I remember this being pointed-out in a Merlin thread and he stated that it would be difficult to fix.
So if this security hole isn't fixed, please make AiMesh Guest Intranet Access configurable on a per/node basis and not just propagated as one setting on the Router. If you can't do that, don't implement it on nodes.

Last edited:
@Ronald Schwerer
Guest support is a different beast altogether!
To work it needs a vlan between node and router. For isolation. Without vlan is just a bad joke as you've seen with standalone AP.
Asus can do it, technically speaking. But adding a vlan means larger MTU (at least 1504) and that's difficult to troubleshoot for users with cheap switches or powerline adapter between router and node. That can easily turn into a nightmare for Asus support. We are living into an advanced world but a freaking MTU issue is still a hard topic.

Oh yea already did that, so first time before official 15984 release many many issues, so BeneLux support told me to wait for next release...
Ok 15984 has been released but still a lot of disconnects, IPTV not working, ... so again contacted them and ok they did send me a new firmware with only the IPTV fix. For other issues i had to wait for next release but this is now already more than 4 months, all other routers get updates, why not the GT-ac5300, so i'm running out of patience with this $400 brick. At a certain moment i re-installed my good old rt-ac68 (merlin firm) back so wifi was again great... except 5Ghz range is not that good on the old one...
So yes they are maybe responsive but to me i have the feeling there's more wrong with the GT-Ac5300 than only the firmware...

I w
A few words about Guest network support in AP/AiMesh nodes. Last time I tried (in non-AiMesh) there was a serious security problem with Guest in APs. The "Access Intranet" setting didn't work. Guests logged-in had full visibility/access to all LAN devices. It worked as expected for Routers but not APs.
I isolate most of my wireless "smart" devices to a Guest login because I don't trust their firmware and can't prevent firmware updates. But I only enable Guest on my main router due to the above flaw.
So if/when Guest support is added to nodes, if the above isn't fixed, we have a problem.

Example: In ASUSWRT and Merlin, if I wirelessly logged-in as a guest through my AP, I could use the web interface to log-in to the router and/or get to all LAN resources. I remember this being pointed-out in a Merlin thread and he stated that it would be difficult to fix.
So if this security hole isn't fixed, please make AiMesh Guest Intranet Access configurable on a per/node basis and not just propagated as one setting on the Router. If you can't do that, don't implement it on nodes.
I will say that is by design and how the network works, when you use it as router it had control of all traffic thus it work, but if work as an AP it had no control of those traffic, which is the job of a router , thus it didn't work. There are other way such as vlan, sperate lan segment, etc, but still the job of a router/switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!